Status: Updated: 11/6/11

The Bucket List

Chapter 9: The breakdown

January 13th 2011
TD Garden
GAME: 3rd period intermission

“I don’t want to know how well you can do a split Timmy, just tell me if the muscle is working properly!” I stamped my foot in annoyance. I heard a couple of the guys laugh behind me but I didn’t care. Timmy smile and began to stretch his quads again.

“I feel fine. Trust me Emily; I know what I’m doing.” Tim tried to reassure me, but I saw the flicker of pain in the last couple of seconds of the stretch. I shook my head and walked over to Julian who was out in the hallway.

“So what is the verdict?” Julian asked, passing the clipboard to the assistant coach.

“He could play; it’s not that bad of a pull. It’s just sore. However, if he was taken out now, he would be avoiding a bigger injury if he pulls a stunt like that again. Either or. But have Tuukka ready to roll regardless of your decision.” I reported back to him. I shuffled uncomfortably in my slippers. So much for acting professional.

“What would you do as a goalie Emily? Would you keep yourself in?” Julian asked me.
Grimacing, I shook my head. Julian nodded and told me to talk to Tuukka. I trudged back into the locker room, just as Tyler was coming back as well. I guess Ovie wanted to talk to him.

“Ovie scare you?” I joked, hip bumping his thigh. Tyler looked down at me with his beautiful brown eyes and smiled lightly.

“Something like that.” He mumbled before picking me up and spinning me around in the middle of the locker room. My world spun around me; however I could clearly see some of the boys fist pumping and egging Tyler on.

The sea of black and gold stopped suddenly, and Tyler set me down on my feet. I hobbled over to Tuukka, all the while the boys (mainly Marshy) were laughing at me. Tuukka smiled at me as I walked over to him.

“Tuukka time?” Tuukka laughed. I smiled, and I heard Shawn Thornton groan from the corner. I smiled, feeling energetic for a moment and tried to attempt the running man. Shawn Thornton laughed and shoved me lightly. I shoved him back, and then ran away, closer to Tuukka. I sat down next to him, and took his stick.

“So Timmy might not want to admit it, but he needs time off, at least two days. However, I am here to give you all the secrets about how a Penguin ticks.”

“And you couldn’t tell us this BEFORE!!!!” bellowed Marshy from the corner, who was talking to his bromance buddy.

“Of course not! Where is the fun in that?” I winked at him, before turning back to Tuukka.

“So Evgeni obviously doesn’t like being pushed around. We know that already. But I have the secret that gets Sid out of his game. He can take a physical play, however, what really pushed his buttons is when the goalie taunts him. Works every time.” I said, smiling at some fond memories that floated up from my summer in Pittsburgh during the training camps. Tuukka laughed.

“So what is your big pisser-offer for Sid?” Tuukka laughed, I smiled sheepishly and coughed “None of your business.”

“I guess you taunted him with a sexual phrase? Think it would work for me?” Tuukka laughed, shoving me once.

“Fine I will show you. It was normally when I sniped one of his wrist shots with my glove. I would first wave to him, but then blow a little kiss to him.” I smiled, demonstrating it to Tuukka. But before long I was drawing out some plays I remember the Penguins practicing with Tuukka’s stick, and a couple of the defense men came over to get some pointers as well.

“Okay boys. Almost time to go back on the ice. I just wanted to say…” Coach began. I waved lightly towards him, and then walked out of the locker rooms to where I know Ovie was waiting.

My phone buzzed violently in my sweat pants pocket, causing me to jump in the middle of the black and yellow deserted hallway.

“Вы все еще приходят встретиться со мной не так ли?” Ovie’s voice said though the speaker of my phone. (You are still coming to meet me right?)

“Конечно! Я обещал вам, я бы взял тебя сегодня вечером.” I said softly into my phone. After talking to him about our meeting place, I quickly hung up and ran the rest of the way towards the elevators. (Of course! I promised you I'd take you out tonight.)
_____________________________________________________-
“Ah! My favorite girl!” Ovie said, kissing the top of my forehead as I ran over to him. His fame was illuminated by the Bobby Orr statue that was placed in front of the Garden. He wasn’t a bad looking man; in my opinion. However he was my boyfriend.

“Alex! I missed you!” I cried, hugging his waist tightly. He rested his hands on my shoulders, before pulling me apart from his body for a second so he could kiss me lightly on the lips.

“Vy vyglyadetʹ seksualʹno , kogda vy rabotaete” He whispered in my ear. I laughed and smacked him lightly on the chest, before dragging him down the streets of Boston. I headed towards Faunal Hall which wasn’t even a block away from the Garden. It had a couple of restaurants where we could sit and chat. (You look sexy when you work)

“Come on. We need to catch up.” I said, tugging him into the closest Dunkin Donuts and ordered a tea for the both of us. Looking around, you could see the place was deserted. There were a couple of guys who looked like the construction workers for the Big Dig that never seems to end. In the corner, wedged into the wall, was the perfect little nook that Alex and I could sit.

“Come here” I tugged at his sleeve and moved him to the table in the back. The chairs squeaked as we sat in them, but we promptly ignored them and began to talk. It was small talk for a while, just him telling me about his stats for games and vice versa. I told him about my test and change of classes next semester. He smiled, and took my hand.

“You are very smart girl. Too smart sometimes.” He laughed, rubbing his thumb over my hands. I smiled a tiny bit, but then frowned slightly.

“How is babushka? Is she doing well still?” I asked softly. Alex’s face fell at that. It was as if his poker face from the face off washed itself over his face, dripping its uneasiness to the rest of his body.

“She is doing fine. You know that. She call yesterday. Right?” Alex said suddenly very interest in his tea bag string. He flicked it a couple of times, but when he realized I wasn’t going to respond, he sighed and tightened his grip on my hand reassuringly.

“The doctor know not what do. I don’t know. She not feeling well lately. Babushka is very… umm…” He seemed at a struggle for words. His brow furrowed together and his lips pursed.

“Oksana is taking care of babushka while Geno on trips. But babushka forget. Sometimes, does not know who we are.” Alex said softly.

“But she is still coming to my game this weekend right? She promised a month ago.” I asked half-heartedly.

“I don’t know.” He looked me in the eyes, brow line still furrowed together. “Oh Emily. To, chto proiskhodit v vashyeĭ semʹe? Vse li zaboletʹ ?” He whispered, he reached over the table and wiped a tear from under my eye. (What is happening to your family? Is everyone getting sick?)

“It hasn’t been a good year, that’s for sure.” I sniffled. “You knew Ana. You knew how much she ment to me. She was my daughter. How am I suppose to live with myself? My own daughter died because I couldn’t stand up to my mother and say no.”

Tears were spilling out faster now. I wiped my eyes hastly, and both Alex and I snapped our heads as we heard the door to the small Dunkin Donuts was banged open. Evgeni was there, beeling to us, muttering obviously in Russian.

“Akh milaya. Ne plachʹ . Vy slishkom dovolʹno plakatʹ.” Evgeni said, hurrying over to me and wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I leaned my face into his suit and let the tears fall out. (Oh sweetie. Do not cry. You are too pretty to cry.)

“Anna znala, chto ty v khoroshyeĭ materʹyu. Ne boĭtesʹ yee ili sebya . Ona lyubila vas.” Evgeni said to me, trying to get me to calm down. (Ana knew you were a good mother. Do not be afraid for her or yourself. She loved you.)

“I’m sorry. Mne ochenʹ zhalʹ” I whispered. “Good thing I’m going to Pittsburgh next week. We can get everything sorted out there right?”
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW!! My subscribers practically doubled! Thanks and comment!