I Wish I Could Be the One

Constrict your hands around me, squeeze till I can

Leave it to me to pick the tightest of all the dresses I tried on. The girls had pretty much the same dress as me, except for their length and the fact that theirs had spaghetti straps…mine excluded the straps. Hey come on…even though it was building up to be a pretty traditional wedding, I still wanted us to all look hot…and sweet. This was my fourth and final fitting. It was really only suppose to be just a simple final check, because on the third fitting, it was perfect. Imagine my surprise when my seamstress and the other girls started frowning at me in the mirror…she still hadn’t buttoned me all the way up the back. I waited patiently for her to continue.

“Are you going to keep going, Giselle?” I asked, surprised that she was just standing there. “Is there something wrong?” I continued as I saw a fleeting look of panic in her eyes.

“Of course I’ll finish, I’m sorry my dear.” She still hadn’t removed her frown. And then I looked at my mother; her brow deeply furrowed…her thumb and index finger pinching her bottom lip. What was this? That look was never a positive thing. I looked slowly over to Brian’s mother and stepmother. His mother had her hand over her mouth; his step was pulling on strands of her hair. My other girls just looked extremely confused.

I suddenly felt a hard tug around my waist. I gasped and Giselle immediately released the fabric. “I’m sorry honey, I must have some fabric folded over in the inside…” Giselle responded quickly as she saw the look of panic come across my face. She quickly looked in the direction of the mothers. My mom came over to help with something that shouldn’t have needed helping.

“Here let’s try this…” As my mom reached for the fabric ends that would be binding my chest.

“No, lovey…that part is even worse than the waist…” I heard Giselle whisper to her. And once again I felt a breath-taking tug, only around my boobs this time.

“Jesus…” I exclaimed. She quickly let go, as Giselle had done a few minutes earlier.

“Giselle, is this the same dress?” My mom muttered, already knowing the answer.

“OF COURSE THIS IS THE RIGHT DRESS!” I yelled. I think I was going to go into full-blown panic mode.

“Honey, calm down…it’s just…it’s just…” She stammered.

“It’s just what? Tell me for fucks-sake!!” I whipped around to face her and Giselle, who looked just like a scared deer caught in a headlight.

“It doesn’t fit anymore Berry…” I guess Leana was the only one in the room who grew balls.

“What the hell is that suppose to mean?” I whined.

“Bear, it doesn’t fit. It’s a lot tighter around your hips than it was, and it really doesn’t look like it’s going to button around your waist, and there is no way it will ever close around your boobs.” Val informed me.
“Excuse me? Are we talking about the same dress that looked perfect on me a month ago?” I pleaded with them. The waterworks were coming, I could feel them over take me…I was 7 days from wearing this dress to marry the love of my life in my dream wedding and I was now being told that it didn’t fit me?

Brian’s step mom ran over to give me a handkerchief. “Sweetie, here, quick…don’t get tears on that fabric.”

“Button the back of this friggin’ dress up and I’ll stop friggin’ crying!” I was full-throttle sobbing now.

“Bree…calm down now. We’ll fix this.” My mom ordered.

“I’ve got 7 DAYS!! What are you talking about?” I screamed at her. “It would be different if Giselle had to make it smaller…but Jesus Christ…how is she suppose to ADD to it now?” I continued ranting. “I’ll just end up looking like a friggin’ cow, even if she can get it done in time!”

“You are my priority Mon Cherie…I promise I will fix this immediately for you.” Giselle pulled me into a hug.

“Beebs, you’ll never look like a cow…you’re going to look perfect…we promise.” Gena tried soothing my ego.

I turned to look in the mirror again…

“Try it again.” I demanded.

“What? No…sweetie…no.” Now it was my mom’s turn to panic. “What if the bodice rips? Giselle will only be stuck with more to do…”

“Try…it…AGAIN.” I sneered at her. “I’ll suck it up this time.”

“Ok, Bride-zilla…as you wish…” She retorted as she and Giselle squeezed me again. I tried sucking it in as much as I possibly could. They only managed three more buttons.

“All right…that’s it…we tried…happy now?” My mom hissed in my ear.

“Love, take the dress off, let me measure you again.” Giselle suggested calmly. I’m sure this wasn’t the first (as my mom put it) Bride-zilla she’s encountered.

I reluctantly slid the dress off my legs, as the tears were still dropping from my eyes. My girls had quickly busied themselves with other things…like their perfectly fitted dresses.

“My Darling, I will start working on this immediately. It will be done for you long before the day you have to walk down that aisle…I promise you.” Giselle reassured me. “Besides, it’s not too bad…you’ve only grown about ¾ to an inch in some spots…it will be quite easy to take care of.”

“I’d love to believe that Giselle.” I whimpered. “But I guess the real issue here is…how did I all of a sudden grow inches on my body, and what if it doesn’t stop before the wedding?” My chest was heaving from my sobs. All Giselle could do was look at the floor.

“Then I will make myself available to you, right up until the wedding, if that’s what it takes…” She shot a quick glance at my mother. My mother nodded slightly in response. She then looked at the other mothers.

“Hon, why don’t you ride home with us – ‘old women’…we’ll take you to lunch.” Brian’s mom offered.

“I’m never eating again…but whatever…” Was my only reply as I reluctantly got my normal clothes on.

**

“Why are we stopping here? I thought we were getting lunch?” It was the first time I had spoken to “the elders” since we left Giselle’s. I was feeling weird and uncomfortable around them and had desperately started wishing I had just gone home with my girls.

“Would you please cheer up honey?” My mom pleaded. I just looked out the window…nothing…absolutely nothing was going to cheer me up and she knew it. “I just need to run into the pharmacy real quick and grab something. I’ll be right back…do you need anything?” She asked me patiently.

“No…just hurry up…I want to go home.”

She frowned and got out of the car.

“I’m sorry for being such a bitch…I’m just stressed and really bummed out now.” I said quietly to Brian’s mom(s). I figured I should try to smooth things over with them first, as it was their son I was marrying.

“It’s fine sweetness…don’t worry, we totally understand…trust us.” Suzie replied, giving me a soft smile.

My mom jumped back into the car. “What did you need to get?” I asked, almost nicely this time, noticing a small bag in her hand.

“A pregnancy test…” She smiled at me as she said it.

“For who?” I asked wide-eyed…all three women started giggling uncontrollably.

“For YOU silly!”