Status: Complete

Familiar

It's Been So Long

Scud walked out of the small shop, the box of Krispy Kream in one hand while he dug around in his pocket for the keys to his van with the other. He didn't even notice the red-haired woman walking towards the store until he bumped into her. He took a step back and looked up at her, careful to not drop the cigarette that hung between his lips he said, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine," she said, flashing him a brilliant, white smile as she cut him off. "I should have been paying attention."

Scud pulled his hand out of his pocket to take the cigarette from his lips before replying, "No, it's my fault, I wasn't looking- Lucy!"

Her smile grew wider with the realization of who was standing in front of her, "Scud!" She nearly knocked the donuts from his hand as she threw her arms around his neck. "It's been so long, when did you come back?"

She let go of him and stepped back to look at him again. He shifted the donuts to his other hand and reached up to take the cigarette with his free hand, "A while actually."

Her face fell slightly at learning he'd been back in town for a 'while' and hadn't bothered to contact her.

He spoke again before she could say anything, "I was gonna call you, but I've been really busy. Work and all."

"Oh," she smiled again, not bothering to show her teeth this time, "What have you been doing?"

"Working with a friend, he...uh...he runs his own business."

"Oh. Well, I've gotta go, I'll see you around?"

"Definitely," he nodded.

"It was great seeing you."

"You too." She walked past him towards the store, and Scud continued towards his van. He unlocked the door and opened it. After sitting the box of donuts down he turned back to the store to see Lucy grab the door handle and pull it open, "Lucy!" he called out to her.

She turned and looked at him, "Yeah?"

"You wanna go get coffee tomorrow morning?"

Her mouth fell open as she struggled for an answer, he noticed the slight twitch before she said, "I would love to, but I can't. Work, ya know." She paused while she thought, then said, "How about we meet for drinks tomorrow evening?"

He nodded, "That'll work. When do you-"

"Nine. The place where we used to go?"

He nodded again, "That'll be great."

She smiled, "See you then."

Scud nodded and returned the smile. He watched her walk inside, and the door swung shut behind her. He took one last drag from his cigarette before dropping it on the asphalt parking lot and stomping it out. He climbed into the large vehicle, and stuck the key in the ignition. As he cranked it up he smiled to himself and whispered, "Lucy, Lucy, Lucy," after letting a sigh escape his lips he added, "Never thought I'd see you again."