Falling Into You

One & Only

Chris told me not to worry, he had a plan. With that he sent me off to bed as he picked up his cell phone. I tried to protest but he just assured me that we had a big day ahead of us tomorrow. I stomped off and laid in bed, wondering what the hell Chris was up to, and thinking about John.

“Come on,” Chris persisted as he dragged me towards the park entrance.

“I don’t want to go to a water park Chris,” I whined trying desperately to pull free. “Whose idea was this anyways?”

“It was Kennedy’s obviously, I would have picked the mall or something you couldn’t get worked up about,” He rolled his eyes as he came to a stop. “Can I trust you not to run away if I let go?” He asked attentively.

“I have nowhere else to do,” I replied dryly.

Hesitantly he dropped my wrist and dug in his pocket for his wallet, “Two adults,” He smiled brightly to the teenage girl in the admission booth. She just blew a bubble with her gum and hit the keys.

“Why would Kennedy suggest this place?” I asked crossing my arms in front of my chest as the girl gave him the bracelets we had to wear. Stuffing his wallet back into his pocket Chris mumbled something very fast and such a volume that I didn’t catch it. “Say that again?” I questioned.

He turned around and placed the bracelet on me, his already secure around his wrist. “He said seeing you in a bikini surrounded by other guys would be good as it should make him jealous,” He said, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

I narrowed my eyes at Chris; of course that was the reason. Why didn’t I realise this earlier? “Where are they?” I asked looking around. I really wanted to hurt Kennedy at the moment.

“They’re not here yet; Kennedy won’t enter the park till we’re changing.”

I groaned, “Are you sure about this?”

“Yes, now go and change,” Chris instructed, passing me one of the small duffle bags he was carrying.

“I hate you,” I grumbled before stomping off towards the girls’ change room. A part of me was hoping they’d show up, because another part of me was thinking this was just a ruse by Chris to get me alone. I wouldn’t put it past him sometimes. The change rooms were crowded and chaotic; I ended up changing quickly in a corner, placing my clothes back into the duffle bag. I left my flip flops on, happy that I had decided to wear them over my Converse. I exited the change room, the bag hanging off my shoulders, to find that the park was crowded. How was I supposed to find Chris in this?

I scanned the crowd a few times, trying to spot those stupid sunglasses he thinks make him look ‘hot’. I didn’t find them, instead I spotted a pair of beige shorts, and a familiar white shirt; the wearer grinning cheekily as he shook his shaggy brown hair out of his face. I couldn’t fight back the smile that took a hold of my face, and before I knew it was running towards him.

“Kenny!” I cried out flinging myself at myself proclaimed big brother. He caught me and spun me around in the air before setting me down and giving me a proper hug.

“Hey there stranger,” He smiled warmly, his eyes crinkling slightly. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been better,” I admitted with a shrug.

“Well hopefully this fixes things,” He grinned wiggling his eye brows.

I shook my head as I let out a light chuckle, “Oh that reminds me,” I said standing up straight, “Jerk,” I mumbled before punching him in the arm.

“He told you what I said didn’t he?” Kennedy mumbled as he rubbed his arm.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest and raised my eye brow, “You’ve some nerve talking about me like that.”

“Nah, you’re just in denial about how good you look,” He winked.

I shook my head before freezing at the sight of John in his swimming trunks. Kennedy turned and nodded his head at John, who nodded back before his eyes fell upon me. He slowed down and stuffed his hands into his pockets. “What haven’t you changed yet, Ken?” He asked casually.

“I was waiting for Chris or Ginger to show up first,” Kennedy shrugged.

“Well she’s here so go hurry up,” John said nonchalantly.

“You two behave,” Kennedy ordered before leaving us alone. I watched him go; he shot me a quick wink before entering the change room. I had a feeling he wasn’t going to be coming back.

“So,” I drew out after what felt like forever.

“So,” He nodded before turning his head to scope the area, probably to look for Kennedy or Chris.

I let a groan escape my lips and rolled my eyes at him, “John can we talk?” I asked him nervously.

“What is there to talk about?” He asked, not bothering to turn and look at me.

“How about the fact, that you’ve been ignoring me?” I suggested. I could have sworn he snorted at that. “No really, I want to know what I did that’s obviously pissed you off so much!”

He turned to look at me, the look wasn’t pleasant, and I faltered for a moment. “You of course haven’t done anything, why would you, Miss Perfect have done something to anger others?” He snarled.

I felt my throat tighten instantly, “I… I,”

He rolled his eyes and turned away again, “That’s what I thought,” He murmured.

“It’s not fair for you to pick on me,” I stated, fuelled with anger.

“It’s not fair to pick on you?” He snorted.

“No. Seeing how to my knowledge I haven’t done anything wrong!” I pressed on, determined not to let him break me. I straightened up and glared at him till he turned back around, he looked angry I prayed he wouldn’t be nasty; this was more of a bluff than anything else.

“You honestly don’t know, do you?” He questioned after an intense moment of silence. I shook my head ‘no’ feeling the tightness in my throat return. He let out a deep sigh and looked around pulling at his hair slightly, he looked back at me and his gaze softened a bit. “I heard about your date with that douche bag Tony,” he stated looking down at our feet.

“And that’s why you’ve been ignoring me?” I asked dryly. He scrunched up his face in discomfort before nodding slowly, “I don’t see how Tony justifies you being mad at me,” I folded my arms around my torso.

“Tony’s a fucking douche bag and you know it!” He blurted quickly, causing me to start. “Sorry, it’s just you know how much I hate him as much as he hates me, and you know about his reputation. You’re smarter than that, so why would you do that?” He stressed, looking pained as he searched my face for some hidden answer.

“It just sort of happened, I’m not even sure how; but what matters is that I saw him once and that was it. He’s intolerable and I believe I deserve an award for not shooting him at the end of the night,” At this he let out a soft chuckle, “But you still should not have ignored me because of it, I thought our friendship was strong enough to handle whatever douche bags we for some reason date,” I added sternly.

“You’re right, I’m sorry I was foolish. Forgive me?” He asked looking hopeful, I smiled and nodded my head quickly. “Great, now let’s go grab a locker and have fun. I think Kennedy got lost,” He chuckled lightly, grabbing my hand and leading the way.

I stared at the back of his head amazed by his ability to switch topics and emotions so quickly. As he paid for a locker and walked us towards said locker, I realised that he hadn’t let go of my hand yet. My heart skipped a beat, but then we were at the locker and he dropped it quickly.

The day progressed, John happy and content from there on out. We had gone down all the advance level water slides together – he had said he didn’t want to lose me too, and besides it was more fun this way – and had decided to make our way to the lazy lagoon when we spotted Chris and Kennedy chatting up some girls.

“Come on,” John chuckled pulling me over to the two. “Oh girls, you should really run away if you value your health. These boys haven’t been tested for ages now!” John called out, the girls turning to look at us questionably.

“It’s true, I’d run it I were you. Besides their dicks are nonexistent,” I shrugged grinning cheekily at the boys.

Slowly the girls looked at them then back at us, and promptly left afterwards. “Why’d you do that?” Chris whined dramatically.

“For ditching us,” John confessed. “Now come on, we’re going to the lazy lagoon. All of us,” He narrowed his eyes at them; they nodded their heads sadly and followed us.

“You didn’t need to lie about that last part you know,” Chris mumbled, glaring at me through the corner of his eyes.

“Who said I was lying?” I asked coyly before grabbing the tube from the girl and jumping into the lagoon first. John laughing loudly joined me, lazily holding his hand up for a high five. I complied before relaxing as completely as I could in a plastic tube.

Moments later we were passing by the food court area of the park and Chris called out my name. I turned to look back at him, “Yes?”

“There’s a group of guys checking you out, on your left,” He smirked before turning to wink at Kennedy.

I rolled my eyes, about to comment on my indifference when John’s hand grasped onto my handle tightly, and pulled me towards him. I turned and gave him a small smile before reaching up and messing up his hair.

“Hey watch it,” he threatened playfully.

“It’s just going to get wet anyways,” I rolled my eyes.

“No talking back missy. One more strike and you’re out!” He pointed his index finger at me.

“What are you going to do?” I taunted.

“That’s it,” He stated leaping up and tackling me out of my tube. I screamed in shock and squirmed about, as he started tickling me. I hadn’t even realised we were standing or that our tubes along with Chris and Kennedy had continued floating down the lagoon, until a lifeguard yelled at us to get out of the lagoon.

Feeling a blush crawl up my cheeks I let John help me out of the lagoon, “Well that was fun,” He laughed standing up to his full height.

“Now what,” I started out saying before he pulled me into him, his hands resting on my lower back.

He bent down, his breath ghosting over my shoulder, “Those boys are still looking at you,” He whispered.

I didn’t look behind me, I believed him, “Why is that an issue?” I questioned, staring up at him.

“They’re no good for you,” His response came out quick.

“And who is good for me?” He straightened up and was staring at me as I asked him this.

A look of concentration and deep thought fell upon his features. I didn’t move, I didn’t want to ruin this moment, “No one could ever be good enough for you,” He breathed after a moment. My heart sank, “But I know who would be good to you, and that’s all that really matters,” He added.

Staring into his hazel eyes, I braced myself for the answer, “And who would that be?”

He took a deep breath, “Me,” and with that he lent in, his hand supporting my jaw as he pressed his soft lips against mine. I pressed back standing onto my toes, my arms wrapping around his neck.

Loud cheering caused us to pull away, Chris and Kennedy were standing not too far off clapping and smiling proudly. I rolled my eyes and buried my head into his shoulder; he just chuckled and held me close. I was very happy, even with my face red and my friends being idiots. Nothing could make me happy, to be in his chlorine scented arms; this was perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠