Peeta

(Twelve) One Hand Wet with Blood

There's a black whirlwind now, surrounding the clearing with a deafening howl. Cato stands there, his eyes menacing with his sword held out, glaring at me who now stands between him and the one he truly wants to kill.

I lunge at him with my spear. Startled, he stops me, but drops his sword in the process. Next, he grabs the shaft of my spear with both hands, forcing me to my knees. The ground has started to move in strange directions as if there are giant balls rolling far under the soil.

I'm unsteady on my knees as Cato unrelentingly pushes me toward the black ground. I try to push him away, but he breaks the spear shaft in half like it's a stick and I fall backwards onto the rolling ground. He's on top of me, aiming the spear half directly at my head. I shuffle for my switchblade and just manage to retrieve it, and poke his arm. It's not much, but enough for him to pull away.

I start to scramble away from Cato, but the ground is moving and I can't keep my balance. I trip over something. One look down and I scream – Glimmer’s bloated body has turned to a green slime with pieces of flesh disintegrating off her skeleton and melting into the ground. I clamber backwards. My back is against Katniss's tree and look up.

To my horror, Cato has turned into a giant, hideous monster. The black whirlwind is behind him, the trees gone, and Cato is twice his normal size with glowing red eyes, skin gray and rough like a stone. He has his sword again, glowing white hot. His evil eyes are gunning me down, and his sword swings forward.

I jump to the side, but feel excruciating pain on my left thigh. I'm on the ground, one hand wet with blood as I feel my wound. The ground is still swaying and I can't get up. Then Cato is on top of me, holding my hair and my head into the ground.

"You played me for a fool," he whispers into my ear. The words in my ear hurt more than the wound itself. "And now, you're going to pay!" He roughly grabs my switchblade away. His weight is off me and he kicks my side.

Then he's gone.

I force myself to my feet, but can barely stand on my bleeding leg. The rolling ground is starting to tip in all directions. I turn around to see shiny talons gripping what's left of Glimmer and taking her away. The whirlwind has created a giant black hole. I hear screaming, so I look down into the pit. I see Katniss, burning up in flames at the bottom of the pit.

"Katniss!" I scream, and I try to reach down the hole, but as I do, it seals up, and I'm again on the swaying ground.