‹ Prequel: Undying Love
Status: I have finished writing it. I have to finish typing it up but I will try to keep up with weekly updates:)

Through the Hard Times

Carsen

“What’s going on?” I looked at the teenage boy sitting across from them.
“This is Carsen, he is the twins’ father.” Tera said walking over to get Justyn.
“Oh, where is Alexa?”
“She’s upstairs, sorry I took the wrong car seat.”
“It’s fine, what’s he doing here? I thought you said he skipped town?”
“He did, he wants the twins. He doesn’t believe I am a good mother.”
I nodded. “Why don’t you take Justyn upstairs?” She nodded and left.
“Carsen why do you think Tera isn’t a good mother? Do you even know the twins’ full names? No one in their right mind would give you custody.”
“My parents said that I have the right to be in their lives. They want the twins to live with us and Tera to not be a part of their lives.”
“That isn’t how you should be handled. You left Tera when she needed you. Start slow, spend time here with Tera and the twins and don’t do anything stupid. Don’t go for custody either. The more trust you earn the more you get to see them.”
“Yeah, so I want full custody. Tera didn’t notify anyone when they were born.”
“She had no one. Listen you won’t get full custody. Just work it out with Tera. You’ll get more time with them if you work with Tera. Trust me, I’ve been through this.”
“If I go through with full custody will the judge tell me I can never see them again?”
“Maybe, most likely they’ll leave it up to Tera; then you’ll never see them.” He nodded and looked down. Tera walked back in and sat back down next to Kelsey and I.
“Tera,” Carsen looked up at her. “I’m sorry, can we start over?” She nodded slowly. “Thank you. I would like to be a part of the twins’ lives. Can I spend time with all three of you? You can choose where and we could work on a when together.”
“I need to think about it. I want to talk just you and me until I feel it’s okay for the twins. Just give me time, Carsen.” He nodded and smiled at her.
“Can I take some pictures of them before I go please? My parents want to see them and I want to hang up pictures.”
“Sure, you can take three pictures, and I’ll give you three pictures I had taken a while ago.” She told him. They stood up and Tera took him to the nursery. I looked at Kelsey and she smiled leaning against me.
“How was your nap?”
“Alright, I got some sleep. I don’t know how much I’ll get over the next few years.”
“Not a lot, Babe.” I kissed her temple.
“Do you think that they’ll be able to work it out?” She whispered. I kissed the top of her head and kept my face buried in her hair.
“I don’t know. It’s going to take a lot of work. They both have to be willing.” She nodded. We looked towards the door as Tera let Carsen out. We couldn’t hear what they were saying. Tera walked in and sat down.
“Would you mind if I took off for an hour during lunch tomorrow? Carsen wants to talk and I don’t want the twins there.”
“No, I don’t mind, just be careful.” Kelsey told her.
“I will, and thank you.” Kelsey nodded and nuzzled into my side.