‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Stand-off

Kate yawned, swiping at her drooping eyelids from her post in the back of the high school classroom. Classes began at seven-thirty sharp on January third leaving her still exhausted from New Years. Her eyes scanned for the familiar clock hanging above the whiteboard, counting down minutes until she could retreat to her bed then preferably sleep for the next decade. Her golden eyes caught on a raised hand, then flickered over to Ms. Medina, who was preoccupied. Her face contorted into a grimace when she saw whom it belonged to.

“Can I help you, Austin?” she asked sweetly, walking over to his desk. He looked up, shooting her a smug smirk.

“Yeah, but it has nothing to do with Ray Steinbeck,” he said, a suggestive undertone in his voice. Kate gritted her teeth, struggling to keep the fake smile on her face.

“It’s actually Ray Bradbury and John Steinbeck,” she corrected gently, choosing to ignore the rest of his statement. His friends snickered behind him, and his cool composure faltered for a moment.

“Do you have a—“ he started mischievously, but Kate was a step ahead of him.

“Austin, I suggest you think very carefully before finishing that statement. I’ll answer any question that has to do with this class, but nothing more,” she said sharply, and watched the dumbfounded boy. She gave a tight lipped smile before turning on the heel of her black flats.

“That’s not how it was last night,” he chuckled to his friends, causing her to whip around again. Her golden eyes were narrowed to slits, and her cheeks had taken on an angry crimson flush.

“Austin, I’ve had enough of your disrespect,” she hissed, her voice low. For the first time, a glimmer of regret flashed through Austin’s amber eyes. “I gave you plenty of warning, but you refused to knock it off. Take your things and go to the office, now.”

He sat frozen for a moment, as did his friends. Finally, he slammed his books shut, stormed from his seat, and closed the door with an echoing ‘thud.’ Kate took a shaky breath, turning to see Ms. Medina watching with an unreadable expression on her face. Kate winced, thinking the worst. When a small smile curled onto the older woman’s lips, a sigh of relief gushed from Kate’s blush colored lips.

“You handled that well,” she commented as the class filed from their desks after the bell chimed. Kate leaned against the metal structure, allowing it to dig into her palms. She blew her bangs out of her eyes, chuckling softly.

“You think? I mean, that reaction really was something,” she mumbled, to which Ms. Medina only laughed.

“You called him out, and there wasn’t a thing he could do about it. Teenagers don’t like to be wrong.”

“Are they always like that?” Kate groaned, for the first time doubting her future as a teacher.

“No. There’s always one, though, who just needs exactly what you gave Austin. A reality check.” Her slate gray eyes searched through Kate’s for a moment, reaching into her soul. “You’re gonna be great at this. It just takes some time.”

As Kate sat on Kendall’s bed later that night, the words were echoing through her head. Somehow, they had been just what she needed to hear. The bed hinges creaked as Kendall sat beside her, his jade eyes watching her with concern. He placed a hand on Kate’s forehead, his own etched with worry lines.

“Hmm, no fever. You look like Kate. You feel like Kate.” Kendall jabbed her in the side, causing her to glare and laugh at the same time. Her eyes watched him curiously, almost as if he had gone insane. “But for some reason, you’re being awfully un-Kate-like.”

“Okay, first, un-Kate-like? I’m not even going to approach how awful your grammar is.”

“Oh, never mind, I found her!” he teased, wrapping an arm around her. She shrugged it off, hitting it playfully.

“I’m being perfectly myself,” she protested, raising her eyebrows as he avoided her gaze. “I am!”

“What’s on your mind, Katie?” he whispered, his pupils finally meeting hers. She raked a hand through her dark waves, giving a soft smile.

“I sorta sent that kid who was harassing me to the office today, after I maybe told him off.” Kendall tried to hide the grin creeping upon his face, to no avail.

“Who knew you had it in you?” he teased, and she smacked him again.

“I lost my temper. I shouldn’t have done it.”

“Kate, you gave the kid a stern talking to. Knowing you, you didn’t even raise your voice. I would’ve kicked the punk’s ass. You’re a great teacher, Kate, with great instincts,” he assured her, and she wove her arm around his torso, leaning against his shoulder.

“I suppose you’re right. I just hate upsetting people.” She looked down at her bare feet, which were squished in the plush tan carpeting.

“Than I’ll just have to cheer you up,” Kendall said, beaming as he tackled them to the bed, his fingers grazing her sides. She laughed as he intentionally hit her ticklish spots.

“Not fair, Schmidt,” she breathed out, her squeals bouncing off of the latte walls.

“But you’re laughing,” he said pointedly, his hands instead resting on either side of her as he hovered above her. She breathed heavily, rolling her eyes.

“Because it’s a knee-jerk reaction when someone tickles you,” she said, but couldn’t help the smile on her face.

“Oh, just admit it, I have that effect on you,” he teased, and her golden eyes rolled in their socket once more.

“Whatever helps you sleep at night.” His hands caressed her sides again, and she laughed, trying to wrestle him off of her. Finally, she caught his arms, her body lying on top of his.

“You win,” he breathed out, and she smiled, her hair falling in a curtain around them.

“Thank you. I really do love you, Kendall,” she murmured before connecting their lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, not sure when I can update next, because I'll be gone Tuesday and Wednesday, but I'll try. Hope this can tide you over though. In the next chapter things get really interesting(:

Thank you so much for all of the support, I really love you guys.

Also, starting another side project, check it out? Tears Like Diamonds I'm not sure when I'll start, all dependent on feedback I get.

You guys are seriously awesome.

xxxo, Sara