Not Enough

one

My earphones were stuck in my ears, as I ran down the street, blocking out everything around me. Before I knew it, I was on the ground, and someone was on top of me. I shook my head, taking one earphone out and sitting up.

"I'm so sorry" she said grabbing her book off the ground. Her cheeks were flushed and she avoided eye contact, "I need to stop reading and walking"

I just smirked, "Are you okay?"

"Yes" she replied standing up, "I--" she finally looked at me and she was cut off. She looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Taylor..."

"Do I know you?"

"No, but I know you. Who doesn't know you?" she laughed nervously, "I mean, we go to school, we're in the same English class, Math class, and every class..."

I felt stupid for not knowing her name, but then again, this entire town knew who I was.

"I'm really sorry, again" she said again brushing past me.

My hand reached out and grabbed her arm, "What's your name?"

"Jaden" she replied, "Jaden Marie"

"Really nice name"

"Thanks..."

"You can look at me, you know" her eyes finally looked up at me, and I've never seen eyes so blue. For a moment she kept her eyes on me but then looked down at her hands.

"I need to go" she said quietly, "I'll see you around"

She walked away, and immediately I felt myself wanting to know more.

--

My heart was racing inside my chest as I walked away from him. I think my cheeks were still flushed. He was the jock I admired from afar, and I was the straight A student, who's name he didn't know. I clutched onto my book, Pride & Prejudice, the book I've had since I was a little girl. I've read it a million times, and I always wondered what it would be like to meet my Mr. Darcy, or if I ever would.

I got home and sighed as I set my book on the island in the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Reading in the park again?" my dad asked waltzing into the kitchen.

I just nodded and sat up on the barstool, "And reading and walking again"

He just laughed, "Run into anyone this time?"

I felt my cheeks burn again just thinking about it and laughed, "Nope, not this time"

"Your mom won't be home til late, so dinner on me?"

I just nodded and smiled, "That sounds great dad"

My mom wasn't around often, she always seemed to be working late at the office or on a business trip, and when she did come home, she was working. Basically, it was just my dad and I, who was a mechanic, and owned his own small business in our town. He was respected and well known, but I was his biggest fan.

We stepped into a small restaurant, not far from our house. We ordered our usual pizza, with just cheese. We were picky, I'm certainly my father's daughter.

"I'll be right back, just going to use the washroom" I wiped my hand on my napkin, stood up and made my way to the washroom. I stopped in my tracks when my eyes met someone else's, eyes that I'd never forget.

He mouthed "hi" and I just smiled and replied with the same gesture. As someone brushed past me, I shook myself back into reality and went to the washroom. My heart took some time, but it managed to get back to normal, but I had a feeling this didn't mean nothing.

"Are you okay?" my dad asked as I sat back down at the table.

"I'm fine" I said, "Why?"

"Oh! There's Steve and Kim" he said as he grabbed the bill off the table, "Come with me, their son is a big shot hockey player, but a nice kid, you should meet him"

"I know who he is dad" I mumbled.

"Well you can say hi then" he said grabbing my hand and dragging me towards their direction. They were just paying and leaving, thank goodness.

"Steve, how are you!?" my dad said greeting him with a handshake. The rest of them turned around and Taylor's expression turned to surprise but then a smile appeared on his face, and I felt relief.

He pulled me aside and let our parents chat, "I have a question for you"

"Okay" I replied, "Shoot"

"I was wondering if you wanted to meet up tomorrow, we have this test in English and I could really use your help"

"Seriously? Are you sure that's a good idea. Do you know what people will say if they see us--"

"You care what people say?"

"No, but--"

"Okay, I'll meet you before class, after practice, 7:30, down by the docks"

Before I could say anything, he was saying bye, and leaving with his family. What just happened?