Status: Completed

What the Hart Wants

Marriage-and you thought 16 and pregnant was bad

“Lorelei Abigail Hart!” Aunt Patty scolded.
I immediately sat up, “Please forgive me, Pastor Peters.” I whispered quietly, trying to not make my tongue bleed. I looked to my feet not wanting to feel anything more.
“It is quite alright Miss Lorelei.” Pastor Peters said calmly. “I understand that marriage is something you are not ready for.”
My tongue would definitely bleed, as I bit against it as hard as possible, trying my best to hold in my “snarky” remark.
Pastor Peters took the cup of tea offered by Aunt Patty. “You know this is something to be joyous about,” Aunt Patty assured, handing me a cup as well. “Not only will you not have to search for what could be years for a husband, but you will have a good grand husband!”
She was truly excited, like this was an honest help? Was she mad?
“Indeed dear.” Uncle Pat sat down next to her, quickly holding her hand. “Imagine knowing that your future will be safe. You will have a man protecting you, and making sure that you will grow with him in the way of our Lord.”
I tried not to cry. My life was over. Only fifteen and not only am I not to date, but on my sixteenth birthday I’m to wed a man that they find acceptable. A man they chose over all boys my age. No a MAN. One that I wouldn’t get to meet till the day itself. One who is completely and totally deep into the Religion of Selsi, Aunt Patty and Uncle Pat--yes their names and they are married-- cult they consider a church.
But I’ve been in a church before, and Uncle Pat’s church is not a normal church. Not by a long shot. Snakes, strict rules, enforced rules, and arranged marriages. Nothing normal in the least.
“Now I’m sure you are excited and wish to know whom the lucky man you are to wed is, but with tradition comes responsibility.” Pastor Peters said. His eyes a sparkling blue as he gave a big wide toothy smile. “You will just have to wait till the day arrives.”
“When is it?” I asked, my eyes staring at the floor yet again.
“Because you are taking this so well, I figured I’d let you and your guardians decide what day that should be.”
Never, I wished to say, but instead bit my tongue that much harder.
Aunt Patty became excited, practically bouncing. “Oh how exciting! Missy’s daughter didn’t have a choice of date,” she gossiped, trying to prove how spectacular this “gift” was.
“That’s right,” Pastor Peters said before giving a very stern sort of look. “But please lets remember that gossip is very immoral as is boasting.” His blue eyes yet again sparkled, “However it is a very important date for the church so it deserves a special touch.”
“Well thank you Pastor Peters,” Uncle Pat said standing up and taking the mans hand in a firm shake. “We will get back to you late tomorrow night to let you know the date.”
“Why thank you, I cannot wait,” Pastor Peters said. He was rather young for a Pastor, being perhaps in his early thirties where as in the other church I went to was an elderly man.
I remained seated not bothering to get up and risk more of the snarky remarks I could give. I’d be sixteen in a few months, and depending on what Aunt Patty and Uncle Pat chose I could be married before the end of the year. My life would be over before it could ever begin.
“So, little miss perfect,” Aunt Patty began, jealousy dripping from her voice. “Are you ready to be a Mrs.?” She didn’t bother for an answer. “Perhaps a spring wedding would be best,” she stated to her husband, who had found a notebook to begin the planning. “Lorelei turns 16 in April. So perhaps a May wedding?”
“May I be excused, please?” I asked my stomach turning at the simple thought.
“Yes, yes of course.” Aunt Patty shooed. “Now…
I taking my leave, ignoring all plans that they were to go through. I walked to my room, remembering fond times of being able to close the door. Sadly I made my way to my bed knowing that the open door could and would be peeked in throughout the evening and night.
I didn’t even do anything to make them take the door. They just decided that a teenager shouldn’t get privacy for they might “do things”. The church saw fit that teenagers were to have no privacy and constant supervision, so that is what Aunt Patty and Uncle Pat did.
I lied on the bed letting the darkest part of the room engulf me, using my iPod to tenderly drift me off to sleep.
Weeks passed by, and I let school engulf me and wrap me up into the learning world. A world were I had very little friends, some who understood that something was off, and those who were forced to be my friends through religious circles.
But I only had one true friend.
Kara Penelope Jacobs.
Kara is where I am. She knows what its like to see the flaws in her family’s faith. To see the unfairness of what was being taught and done to the teenagers in the church.
Though she didn’t grow up with her Grandmother, she did grow up with a foster family, not the greatest experience but they weren’t what TV makes them out to be. They took her to Christian church and though tried to force her into their faith, it was nothing like what her parents got into.
I was raised in a Christian church as well, Gramma gave me the type of faith that felt right and true, and when Uncle and Aunt Pat came to take me they took me to what could only be considered a cult.
Kara felt the same way. Churches had no right marring off their teenage followers. Churches were to give hope and faith not tear you down. This church, Selsi was a cult and we knew it.
Though Kara held different believes than myself, and though she couldn’t have been any more different from me, we became incredibly close. A bond that no one but sisters could share. And that’s what we were. Sisters. Bond forever in the corrupt faith of our guardians.
Kara was to be married two days after her sixteenth birthday, and her mother--out of esteem joy, let it slip it would be with Vincent Cables. A twenty-five year old computer tech for a very profitable company. And Vincent could have been considered attractive to a woman in her twenties. But a sixteen year old girl who knows that it is wrong…
Because girls mature faster than boys the girls are to be wedded off before their middle to late teen years; the boys are wedded off in their middle twenties to middle thirties.
My heart ached for her. I don’t know. That, though frightening, is a blessing. I don’t have to see him. I don’t have to worry about anything about him and what that will bring. I don’t have to see his mother and family.
Just have to deal with my family; and that’s more than enough.