The City of Evil

Burn It Down.

II. Burn It Down

Jealousy, anger, hate, it breeds in this city. Then it spreads, it spreads like a wildfire in the middle of June, no water or control to stop it. And eventually, it’ll all just stop.


Some people take out their anger by screaming, talking to a licensed person about it, inflicting self-pain, even. And most people, well, they like to drown their sorrows with liquor. Usually the hardest and strongest alcohol that they can find. A lot of people seemed to do this, as bars were always crowded and hard to find a spot.

A short blonde observed this as, he too, sat along a crowded bar counter. Overhearing people’s orders, he pushed his glass away from his hands letting the hustled bartender fill up back up. The blonde pulled out a bill and tossed it alongside the glass, watching as it was hurriedly snatched up. A few seats down from him a guy; a tall, lanky kind of guy with deep chestnut curls was being seduced by an incredibly hot brunette. The shorter man snorted into his drink as he took a long swallow, following the two with his eyes as they crossed the bar.

Lucky bastard. If only that could happen to him as well. If only, he thought sardonically.

He finished the drink in one large, last gulp and pushed the glass away from him again. Before it could be refilled, he swiftly swung around in the chair. He grabbed his jacket from the back of the stool, and made his way through the crowd to get to the entrance. He nodded at the bouncer and slipped him something a little extra into his hand.

The blonde smirked to himself as he walked down sidewalk. His eyes crossed to the other side of the street where there were people dealing drugs secretly. Oh, he knew about them. He saw them everyday, in the same spot. That spot gained a lot of attention and money. Occasionally he would stop by and pick up a couple ounces of speed whenever something was going incredibly wrong at home. But no, he never dealt it. He wasn’t interested in losing his life that way.

His hands were dug deep into the pockets of his jacket, trying to resist the wind that was blowing opposite him. He had left his hat at home, probably not aware that when he was angry earlier in the day that he would be out this late. He wouldn’t have even gotten angry at all if he didn’t see his fucking girlfriend cheating on him with another guy.

His fists balled tighter in his pockets at the thought. She’d always been sneaking off somewhere, not telling him where. It all made sense to him now, it finally clicked in his head that she was seeing someone else. What drove her to do so, the blonde would probably never know. After screaming his bit earlier, he calmly told her to get out, grabbed his coat and keys and left. Just like that. Left, just like their relationship.

He didn’t need her. Fuck camaraderie. He was good with being single.

The blonde jogged up the front steps to his apartment building, warmth and electricity burning and flowing through his body. Up the three flights of stairs, instead of taking the elevator like he usually would have. He hadn’t had this much energy in God knows how long. It felt good, he concluded of the sudden burst.

Pulling out his key ring out of the pocket of his pants, he walked down the carpeted hallway to the end of the hall. He turned left and stared at the door ahead of him. Apartment thirty-eight. He stuck the metal into the slot and turned, opening the door with a swift kick with his foot. The hallway light was on, unlike how he had left it. He heard soft, gently sniffling and he moved down the hallway, poking his head into the living room.

Sitting there on the sofa, she was still there. Crying her eyes out by the looks of it. The blonde sighed angrily, gaining the woman’s attention. At once she stood up and made her way over to him, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Dougie,” she said softly, almost pleading like. “Please. Please, forgive me. It was a mistake.”

Dougie scoffed in disgust, this humor adding up in his head. “What kind of idiot do you think I am, Jodie?” Her blue eyes widened in shock. “I knew something was up, but never said anything. That was the second chance.” He wasn’t about to take her back, just like that. Crazy was something that he was not. She cheated, he didn’t; end of story.

“Doug-”

“I’m not going to take you back after what you’ve done, you lying son of a bitch!” he screamed. His hands clamped down into tighter fists, the keys digging deep into his right palm. His other hand was brought up to his forehead, rubbing at his temples. He turned around, his back to her. He couldn’t face her.

This jealousy, it wasn’t a new game to him. He’d seen it all through his life. He had expected this when they had first started going out. She’d scold at him for getting jealous, when these waiters at restaurants they went to on dates asked for her number. Right in front of him! Like what, what exactly they did think he was? Her brother? Hell no. His face had turned red in his anger, his breathing; well, let’s just say he was taking deep breaths and it wasn’t working out for him very well.

A small, gentle hand touched his back and he flinched away and walked into his bedroom. He left Jodie standing there, dumbfounded and confused. She eventually sighed and grabbed her own coat from the back of the sofa. Her purse contained the locket Dougie had once given to her for Christmas and she pulled it out, quietly setting it onto the kitchen table where she knew that he would find it.

He heard her leave. He heard her every movements within the small apartment. He released his breath when the door clicked shut and he briskly went to lock and check the door. Yes, go back to the other man, the other man that could possibly fill her needs more than he could. Dougie chuckled, raising his hand, bloody from where the keys tore at the tender flesh.

Hatred fueled his blood right now at this moment. He stared at his hand before turning around to face the door, smearing his hand against the white paint.

He couldn’t trust anyone. Everyone had a jealous nature, right? It was all a part of a sick, evil, twisted game. You can’t turn back time. You just would have to burn it down.