‹ Prequel: A spotlight of my own
Status: SEQUEL TIME

Notbroken

All Star Weekend (Part 3)

My phone buzzed in my ear as I awoke the all star game day‘s late afternoon, Of course it was Lex saying how she had drama to tell me when I got back. A small chuckle escaped my mouth as I replied with an ‘Ok’ and smiley. It was way to early to ask what and with who.

I opted for staying in my bed, listening to the boys in the other room chat about last night while I scanned through channels, until I ended up finding Mamma Mia. The movie had just begun so I turned it up to a decent level and headed into the bathroom to start getting ready.

Today was a perfect day to wear my Louboutin turquoise pumps and matching earrings my mom had bought me about a week after my Buffalo Sabre first game, so I paired them with my little black dress.

As soon as I started curling my hair I heard my favorite Mamma Mia song, ‘Gimme Gimme Gimme’ begin playing, with Amanda Seyfried dancing around on the screen. I began joining her, dancing around in my bathroom and singing along like I was with her.

I took a break and peered out into my room, neither of them were there, so I took off my heels, grabbed my brush and turned the TV up all the way.

“What the hell” I heard Pat yell from his room after a few lines of the song, then my door started to open.

I continued dancing and singing as the boys faces poked in from the door, “Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnighttttt, wont somebody help me chase the shadows away” I moved my way over to the boys and began dancing around them as they laughed.

“Come on guys join in!” I said as I grabbed both of their hands and pulled them into my dancing space.

Pat sat down on the bed while Jon moved back to where I had just pulled him from but I kept singing and dancing around them. As I moved closer to Pat he stuck his hand out and I twirled myself around him which lead Jon to laugh.

“Gimme gimme gimme,” I sang as I pulled them both up again and danced around as the song began to end. They were hysterically laughing by the end though, I had accomplished at least one thing this trip, making Captain Serious cry from laughing!

The boys slowed down their laughing fit as I stopped dancing and walked back into the bathroom like nothing happened.

“You are crazy Shay!” Pat said as I heard them both leave the room. I smiled to myself and continued curling my hair. I wasn’t crazy, I was just starting to break out the cocoon I had put myself in for far too long.
My hair took a good hour and a half, as I wanted it to be perfect for the game, and I tacked on another 30 minutes because I kept messing up. I could hear by the last five minutes the boys getting restless, I was in no mood to hear bitching either so I hurried my process up.

“You just continue to impress don’t ya baby?” Patrick announced as I walked through the door and he wrapped his arm around my waist after hopping to his feet like a little kid. By his reactions to my outfits you’d think he never got any, which I knew was not the case.

“Third wheel for life…” Jon replied with a smirk and an eye-brow raise.

The boys were also looking sharp, both had sleek black suits on with Jon in a navy blue tie and of course Pat, in a stand-out pink one. Their hair was the normal, Jon’s sleeked up and Pat’s flow just hanging out.

“Patty, I know I’m hard to resist but I’m sure Jon’s hungry, and so am I, so please let go.” I chuckled as I broke free from his arms.

It was 4:30 by the time we were in the limo/taxi headed to lunch but the boys didn’t care, “half the guys will show up drunk anyways,” Jon scoffed.

We ended up at the same diner we had went to a little more than 24 hours ago, which was fine with me, considering they had all sorts of food imaginable. Jon had told me, way back when we were planning this weekend, that’d he pay for everything, much to my detest, so I was free to order what I wanted.

The waitress came, took our orders, Chicken pastas for the boys and a ham grilled cheese for me. We split up a pitcher of iced tea and talked about the post-all star game festivities.

A post-game party, that was it, enough to scare me shitless for the rest of lunch, red carpet, and the game. I didn’t want to be in the same room as Bobby, not with what had happened last night with Giroux, but there was no way of getting out of it now. I sunk down into my booth seat and continued munching on my food. They paid me no mind while they scarfed down their pastas and before I had enough time to run away, we were back in the car, and on our way.

Pat was the first out of the limo as we reached the beginning of the red carpet. Jon was sitting next to me and must of noticed me trembling because he leaned over and began massaging my shoulders. I sunk into his hands and took a deep breath, this would be the easy part.

“You’re my date now boom-boom,” Jon whispered as he opened his door, walked around the limo and propped open my door to greet me. I smiled back and took his hand as he helped me out of the limo and onto the red carpet. Cameras began snapping and shouts of our names came from all over, Jon still held my hand tight though, e always had a good sense of my emotions. I took a peek up ahead towards Pat who was smiling back, He gave me a thumbs up and went back to signing pictures, jerseys and the occasional boob.

I felt a tug on my arm as Jon lead me over towards the side of the red velvet cord, Next to it stood a familiar face with a TSN microphone. I couldn’t name him but I knew immediately he was one of the major reporters, this was one thing I wanted to shy away from so I gave Jon a squeeze. He chuckled as he let go of my hand and shook hands with the reporter.

“Hello Mr. Toews, and Mrs. Jeno!” The man exclaimed, Jon and I both answered with enthusiastic hellos. I may not like to do interviews but I knew how to act when I did, I guess I got that from my brothers, they loved interviews and always knew what to say.

“So Shauna, you are Jon’s date? I imagine this must be some bet from back in your Shattuck days?”

Jon shook his head and looked into my eyes, “Uhh well, no Jon and I have always been good friends so we just decided, actually on the way here, to be ‘dates’” I air quoted dates as the reporter let out a hearty laugh. Jon smiled too and gave me a wink, Cha-ching, right answer, two points for me.

“Ahh so you left poor Patrick out? Well Shauna, normally I’d be asking Jon tough questions but that fact that you’re hear is such a surprise I can’t help but ask you!,” He smiled back at the camera before continuing, “How are you liking Buffalo? I’m sure Pittsburgh isn’t so happy.”

I couldn’t help but blush, Of course a question like such would come up, and Jon was no help in this instance. “Well I’ve always loved Buffalo, It is such an honor playing for my city, I love the organization too. Notta complaints here.” I beamed back at him, It was hitting me, The Pittsburgh ordeal had happened for a reason, Buffalo was my home. I couldn’t do a Patrick, play for a different team, I’d always be wanting to come home.

“Alright Shauna, I’m done interrogating, enjoy the night! And Jon… stay safe out there kid, Pat has it out for you.” The reporter winked towards Jon as I snatched his hand.

We walked the rest of the red carpet, smiling for pictures and signing autographs. People recognized me just as much as Jon, which surprised me, but I handled it with grace, answering questions and what not. Every time I posed for a picture, signed an autograph or responded to someone Jon would give me an approving smile, it reassured me that I was doing it right.

Inside the rink was a lot calmer, a few reporters here and there along with families scattered around. Pat regrouped with us as we walked along the concourse, the boys saying hello to men they would be against or with later today. I recognized a few but my obvious lack of interest in the NHL, while I was on hiatus, was making me a little behind.
Out of nowhere, while Jon had stopped to talk to one of his Team Canada buds, not one Pat most liked because he turned and gave me a look, I felt arms drop over my shoulders and pull me into a somewhat headlock. I squealed a bit, turned around and to see Tyler Ennis staring at me.

“Ty!” He laughed and pulled me into a hug as another guy appeared beyond his shoulder. Pat walked over to the mysterious man and gave him a slap on the shoulder which ended in a hug.

“Shauna, this is Taylor Hall, the one I told you about,” I remembered the name and face automatically. Tyler has showed me a video of Mr. Hall, at one point, doing a dance to ‘Nysncs “Bye Bye Bye”.

“Ah yessss, Bye Bye Bye Taylor,” I exclaimed as we shook hands.

He let out a small chuckle and blushed but spoke no words. Tyler gave him a nod and within seconds Mr. Hall had departed.

I stood there, with my head crooked for a few seconds not understanding why the hell Taylor hadn’t said a peep or make eye contact. It was probably one of the most awkward meetings I had had with anyone.

“What the hell?” I turned towards the Jon, Pat and Tyler, who were all in the middle of a laugh.

“You have no fucking idea, do you?” Tyler said. I shook my head in response, Bad breath? Ugly face? Something was off.

Jon and Pat smirked as they gave me the ‘we’re moving’ nod and we began finishing our tour of the concourse with Tyler in tow. A few more people approached the boys, hugs, laughs, handshakes, all the normal.

An hour later Jon brought me upstairs to the suite that his, Pat’s and the rest of the Blackhawk allstar’s parents would be in. The Kane’s came over immediately, giving Jon and I a round of hugs before the Toew’s joined their son. We chit-chatted for a few minutes before Jon said his goodbyes and left to go get dressed. He gave me a squeeze on my forearm and told me to check his phone for the plans tonight before he left the suite.

I sat down next to the older Kane sister and David Toews after about 50 minutes of meeting and greeting the other Blackhawk families. They all wished me luck with my season, unless I played their sons. I shook a countless amount of hands and even posed for some pictures so by the time I did reach my seat I was dead. My feet were never going to get used to heels.

The game started slow and kept at such a pace throughout all 3 periods. There wasn’t a lot of action, just like a normal all star game. David, the Kane sisters and I talked the whole game about college and how we practically hated it. They were all somewhat surprised that I didn’t like BC but when I explained why they nodded and supported my decision to leave.

The game ended with Team Lidstrom winning the whole thing. Pat ended up with one assist while Jon, the victor of the two, ended with a goal and three assists.

They both smiled after the game as I met them down in the family room. The room was full of unfamiliar people but the boys made their rounds of goodbyes and good lucks with me in tow. I stayed behind them the whole time until I caught eye with Claude. He signaled out towards the exit, it was obvious he wanted nothing but to say goodbye away from the fluster. I gave a heads up to Pat and Jon as I left the family room and headed out the door.

“Hey there stranger!” Claude said as I saw him behind, he would have been hidden, invisible, if I wasn’t looking for him.

“Hi there Flyer,” I smiled as he pulled me into a friendly hug.

“How’d you like the game?”

“Decent, I talked the whole time but I saw you try to hit that guy? Little mean?” He laughed and ruffled the top of my hair.

“Scotty has a charity where when he falls, he donates money, figured I’d help out a cause.”

“I see, Well…” I let a moment slip as I thought about how I’d word the next question, “What are you doing tonight?” I was about as blunt as possible.

“I’m just going to crash I think, a lot of guys are leaving tonight, all my roommates so I think the better question is what are you doing?”

“I have no idea… my flight doesn’t leave till 12 tomorrow…”

“Still got my number?” he asked as he pulled out his phone.

“I do, want me to text you when I get back?”

He nodded and motioned for me to head back inside. Jon and Pat opened the door as I reached to get back in. They smiled again towards me before Jon felt the need to pick me up and swing me around.

“Good game ay baby Shay?” He laughed as he dropped me back down, which earned a smirk from Pat.

“I guess so…” He shook his head picking up on my somewhat sarcastic influx in my voice as he grabbed my hand and we left the arena. The boy families were waiting outside the VIP exit, next to their cars, and swarmed their son or brother as soon as we stepped foot outside the door. They talked for about 20 minutes as I intermingled with the two families I trusted outside of my own in the hockey world. Jon and Pat gave multiple rounds of goodbye hugs before the families departed to the airport for their departing flights back to their respective homes.

‘What do we do now?” Jon asked as we settled into the taxi they had called to pick us up. Pat gave him an eye brow raise and told the driver an address which earned a quizzical look from Jon. “Pat…”

“Yes Taze?”

“Where are we going?”

“The club that everyone else is going to.” Pat gave us both a toothy smile as the cab pulled out of the arena parking lot and headed back downtown to the club. I only shook my head, It was not my all-star game and as long as I didn’t miss my flight I was willing to do whatever.

A half hour passed of us smushed in the back seat and recapping the game from our three view pointed before we finally pulled into the club’s VIP parking lot. In less than 5 minutes I was being lead up stairs to where the NHL had booked a whole floor for the all-stars to drink the night away on. We clearly close to the latest ones because it seemed full to almost captivity with all the guys, wives, and puck bunnies dancing around.

We sat down in a booth with Ennis, one of Jon and Pat’s teammates nick-named Sharpie, at least that’s how they introduced him and the Montreal goalie, Carey Price. Price offered us all drinks as soon as we sat down and I gladly accepted, I was underage but knew Jon would watch out for me because Pat was going to end up belligerent.

After about an hour of talking and drinking with those guys I caught eyes with Claude from a few booths away. He was surrounded by girls but seemed to be ignoring them and starring at me. I smiled back and he countered with an eye brow raise and a finger calling me over. Pat and Jon didn’t seem to notice mine and Claude’s eye conversation so I excused myself saying I wanted to get an actual mixed drink form the bar, Jon gave me a questioning head nod but got back to his conversation with the guys, obviously not worrying about me too much.

Claude met me halfway and led me out to the dance floor, hiding me from any wandering eyes.
“Care to dance Madame?” He asked in his adorable French accent.

“Qui Monsieur.” I winked as he place his hands high up on my hips, high enough that he knew to respect the whole ‘I just met’ thing we had going on.

Music blasted as we small talked while our feet and hops moved along to the beat. Every so often I’d catch him looking around to see anyone starring but would return to looking back into my eyes within seconds.

“Afraid of something?” I asked.

“Cameras, don’t want this getting out, unless you do?” He said honestly and gave me a tilt of his head reinforcing the question.

“What? This friendship?” I let out a small snicker as a smile crept across his face and his hands moved a centimeter lower, “No, I’d rather not have to explain anything to my coach when I get back.”

He nodded and we got back to dancing, he hands would creep down about every other song, and by the time it was 2:30am they were a low as they could be without being on my hips anymore. The alcohol had hit me but I wasn’t sure if Claude had had any, or if it was hitting him. His forehead ended up on mine, our lips about an inch apart, and one of my hands running through his hair as the other rested on the small of his back.

“Did you enjoy your break?” he asked as he pulled my body even closer to his.

“I did, and I bet you did too, right?”

He nodded and stared into my eyes, his were lower than before but now had a spark to them. Almost like the spark in Bobby’s when we kissed the first time but Claude’s was brighter, entrancing. Another song came on, this one deeper than most but still as loud as our hips started to move slower.

Out of nowhere Claude stepped back and close his eyes, his hands still resting on my hips but now there was room for cold air between us. His eyes jolted open again and he moved back so that our bodies were touching, This time however his head ended up over my shoulder as I felt his lips touch my ear.

“Want to leave?”

I knew there had to be alcohol talking, This man didn’t come across as one that would take advantage. I slinked away from his grip and crooked my head a little.

“I think you need to go to sleep.” His eyes darted around, the alcohol completely taking over his body. It was when his knees started to shake I knew there was something else wrong.

“Ah ok, Claude? Can you follow me?” I asked grabbing his hand, his faced turned white but he still managed to give me a slight nod.

My only choice was to bring him over to Jon, I’d have to ignore his deceitful eyes I knew I was going to get. Claude stumbled behind me, his other hand continuously whipping the sweat off his forehead.

“Jon?” I practically screamed over the loud music and deep base.

“Yeah Sha…ay?” A confused look washed over his face as he stood up.

“Claude needs help, now.”

“Why? …How? Ok… Pat? Go find the other Flyers, I think I’ll drive him to the hospital.” Pat stumbled off, clearly wasted as hell to go and find the Philly guys.

I held onto Claude’s hand as Jon got underneath Claude’s other arm. Claude was about a head shorter than Jon which made it a little bit more difficult for Jon to sturdy himself but he did.

We walked through the outside ring of the club, dodging chairs and people, before one of Claude’s teammates caught up.

“Here here I’ll help, Claude dude what the fuck?” The curly hair guy said as he got under the arm Jon wasn’t supporting.

“I-I-I… I don’t..” he closed his eyes and turned an even whiter shade.

The boys fell silent as we made it through the club and out to the car. They pushed Claude into the passenger seat as I hopped into the back seats.

“Jon I’m going to go round up my guys and will meet you at the hospital, you alright to drive?” The man asked, clearly worrying about Jon’s intoxication levels.

“Yeah Scotty, I only had a beer, I’ll see you there.”

It was about a 10 minute drive to the Raleigh hospital and the doctors immediately took Claude into a room. It was a lot quicker than hospital I’d been in before. Jon and I sat in the waiting room, in silence, for 20 minutes before he finally spoke.

“You going to say anything?” He asked, not looking at me.

“Casual dancing.”
“You going to tell me the truth?”

I let out a soft sigh before deciding to spill everything, “Ok well the night you went out with your parents I met Claude and we went out for a burger. He’s nice… friend nice, and I talked to him at the game too.”

Jon rolled his eyes before looking at me with an eye brow raised, “From Bobby Ryan to Claude Giroux.. I wouldn’t keep doing this…” He was concerned and had every right to be but at the same token I was just looking to be friends with Giroux. He was a good looking man, that was obvious, but by no means did I want “NHL Whore” plastered with my name.

“I am not, friends Jon, friends. I swear.”

“You sure that’s his intentions?” I lowered my head and shook it, I really didn’t know, I hoped we shared the same intentions though. “Exactly, just give him that heads up Shay, I don’t want to have to beat asses to defend you.”

The wink told all, Jon could never stay mad at me.

Another 5 minutes later the Scotty guy and a few others showed up, which gave Jon and I the clearance to leave. They thanked Jon, shooting me confused looks, before we left and headed back to pick up Patrick.

Pat was hammered, as expected, and barely made it into the car before passing out. Jon didn’t lend a shoulder this time, instead, as we rolled into a parking spot he screamed “Kaner!” which startled poor Patrick.

We settled into our respective beds, letting all the emotions of today die out in the black Raleigh night.

I awoke at 10 and started backing immediately. My first act was a text sent to Giroux asking if he was okay and letting him know I wouldn’t be able to answer till I was back in Buffalo. Within a few hours Jon, Pat and I had met up with Ennis and were on our way to the airport. Goodbyes came quick because Ennis and I had to head off to a different terminal. No promises of staying in touch happened this time, they knew I would regardless.

“We’ll miss ya kiddo!” Pat said in his huff hangover voice as he ruffled the top of my pony-tailed hair. I shook my head and gave him and Jon kisses on the cheek before we separated.

“Ready to get back to the grind?” Ennis asked as we had made our way through the security checks, got lunch and were currently boarding the plane.

“More than ready.”
♠ ♠ ♠
finally done with allstar weekend :)
next chapter should be up before june 5th at the latest :)
let me know what you think :) i love feedback!