Streetwise Hercules

THREE

The next day at school was really not as bad as Cameron thought it was going to be. In math class, he knew every problem. He wrote essays in record time, not even having to stop to think at all. He spoke in perfect Spanish to the Puerto-Rican man who liked to watch him eat lunch in nothing but a pair of boxers. But the best part was he didn't even need his glasses, and he could watch Adara run around in her underpants WITHOUT HER EVEN KNOWING. X-ray vision had magically been planted into his young, deformed eyes.

As he sat down at lunch with his only friends, Peter and Franklin, he could read both their thoughts. "Damn, Jackie looks fine today. I wanna see what's going on under that skirt!" Peter thought, raising an eyebrow and smiling. Cameron used his new talent to help him out.

"Not much, except for herpes." He whispered to Peter, who was smiling at Jackie hopefully. He jumped and raised an eyebrow.

"Pah... what are you talking about, man?" Peter laughed nervously. Cameron grinned.

"I know things, now." Cameron shrugged, looking over at Adara again. She was picking at her food and glaring at Kalab across the lunchroom. Kalab was flexing his biceps for an even more diseased whore by the name of Cheyenne. He read her mind, too: "Damn, this itches."

After lunch, he went to biology, where they were talking about reproduction. As the lecture about penises went on, Cameron couldn't help but tap in to everyone's minds... again. Kalab: Please give out condoms. Please give out condoms. Cheyenne: Maybe I should see a doctor... Peter: How cool would it be if Jackie did a demonstration after school? Damn.... too bad I have a video-game championship.

Riley, the awkward child who Cameron suspected was totally getting it on with Mr. Fallon, raised her hand quickly. "I'm not getting it, Mr. Fallon."

"Oh, you're not? Do you need to come after school?" He winked at her.

"Yeah, that sounds good."

Cameron didn't even need to read their minds to know what was going on. Halfway through the class, Cameron tuned out. He didn't need this lecture. It wasn't like he was experienced-- in fact he was the opposite-- but he knew all he needed to know.

Then it happened. The spit-balls were about to start flying at the back of his head. He held his hand up and caught all of them. The entire class stopped and looked over at him, his hand full of the spit-balls that could have been stuck in his hair for eternity. Adara's eyes widened until they were like headlights glued into her eye-sockets.

And you know what she thought about the whole thing?

Wow.

That was the first time anyone had ever said "wow" to him in a positive way to him before.