Peeta

(Eight) Push Everyone Together

The evening arrives; this time, Cato and Clove don’t bother to listen to me. We prepare our weapons and I grab a spear, while Clove arranges her array of knives that now line her jacket. Again, the boy from District 3 is left to guard, though he doesn’t object. There’s not much more for him to do, anyway.

For the third time, we head into the woods, hunting tributes down, anxious for some action. No one has died in the last 24 hours or so. The anthem starts to play just as we start to stray away from camp. No pictures tonight.

We wanted deeper into the woods, and I find myself worrying about Katniss. Everyone grows very exhausted because the nighttime seems to last for days.

“We’ve been going all night,” Glimmer says. Cato ignores her, still forging ahead. I start to wonder if he just wants to make it to the edge of the arena when something flies at me.

Before I know it, I’m on fire.

Glimmer stars running in the opposite direction, and I roll around on the forest floor until my shirt stops burning. I immediately hop to my feet and follow Glimmer. It doesn’t take me more than two seconds to realize that the fireballs and walls of smoke following us are plots of the gamemakers, designed to push everyone together.

Marvel and Cato catch fire, and it’s all that I have to hold in a chuckle, but they put it out before it does any real damage. Glimmer is the fastest and her long legs moved her at least ten seconds ahead of the rest of us.

The smoke is thick, and I seem to cough my lungs right out. I’m running as fast as I can – I’m doing whatever I can to get away. Still, I hope Katniss didn’t get engulfed in the fire.

It takes me a moment to realize that she and I might get driven together because of the fire, and then we’ll have to fight for sure.

We finally reach an area where the fire doesn’t try to reach us. I look around, and all of the Careers are still present. No cannons...yet.