Status: Thanks to the lovely Louise Belcher for the beautiful layout

That Girl

Karma Police, Arrest This Man (Respect)

It was nearly a week later when I finally got around to attending a formal band practice.

The boys dealt with band practice, like, well, boys.

Jack made dick jokes and teased me a bit. “Hey Stella.”

“Yeah?” I looked up from my notebook.

“What high school did you graduate from?”

I rolled my eyes. That’s the third time he’d asked, “Obviously, I'm not going to tell you where I went to high school, or else you'll start searching for my old yearbooks, you creeper. Let’s get back to the music. Now.” I pulled out my phone as it beeped, seeing a text from Pete.

Hey. Updates. Now.

I flipped it shut and slipped the Razor back in my pocket.

Jack pouted, “You’re no fun.”

I chuckled, “Music is fun, Jack. Play your riff from Coffee Shop-.”

“NO!” A collective no, nonetheless.

“Okay then,” My eyes were wide as I returned to my song book.

The guys laughed, and then they played a song they’d been working on called Let it Roll. I sat to the side with an unplugged electric guitar in my lap, trying to explain a few harmonizing chords to Alex and Jack for the song. It went over smoothly for the first few songs, until we reached the unchartered territory.

Alex’s undisclosed ideas.

I’d pulled Alex aside after the practice ended. “Look, I know how personal lyrics are, but if you’re comfortable-.”

“I’m not.” He cut me off, eyes hardened. He was back to his old self, prick-tastic. I let out a breath, closing my eyes to keep from losing my temper. Maybe I shouldn’t have given him so much room to refuse.

“Can’t you just listen to what my request is?” I asked, trying to be rational.

“I got through it last time fine.” He said stubbornly, jaw set as he spoke with an air of finality that he had no right to, “We’ll get it done this time just the same.”

“Do you trust me?” I asked. He shook his head, “Well, do you trust your band mates?”

He nodded, “What does that have to do with anything?”

“If you trust them, and you’re as close with them as I think you are, then showing them the lyrics would be a good idea.” He pursed his lips. Picking up on my habits, was he? “Zack writes some himself, and Rian actually wrote a song about Kara. You guys are open to each other about everything but music. That’s holding you back.”

I knew he’d be offended. I knew he’d accuse me of having no right to intrude and start telling them what to do. I knew that he wanted to stay in his comfort zone, and hide behind his poorly-built facades.

I didn’t know he’d add something to send me to a boiling point just to top it all off.

“-and you come in and start whoring yourself around-!” I slapped him. Hard.

“I’m doing everything I fucking can to give you your space. You’re abso-damn-lutely welcome to reject my ideas and contribute your own solutions. Now you’re just making my life difficult. When you want to have a successful professional work on your record for you for no charge, let me know.” I growled, all of Brendon’s words out the window. I’d be mature after this guy learned some respect. “I have better things to do than fly to Baltimore and be insulted by a worthless, nobody singer. You’re just as hopeless as your record label if you don’t have a god damn decent personality to a stranger that sacrificed six months of her time to help you.” I sneered. “Contracts be damned. If this is how things are going to be when I ask you to step out of your gated and barred comfort zone, I will be on the next flight to Los Angeles. Part of being the icon you so aspire to become is more than the words, it’s the guts. Of which you’re clearly lacking.”

He looked angry, but I didn’t stick around to hear whatever shit he wanted to spew now. I quickly made my way up the stairs, running into Zack along the way. I shrugged past him.

“Oh no you don’t.” He steered me towards the couch, setting his unopened can of Dr. Pepper on the coffee table. “What happened?”

“Your lead singer is being a complete and utter doucheface.” I stated bluntly, running my fingers through my already disheveled hair. A clump knotted and pulled away with my fingers. I hid it under my thigh.

“Interesting word choice.” Zack mused quietly before asking, “What’d he do?” I nearly sighed in relief, he hadn't noticed.

“I try to make a suggestion and he cuts me off before I even get to the second sentence!” I declared, feeling as though I would be eternally frustrated.

“Whatever it was about, I can tell you one thing.” The muscular bass player told me after a moment, “Alex likes being the leader, and hates it when his methods are questioned. And he’s really stubborn.”

“I noticed.” I scoffed.

“Yeah. I might not know him as well as Rian and Jack, but I can tell that much about him from being in the band for so long.” He said with a small smile, as if something were bothering him. That caused me to cool down a bit.

“Thanks for the insight, Zack.” I said in a softer, brushing off my skirt before following the group out the door to Rian’s car. It was quiet without Jack in the car and extremely awkward when Zack was dropped off, leaving Alex in the front next to Rian while I was huddled up in the back.

After we reached the house, I went straight to my room, even going as far as to pass Mr. Gaskarth without a word. I felt a twinge of guilt, but I was still angry with Alex for being so insufferable.

I ran into Mrs. Gaskarth in the hall. “What’s wrong, dear?”

“I’ll be departing for Los Angeles within the week. Sorry to intrude for so long and accomplish so little.” I said tonelessly.

“Oh dear, well, if that’s what you feel is right, I won’t question it.” She said, seeming slightly saddened.

I shot her an equally sad smile, “Thanks Mrs. G.” I made my way into my room, and buried my face into my pillow for about a minute.

I really needed to call Ryan.

I still hadn’t since Brendon had asked me to a few days ago. I was about ready to press the talk button when I heard an argument occurring downstairs.

“-girl’s trying to help you boys! I can’t believe that you’re keeping her from doing her job!” Mrs. Gaskarth was yelling?

“All she’s done is boss us around! You can ask the guys themselves! They hate her!” Liar. I moved out of my room and onto the balcony that overlooked the location where they were yelling.

“Are you kidding me, Alexander William? Jack called for her help on a guitar part last night at two in the morning and she stayed up talking to your best friend while working with an acoustic, trying to benefit you!”

“How does that help me?” The dolt protested.

“You and the boys are one group, Alexander! She’s been losing sleep, forgetting her morning routines, and I found some of her hair in the drain!” Oh Lord, they saw that? I mentally cursed, “It’s unhealthy, the dedication she’s putting into this record to make All Time Low a success!”

“Young man.” Oh no, now Mr. Gaskarth was getting involved, “You take what that girl says into consideration, whether she tells you to change a note, or an entire verse. She’s a brilliant musician. Her music from when she was just a freshman is still on the radio. Don’t you dare make her feel unwelcome, or I will personally make sure that the contract with Hopeless is terminated. Permanently.”

“But dad-!”

“Now Alex,” Mrs. G said in a softer voice. Much like that I was used to, “We’re not going to force you to apologize to her, because that would be meaningless, but I do want to get one thing through your head. Stella is not out to destroy you. She’s busting her pretty little behind for you. She took over both Matts’s jobs. Matt Squire will only be doing a bit of mixing, the rest is in her hands, and she booked you boys a night on David Letterman, as well as getting you spots for your tour in all the major cities across the US after you all graduate. She’s even letting you travel on the tour bus she used to tour in. Your friend Flyzik only has to attend and manage the crew.”

Pete must have told them about all of that, because I sure hadn’t, even if that was the truth. I just hadn’t gotten around to it. I rested my jaw on the heel of my hand, leaning against the wooden boundary.

“Oh.” There was a long, tense silence.

“Oh is right.” I murmured, figuring he’d probably heard me in the deafening silence as I turned around and walked back to my room.

“Learn some respect, Alexander, I raised you better than that.” Mrs. Gaskarth said darkly as I shut my door. There wasn’t much talk in the house afterwards. I could tell by the thin walls.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm suffering from a night of insomnia. My irritation with my body's refusal to sleep turned into this jumbled mess. I hope it is enjoyed, nonetheless.

Stella's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=34799168

Comments are love.
Bell