Not Enough

two

It was 7:38 and I was starting to lose faith that he was coming. I grabbed my books and stood up, setting up to leave when he stopped in front of the bench, trying to catch his breath.

"You're late..."

"Practice ran long, I'm sorry" he replied breathlessly, "But I'm here now, aren't I?"

I just sighed, "Yah I guess" I set my books down and he smiled.

We were studying Shakespeare, and he just didn't seem to get any of it. In particular, we were doing Macbeth, which happened to be one of my favorite plays.

I was still wondering if this whole thing was still a good idea.

"So, you're telling me revenge, and his insane wife caused him to kill....like everyone?" he said as we walked down the halls of the school the next day.

I just smirked, "You're starting to get the basics" I nodded, "But trust me, there's alot more behind it"

He spotted his friends and turned to face me, "So, after school? I'll meet you in the library?"

"Do you even know where it is?" I asked.

He joked, "Trust me, I'm really not that stupid"

I just laughed and bit my lip nervously, "Uh, I'll meet you there"

He went to go, but turned back and reached in his pocket, "I almost forgot, I got you something, for helping me"

"You didn't need to do that Taylor..." he pulled a small plastic bracelet, with multicolored beads, and my name on it, from his pocket and put it on my wrist.

"It's my thank you gift" he shrugged, "I'll see you after school"

--

I needed the help, but at the same time, this girl was getting to me, and I liked it. The guys were on my case about it, but I brushed it off, because for the first time, I was really starting to care about someone, I think.

I met her outside the doors of the library, and she was still surprised I showed up. She didn't say it, but you could see it in her eyes, and yet, she still waited every time.

We sat across from each other, and she was going on about something for the test, and I found myself watching her, more than listening to her. She just smiled, and pretended it was nothing, and kept talking.

"Okay" I said stopping, "I need to know something"

"What's that?" she asked nervously.

"You"

"Excuse me?"

"We've gone 2 days at this stuff, and I know nothing about you. Can I get to know you?"

"There's not much to know Taylor..." she said quietly, "And plus, it's not like we're friends...."

I looked down at my hands and sighed, "What if I wanted to be friends?"

"Since when?"

"Since I met you"

"Okay, I've passed you in the hallways multiple times, watched you play your hockey, and have been dragged to the same parties you go to and then it takes one run in for you to even know my name"

"Jade, it's not like--"

"Don't call me Jade" she snapped, "It's Jaden"

"I'm sorry, I guess I hit a nerve"

"This is just a little fast for me Taylor, I'll help you and then we'll go back to how it used to be"

"I don't think I can do that" I replied, shaking my head.

She stood up and grabbed her books, "Why?"

"Because I know your name"

She shook her head and threw her bag over her shoulder, "We are from two different worlds, and we won't be friends okay? If you need anymore help, talk to me at school tomorrow" she left the library, but one of her books was still sitting in front of me. I grabbed it, setting it in my bag and kept it with me, until tomorrow.

--

"You like him"

I slammed my locker shut and turned to face my best friend Ryder.

"I do not!" I snapped back at her, "I don't want to be a part of that world"

"Just be friends" she shrugged, "What could be the harm? A few texts, hanging out, it's harmless"

"I am harmless" I turned to face the voice behind me, and met his eyes again. He was smiling like an idiot and I couldn't help but smile back.

"What do you want?"

He reached into his bag and pulled out one of my books, "You forgot this yesterday, and I still think we need another meeting at lunch before I do this test today, okay?"

I took the book from him and nodded, "Sure thing, I'll meet you there"

He smiled with a nod and brushed past us. I looked back at Ryder and she had a smug look on her face, "He likes you too by the way"

I smacked her arm and stuck my book in the bag, "Not happening"

I stepped outside, searching and found him sitting alone in the far corner of the lunch area. I took a deep breath and sat down beside him, "Now you're the one who's late" he replied as I set my stuff out on the table.

"Don't push it bud"

"Bud?"

"I call everyone that" I said quickly, "It's really nothing--let's just do this okay?"

He just nodded as I opened my book, and a small piece of paper fell out.

I'm sorry, to make it up to you, my number it was followed by his number and I smiled to myself, looking over at him, squinting at the pages in front of him.

"You're going to do good today" I said, "I promise"

He smiled, big this time, and my heart beat a little faster than normal and I shook my head.

"You okay?" he asked.

"I'm perfect"