Not Enough

three

He ran up to me in the hallway a few days later, with the biggest smile on his face, "Because of you...I got a B"

I smiled, and like it was a standard reflex, I reached up, wrapping my arms around him in a hug. I pulled away quickly, realizing how weird it was.

"I'm sorry, I was just--"

"It's okay" he nodded, "I'm proud of me too"

"So, I guess this is it then" I said, fiddling with my fingers.

"Jaden, I was actually wondering if maybe you'd come out with me sometime. Maybe, tonight actually, come watch me play, and then maybe you can come over later or something"

You could tell he was nervous, I didn't know why, I didn't understand why, "Why?" was all that managed to come out of my mouth and he just shook his head.

"No, I suppose you're right, maybe we should just--"

"No" I cut him off, "I want to"

He flashed his smile again, and my heart melted. How he managed to do that was beyond me, "So I'll see you tonight then"

"You will"

--

She said yes. I don't know why it seemed so far-fetched to even ask her out, we're really not all that different. I don't think we are.

I looked around the arena, and eventually spotted her, after a few shifts of being on the ice. She seemed nervous, like she didn't fit in here. I really hoped I could change that.

She was waiting in the lobby, leaning against the wall, away from the crowds of other girlfriends and some family. I stepped in front of her and she looked up from her phone, "Hey"

"Ready to go?"

"I am" she nodded, "I think"

"Don't worry, I don't bite" I whispered.

The drive was quiet, she still seemed nervous and I didn't know how to change that.

"You don't need to be nervous" I told her.

"I still am" she was trying to hide her hands, that were shaking. I found myself reaching over and grabbing one, in hopes that they would stop and they did.

"Better?" I asked.

"Yes..."

I opened the front door of the house, and she stepped in behind me. She looked around, observing her new surroundings while taking off her shoes. I grabbed her hand again and pulled her to the back door, sliding it open and stepping out onto the porch, "The stars are really beautiful this time of night"

"You're showing me the stars?" she half chuckled and shook her head, "You are nothing like I expected"

"What did you expect?"

"Let's just say it wasn't this" she replied.

"Can I ask you something?"

She kept her eyes on the sky but nodded, giving me permission to carry on.

"Why are you so afraid of me?"

The question caught her off guard and she turned to look at me, "What makes you think that?"

I just shrugged, "You're just awkward and nervous around me, unless we're studying, and I want to know why"

"I'm an awkward person" she smirked at her own remark and looked back up at the stars, "And I just never thought that anyone like you, who I've admired from afar for so long would even take an interest in being my friend"

"Admired from afar?"

"It's our little secret, okay? Maybe I've had a slight crush since you moved here..."

I just laughed, "That's cute"

She just nodded slightly, "I guess..." she looked back up at the sky, and I watched her, but I don't think she knew.

"What did you think of my game tonight?" I asked, not expecting any kind of answer.

"You looked kind of sluggish, and you looked like you weren't that focused tonight, you weren't shooting very well, and you missed alot of passes"

My mouth hung open and she laughed at my response.

"My dad watches you play all the time" she replied, "And he watches alot of hockey, it's our father daughter time, what else is a father supposed to do with his daughter in a town like this?"

"I just never expected those words to come out of your mouth"

"You'd be surprised at what comes out of my mouth sometimes Mr. Hall" she smirked, almost like she was teasing me.

"I believe you"

She sat down on the step and I followed her, "So is this considered a date?" she asked, "Or do you spend nights under the stars with all your friends?"

"You seem to be talking alot more now"

"I guess I'm not so nervous anymore. It's your fault though"

"I will gladly take the blame for this one" I nodded keeping my eyes on her. She looked over at me, and everything inside me wanted to kiss her, but I knew that right now it wasn't what she wanted, it was too soon.

"Are you going to kiss me or not Hall? Cause this is your last chance"

--

I was even surprised at the words coming out of my mouth, but I wanted him to, I didn't know why, but his eyes venturing down to my lips every few seconds told me he wanted to too.

"Excuse me?"

"Or I can go home, and we can forget we were even here"

Before I could even try and stand up he leaned in and kissed me, causing me to slightly gasp at how suddenly he reeled me in. As the kiss deepened, his hands rested on my cheeks, like he didn't want to stop. I pulled back, slowly opening my eyes and biting my lip, "Wow..."

"Anything else you need?" he asked.

I smiled and shook my head in disbelief, "Kiss me again"

Without hesitation he did, and I knew my life had just changed completely, and I was okay with that.