‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Valentines

“Now, tell me again what I need to wear,” Kate said with a laugh through the phone. Kendall chuckled on the other end, leaning against the wall. Kate raked her free hand through her hair, awaiting his response.

“Something dressy,” he answered, shrugging, even though she couldn’t see it. Kate let the air gush from her lungs, groaning.

“How dressy? Are we talking casual dressy, or formal dressy, or somewhere in-between?” Her voice became rushed as her free hand waved through the air, grasping for the correct motions.

“Are there really that many different types of dressy?”

“For girls? Yes. Now be serious, what should I wear,” she whined, collapsing on her old tan textile couch.

“Well, I guess formal dressy. You do have something, don’t you?” he asked, concern suddenly flooding through his voice. Kate clenched her teeth, her eyes looking at the bumps on the ceiling as she visualized her closet.

“I think I do. What time are you picking me up again?”

“At seven. Does that work for you?”

“That’s in an hour.”

“I know.”

“You’re absolutely infuriating.”

“I know.”

“I love you, I have to go get ready.”

“Love you too. See you in fifty nine minutes.” Kendall laughed as the blunt ringing was suddenly in his ears.

***


Kendall knocked at the familiar door an hour later, leaning against the frame as he waited. After a few moments, he turned the brass knob, smiling as the door swung open. Kate never had been one to lock it. The living room was empty, but he could see the light from Kate’s bedroom cascading into the shadowed corridor.

“Kate?” he called, taking a few more steps into the apartment.

“I’ll be there in a sec,” she called back, her voice slightly frazzled. He laughed, leaning against the worn dining room table.

His jaw dropped as Kate stepped into the hallway and into his view. Her hair was in some complicated twist that he would never understand, and she smirked at him with her ruby lips, her eyes brightened by the glimmering shadow on her lids. The heels of her sleek black pumps clicked against the tile floor as she neared him. She wore a beautiful slate gray one-shouldered dress, which draped around her and the hem floated just above the floor. She slowly turned for him, and he struggled to find the right words.

“Do I look okay for where we’re going?” she asked, a note of concern filling her voice. Kendall tore his eyes away from her, hoping it would help him remember words to say.

“You look better than okay. You look perfect,” he whispered, bringing his olive eyes to meet hers. A blush crept across her flawless cheeks as she took a few more steps towards him.

“You clean up pretty nice, too,” she murmured, gesturing to his suit. He shrugged, reaching out to lace his fingers with hers. They started toward the door and down the stairs, Kate taking extra care to make sure she didn’t go sprawling down them.

“I’m surprised. You haven’t even asked where we’re going,” Kendall pointed out as he opened the car door for her. She thanked him, biting on her cheek as he walked around to the other side. She waited until they were pulling out of the dreary parking garage to respond.

“I trust you.” With those words, Kendall felt the guilt surging through him. He knew he had to tell her soon about the tour. It had taken him this long to get her trust back, and if he waited, it would just crumble again. His grip tightened on the steering wheel as he tried not to step on the accelerator.

“Just a fair warning, stick by my side,” he mumbled, and Kate raised an eyebrow curiously. Flashing lights caught her eyes, along with loud cheering. Her golden eyes widened a bit, and she sat up straighter, trying to get a glimpse.

“Kendall, what is this?” she asked cautiously. Kendall glanced at her from the corner of his eye, giving a small smile.

“I told you that I was trying to protect you, keeping you from my famous life. But it’s not fair for you. I want the world to know I love you, Katherine Williams.” Her eyes were watering, and she fought it valiantly, not wanting the black mascara running down her cheeks.

“I love you too, Kendall Schmidt. Happy Valentine’s Day,” she said softly, attempting to regain her composure. He parked the car and took her arm, leading her to the red carpet. She tried her best not to become blinded by the flashing bulbs. Reporters and paparazzi were screaming questions, and Kendall led her gently over to one, his hand resting on the small of her back.

“Kendall, who is this?” the reporter asked, thrusting an over sized microphone into his face. Kendall smiled smoothly, an action Kate attempted to mimic. Her stomach was flipping; she was just praying to God that she didn’t fall flat on her face.

“This is the one and only Kate. My girlfriend,” he said, flashing a brilliant beam. His eyes fell upon Kate, trying to read her. She gave a reassuring grin, to both Kendall and the reporter. The interview went on about work and future plans, but Kate blocked it out, focusing instead on Kendall. They continued to walk the carpet before eventually making it to the building.

“Oh gosh, it’s beautiful in here,” Kate mused, looking at the flower adorned tables and beautiful lighting. Other celebrities were crowded around the dinner thrown by some charity, but Kate managed to make out two familiar faces.

“Kate, Kendall, over here,” James called, pushing the sleeves of his black jacket up his forearms. Carolyn sat beside him, smiling shyly. Kate sat beside her, and Kendall next to Kate.

“It’s nice to see you again, Carolyn,” Kate said, while the boys chattered on about who knows what.

“It’s nice to see you too. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one caught up in the crazy world of Rushers,” she said softly, her carnation colored lips forming a smile.

“I haven’t had a chance to really talk to you. How are you adjusting to the whole dating a celebrity thing?”

“It gets tough. But I think James is worth it.” Her mocha eyes softened as she said James’ name, and Kate let out a sigh of relief.

“I’m glad he found someone, especially a girl as nice as you. Past all of his teasing, he’s great.” Both of them looked at the chestnut haired boy, who was in the middle of telling Kendall some sort of humorous story.

“I know what you mean; but he’s such a caring person behind all of it. I really think we’ll make it. I mean, the tour is gonna be hard, but I believe.” Kate blinked a few times, looking at the girl’s porcelain features.

“I’m sorry, did you say tour?” Kate asked, her voice cracking halfway through. Carolyn tilted her head a bit, a few strands loose from her bun curling against her neck.

“Yeah. Their worldwide tour; James told me about it a few days ago.”

“Oh, yeah, that,” Kate said, her eyes flickering to Kendall, who was too absorbed in James’ tale to hear the girls’ conversation. She felt her heart cracking just the slightest in her chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is probably the last chapter I'll be able to get out for a week or so. I'll try my best, but just a fair warning for all of you. This story is almost at 50 readers, and I think we can get there. What about you?

So, what do you think's gonna happen now that Kate knows, and Kendall didn't tell her?

I love you guys, you're so great to me. Comments are always appreciated.

xxxo, Sara