Fruit of Summer

Acceptance

Billie Joe fumed as he walked. He wasn’t even walking really; it almost qualified as running. Except he wasn’t running. He had nothing to run from and what’s more, he had nowhere to run to. So Billie Joe walked, unhappy and upset, but at a quick and steady pace.

He assumed Frank’s house was this way but he wasn’t too sure. He stopped for a moment as it suddenly struck him that he had actually never been to Frank’s house, considering they’d only known each other for a few days. It seemed longer to Billie. It seemed like weeks, maybe even years.

He looked around once and decided to keep walking in the same direction. He’d find someone to ask along the way. Or not. Confusion and anger did not mix well in Billie Joe’s brain, especially not with movement.

Walking, walking, faster and faster until a semi-involuntary scream of frustration escaped the boy’s throat.

“Not so loud. You’ll get the neighbors curious.”

Billie turned around to see Frank standing right behind him. He wasn’t exactly surprised, even though his brain reminded him once again that they hadn’t been friends for long. Why then, had he gotten so irritated this morning? Of course, Aunt Lissie always irritated him, but this was purely aggravating.
It was like Frank could read his mind. “Is something up?”

Billie just shook his head. He couldn’t talk. He’d probably scream again if he tried to open his mouth.

Frank cocked his head to one side and something in Billie Joe wanted to smile despite the fire in his chest. But he didn’t. He glared, relieved to find someone, anyone, anything to direct his fury at. He narrowed his eyes when the intended victim giggled. “What are you laughing at, jackass?” The words came out in a harsher whisper than Billie wanted.

The laughter stopped, but the smile remained alive on Frank’s face, as always. Yet, with all seriousness he replied, “Your eyes look greener when you’re pissed off like that.”

“I’m not pissed off,” Billie Joe lied. He didn’t know why though. Well, for one it would have hurt Frank’s feelings. But since when did Billie care about anyone’s feelings, let alone some guy he met barely a week ago?

“Yes you are.” The smile was inaudible this time. “I don’t like being lied to. Especially when you suck at lying.”

“Well you just plain suck,” came the creative retort.

“Yes I do, Billie Joe,” was all Frank had to say. “So if you’ll just follow my sucky self, we can go to the lake. I can introduce you to Peggy May.” The country boy wiggled his eyebrows ridiculously and that something in Billie Joe wanted to smile again, but then it stopped, because hearing about Peggy May reminded him of Aunt Lissie. He didn’t want to think about Aunt Lissie, who’d rattled on nonstop about the supposed country belle the previous evening at dinner.

Billie considered this fact for a second and hoped with all his heart that Peggy May would not be as obnoxious as the woman who sang her praises. A sharp stinging sensation brought blood to his lower lip—he’d been biting it. Was he that tense? He couldn’t help it. Aunt Lissie’s words made him grit his teeth and he didn’t know why.

He looked over at Frank, who’d been babbling happily all the while and despite his previous resolve, thought back to the argument.

That Wright boy is no good and if you know what’s good for you, you’ll stay away!

I don’t want you near that boy, Billie Joe! The neighbors are saying things!

I’m warning you Billie Joe, I don’t like you spending so much time with that queer!


It was that last word that slapped Billie Joe. Without thinking, barely realizing that he was even moving, he’d slammed the front door and began walking as fast as he could. Not even running. What did she know anyway? Frank was his friend, one of the few he had, and even at school, no one got away insulting one of Billie’s friends. No one.
“Penny for your thoughts?” a smirk came floating to Billie’s ear.

He turned around and grinned right back. “I’ll give you a dollar not to use that stupid expression.”

Frank shrugged. “I prefer candy.” And he walked a few steps on ahead of Billie, taking the lead.

“And I prefer you tell me where we’re going.”

The country boy turned around and chuckled. “I told you, Spaceboy. The lake.”

Billie Joe was quiet. For one thing, he had never paid much attention to Frank’s laugh before but realized just then that it was, for lack of a better word, comforting. And for another…”Spaceboy”? He didn’t even want to ask.

A few turns and affectionate insults later, they were there and Billie Joe’s jaw unhinged. The lake, as Frank kept referring to it, was a marvel of the countryside. A wonder of this stupid, stunted world.

The surface glass blue was sparkling in the morning sunlight, framed by grass the most perfect shade of green Billie could ever even think of. He turned to say something to Frank, but forgot his words. And when he saw his friend smiling peacefully at the water, he understood why the strange country boy was so eager to come here. Billie hated to think of himself as a sap, but there was no other word but beautiful.

“Wow,” Billie whispered at last, his anger melted and replaced by the quiet serenity of their surroundings.

“Yeah, it’s something,” Frank replied, directing his smile at Billie Joe and clapping him on the back. He led Billie over to a tree and slid comfortably into its shade.

Billie looked up. It wasn’t ancient, but it was almost magical. Rough bark patterns traced themselves into a network of branches and leaves. It was like a ladder to the sky. For a few minutes, the sullen teenager was a little boy again, running around a run-down park with some dying plants scattered here and there.

He sat down next to Frank, not moving speaking even when he felt a head leaning against his right shoulder. Minutes passed, but Billie didn’t know how many.

“This is nothing,” Frank murmured, breaking the silence at last. “Wait until you meet Peggy.”

Billie Joe grinned. The countryside wasn’t all bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok um...I'm not very happy with the chapter title. If you can think of something better, I'd love for you to tell me.

As always, comments make me smile and reviews rock my boring black socks. Thank you for taking the time to read. I hope you enjoyed it. ^_^ I don't think you'll have too much of a wait for the next chapter.