Living in a Broken Dream

Band Practice

That Friday, Alex asked me if I wanted to go and watch band practice so that I could have a break from looking after my family. Jack picked me up on the way there as he lived the closest to me.
“You look pretty” Jack said
“Thank you Jack!” I smiled looking down at my outfit. We talked until we reached Alex’s road.
"You ready to be blown away?" asked Jack as we pulled up to Alex's house.
"Totally" I replied stepping out the car. He laughed and pulled me up the porch steps, walking straight in.
"Err Jack, don't we like, have to knock first?" I asked giving a confused laugh.
"Nah, Alex's dad is out of town and his mom comes home late, so he basically has the house to himself" I nodded my head understandingly, wondering what it was like to be in a quiet home.
"ALEX, I HAVE ARRIVED!" Screeched jack through the house. A quiet "downstairs" could be heard then Jack screeched again
"OH, AND I BROUGHT ANNA!" that's when the scrambling of clumsy feet ran up the stairs. Alex came running up the stairs slightly out of breath.
"Hey Anna" he said breathlessly, leaning against the door frame.
"Hey Alex" I said smiling at him, blushing slightly. Jack just looked at me weirdly; I just smiled back at him.
"I'll put your coat in the living room, if you want?" he asked walking over to me.
"Sure" I said shrugging it off. He pulled it off and walked towards the living room. After pretending to be Alex's 'girlfriend' for the past two months, I had never actually been to his house. I'd heard the band before, but that was at Jack’s house. His mom was lovely, and obviously Jack had told her about my mom, because she pulled me aside and said if I ever needed any help with anything, either it be looking after them, any illness, or if they just couldn't sleep, just to ring her number and she would give me all the help I needed, any hour of the day.
I think that her and my mom would have got on very well.
"Is Zack or Rian here yet?" asked Jack, who was helping himself to the fridge.
"Not yet" replied Alex walking back into the kitchen.
"Your house is beautiful" I said looking straight at him
"Thank you Anna" he said blushing slightly. We stared at each other for a while until Jack had a coughing fit.
"Sheesh Jack! What happened?" I asked as I patted his back. Alex ran over with a glass of water for Jack to drink. He took a large gulp and coughed a little bit more, his face turning it’s natural colour, still with a hint of pink to it though. Alex sat him down, while I rubbed his back.
"Fucking hell Jack" laughed Alex, still concerned with his best friend. Jack chuckled along with him, and gave a small smile to me, saying that he was okay. That's when Rian and Zack barged through the door.
"Yo, what's up with Jack?" asked Rian with a concerned look of his face.
"He choked on something" I replied. It was quiet for a minute before the two boys howled with laughter.

Jacks POV
Anna and I walked through Alex’s door.
"Err Jack, don't we like, have to knock first?" She asked confused.
"Nah, Alex's dad is out of town and his mom comes home late, so he basically has the house to himself" I explained to her as we walked into the kitchen
"ALEX, I HAVE ARRIVED!"I screeched through the house. Alex shouted "downstairs" I screeched again
"OH, AND I BROUGHT ANNA!" that's when the scrambling of clumsy feet ran up the stairs. Alex came running up the stairs slightly out of breath.
"Hey Anna" he said breathlessly, leaning against the door frame.
"Hey Alex" I said smiling at him, blushing slightly. Wait, blushing? Am I missing something here? I looked at her funny, and she just smiled at me. Alex took her coat and but it the living room. Maybe, she was just warm?
"Is Zack or Rian here yet?" I asked while raiding the fridge.
"Not yet" replied Alex walking back into the kitchen.
"Your house is beautiful" Anna said looking straight at him
"Thank you Anna" he said blushing slightly. Alex is blushing? And Anna was blushing? Why do they keep looking at each other like that? It’s like the way Em and I look at each other, huh...Alex and Anna like each other. Alex and Anna Like each other! I took an intake of breath and choked on whatever I was eating.
"Sheesh Jack! What happened?" Anna asked as she patted my back. Alex ran over with a glass of water for me to drink. I took a large gulp and coughed a little bit more; Alex sat me down, while Anna rubbed my back. Don't say anything Jack, I’ll ask later.
"Fucking hell Jack" laughed Alex, concern on his face. I chuckled along with him, and gave a small smile to Anna, saying that I was fine. That's when Rian and Zack barged through the door.
"Yo, what's up with Jack?" asked Rian with a concerned look of his face.
"He choked on something" Anna replied. It was quiet for a minute before the two boys howled with laughter.

Anna’s POV
Band practice went on for about two hours, and it was amazing.
“Guys, that was amazing!” I gushed standing up and clapping. They all blushed like the sensitive boys they were and said thanks.
“Let’s go get a drink” suggested Rian walking up the stairs.
“Yeah” I agreed. The boys all ran forward to the kitchen, Alex pulling me along by my hand.
“Hey, you’ve never been in my house before have you?” asked Alex, still holding my hand.
“No, I haven’t”
“Alright, I’ll tell the guys to go and I’ll show you round”
“But Jack is my ride home!” I said
“Hmm, I bet he will wait for you down here”
“Okay then. Let’s go tell him” We walked into the kitchen and all the guys were all whisper talking to each other.
“Okay guys, I'm gonna go and show Anna round, so you can like, show yourselves out whenever, and Jack, wait for Anna, your her ride home. I got some candy in the fridge, help yourself.”
Jacks eyes lit up, I laughed and waved goodbye as Alex pulled me through the house. As I said before, Alex’s house was beautiful. The walls were covered in a golden wall paper, dark wooden floors and each door was painted white. We finished in his bedroom.
“So, this is my bedroom” he said opening the door. It was a lot different than I thought it would be. It was clean and fresh, unlike Teddy’s. It was a pale blue colour, with posters adorned on the walls. Various pictures were displayed on the walls, as did the guitar in the far corner. .
“It’s so clean” I said out loud. He laughed and walked over to the window.
“Yeah, I have slight OCD” he shrugged.
“I bet your Mom’s happy about that” I smiled
“Right, my Mom” he sighed and walked over and flopped on the bed.
“What’s wrong with her?” I asked, slightly frowning.
“It’s complicated” he said. I walked over and flopped down on the bed next to him. Whatever it was, it was upsetting him, and I didn’t like the frown lines on his face.
“Wanna talk about it?” I asked as I hooked my pinkie with his, I surprised him as well as myself with my forwardness of my actions. He was quiet for a moment as if thinking.
He sighed and said “My Mom doesn’t think that All Time Low will be successful, and that it is all a waste of time, a hobby that’s gone too far. My Dad thinks that it’s kinda cool that I'm in a band, but he is always out of town. Mom tells me all the time that I'm being stupid” I nodded my head and thought about how to respond.
I cleared my throat and turned his head to look at me
“Listen to me Alex” I said looking him dead in the eye “Everyone can be successful, as long as they believe in themselves” I gave him a small smile and added “I know that loads of people believe in you. Rian, Zack and Jack obviously do otherwise they wouldn’t have joined All Time Low, and I believe in you. So does everyone who I know. Including all my cousins and brothers and sisters. You even made Lottie go to sleep, even I can’t do that!” I said smiling. He gave me a small smile and blushed.
“Thanks Anna” he said as he looked me in the eyes. We stared at each other, a lot like earlier but this time we were leaning in, and before I could stop myself, his lips crashed with mine. We pulled away and looked at each other
“Sorry” he whispered
“Its okay” I whispered back
“No, I mean I'm really sorry because I shouldn’t have done that and now you-“I shut him up by grabbing the front of his shirt and kissing him again.
“Its okay” I said as I pulled away. He smiled widely and gave me a hug, he was about to say something when Jack shouted
“Anna, we gotta go, Mom wants me home in 10 minutes!”
“Come on” I sighed as I stood up, pulling Alex up with me.
“You should come round more” he whispered against my lips
“You know I can’t”
“Anna!” shouted Jack
“Alright Jack!” I shouted back. I turned towards the door, just to be pulled back by Alex, who gave me a peck on the lips before whispering
“Cya tomorrow Anna” He pulled me out of his room and downstairs to Jack holding my coat in his arms.