Status: Complete

Summer's Never Looked The Same

I Wish It Was Easy, Easy To Breathe The Words That We Needed, To Get Some Relief

-----Bam's POV-----

Knoxville has acted weird around me the entire day. The silence and tension grew so big, I finally said I would try to find Ava on my own. No one objected as I got out of Knoxville's car and started walking.

By now, night has already begun to fall. I've covered the edge of town and the next town over. No sign of her. I start getting angry. And worried. I wish she wouldn't have done this. I can kind of understand why. But I wish she hadn't actually gone through with it.

I pass a girl who is sitting on a bus bench. At first, I think she's Ava. As I turn around, her hair tells me that it isn't her. Her hair is blood red. But Ava always used to talk to me and Ryan about dying her hair red and she had dyed it that color at one point a couple years ago. But seeing this girl's red hair falling over the same sweatshirt that I saw Ava wear a couple times, I'm now fully convinced it's her. I would recognize that ratty sweatshirt anywhere.

"Ava!" I call to her, running back towards the bus stop. She looks up at me and it's confirmed. It's Ava. She stands up, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Ava, everybody is looking for you. Where the hell have you been? " I question, my anger starting to show.

"Don't get angry with me, asshole." She barks. "I'm coming home. Calm the hell down. Besides, aren't you the one who told me to stay away from you? And now you're searching for me?"

"Okay, yes. I did tell you to stay away from me. I'm sorry that I didn't help you. I'm sorry that I acted like an asshole to you. But right now, you and I both are at vulnerable points in our lives. I've already started drugs and you're injuring yourself. The last thing we need is to trade those... escapes." I point out, hoping she'll agree with me and we can go home. I see a weird flash in her eyes.

"I forgive you. But I need to say something." She says, dropping her bag to the sidewalk and taking one step toward me.

"Bam... you and Ryan were my best friends. I was relying on you to stay by my side. I was willing to help you get through it if you were to do the same for me! But right after he got into the damn accident, you started doing drugs so quickly."

Tears visibly fill her eyes, even in the dark. "I don't care what happens after this. But you and I need to get our shit straight and get help." I stare at her blankly.

She stares at me for a minute, not moving. Then she picks her bag up and starts walking towards home. I follow right after her.

The thought of confessing our addictions and going to rehab discourages me and I want to tell Ava we should run instead. But I keep my thoughts quiet, push them away, and think of only the pros of going to rehab.

But one con that I can't stop thinking about is Ava. Even after we get help, she may not talk to me again. She told me she forgives me, but does she really? Did she just tell me that to be nice? Did I permanently ruin our friendship because of all the shit I did to her? I know I won't forgive myself.

My heart thuds against my chest when her house comes to view. I haven't texted or called the guys that I found her yet. Probably would've been a good idea though. We walk in to find the place empty. I pull my phone out as I look at her. "I'm going to call them and let them know we're here."

She nods and sits on the last step of the stairway, watching me make the call to her dad. Knoxville answers my call and both of our expressions change to nervous and worried, but I don't hang up.