‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Serenity

“Where are we going?” Kate asked, a giggle bubbling from her lungs. Kendall grasped one of her tiny hands tight in his own, and was weaving them through the crowded sidewalks of Los Angeles. Kate was constantly looking down at her beige ballet flats, making sure she wouldn’t trip. Their pace wasn’t helping in the least bit; all they seemed to do was speed up.

“You’ll, see, I promise,” Kendall said, giving her a quick glance back, his jade eyes dancing enthusiastically. Kate bit down on her smiling bottom lip, rolling her eyes. She knew she couldn’t deny him this adventure, or ruin it. In all honesty, she was excited to see what sort of elaborate plan he had.

The sun beat down on them and the cracked cement, and it was warm, even for the middle of October. Kate raised her face to the yellow light, allowing her eyelids to flutter shut for a moment and the light bounce off of her face. Kendall tugged her hand, and she immediately continued on. She nearly tripped on a jagged crack in the pavement, but Kendall was there, his strong arms catching her.

“Watch your step,” he said softly, a grin gracing his face. He moved his face closer to hers, and she could make out the faint freckles dotting his creamy skin. She playfully pushed him away, standing back up on her own.

“Thanks for catching me,” she said, and he stood, mesmerized by the way her lips curved into a smile, or her eyes were like glittering gold. She walked ahead of him; her fingers still laced with his. He snapped out of his daydream as she lightly yanked his hand.

“What?” he asked, his eyebrows knitting together and his lips falling slightly open. Kate tried to hide the small chuckle working its way out of her rose colored lips.

“You were kinda leading the way. I have no clue where you’re taking me, ‘cause you insisted it would be a surprise,” she reminded him gently, and he blinked a few times, his tawny eyelashes tangling together.

“Oh. Right,” he mumbled. He started to sprint again, towing Kate right behind him by her hand. She was laughing as they ran, and people stopped to stare. Some smiled, some looked pissed because they accidentally bumped into them. Either way, the only people Kate and Kendall noticed were each other.

The crowd eventually started to thin out, and Kate looked curiously around where they were headed. She took note of the grass, although a bit brown and prickly, approaching. The dry foliage increased, but Kendall’s speed remained steady. They weren’t quite there yet.

Kate’s eyes caught a glimpse of turquoise, and her mind processed slowly. Then, she knew. Kendall’s pace started to slow, and his fingers untangled from hers. Instead, he draped his bronzed, muscular arm around Kate’s scrawny shoulder, pulling her close as he kissed the top of her head. Their feet hit white sand, and Kate was wonder-struck by the view before her.

The sun was close to the horizon, casting shades of lilac, salmon, coral, and saffron across the sky. The wispy clouds caught some of the color, reflecting it in their depths. What made it the most beautiful, however, was when the steely ocean mirrored it across it’s ridged surface, like a million prisms. Kate paused, a gasp escaping her parted lips.

“What do you think?” Kendall whispered into her ear, his warm breath tickling her skin.

“It’s so beautiful,” she murmured, allowing the salty breeze to carry her dark curls away from the smooth topaz skin of her face. Her features were softened, and she slid from under Kendall’s arm, proceeding to slip off her shoes and allowing the bag slung across her shoulder to fall to the ground. She faced him, walking slowly backwards, her tiny hand extended for him. He grabbed it, following her to where the waves lapped at the pearl colored grains of sand.

She walked in ankle deep, her pink floral skirt fluttering around her thighs, the waves breaking around her. Kendall slipped off his Vans and rolled up the legs of his dark denim jeans before again clasping her hand in his. They couldn’t help but notice, it felt like their hands were puzzle pieces, connecting perfectly together. They watched the sun become cut in half by the sea; it’s usually blinding white light a dull yellow. Kate leaned her head against his broad shoulder, and his arm snaked around her waist. It was as if they were the only people on earth; the only sound was their breathing, and the waves licking at the sand.

However, the high pitched ringing from Kendall’s pocket cut the silence like a knife, returning them to the populated world. As he looked at the gleaming plastic, he groaned. It was none other than James and his always-impeccable timing. He glanced at Kate’s serene face, which nodded encouragingly. Her arm hugged his waist; her head returning to the soft fabric of the flannel shirt as Kendall answered it.

“What do you need, James?” he asked, trying to keep his voice calm. From the way Kate’s body trembled with laughter, he could tell it wasn’t working.

“Just calling to see where you were. You went completely AWOL,” James replied, from the way it sounded, he shrugged.

“Well, I’m kinda busy, I’ll be back in a hour or two.”

“Okay, okay. See you then. By the way, tell Kate I say hi,” he said quickly, his voice breaking with laughter. Kate heard, and looked up at Kendall.

“I thought you didn’t tell them?” she mouthed, her eyebrows furrowing. Kendall’s eyes widened as he looked down at her frowning face.

“I didn’t,” he mouthed, before returning to the phone. “What makes you think I’m with Kate?”

“Because every night for the past week, you’ve come home smelling like her orange-y perfume. Plus, you’re smile has been so bright, it’s sorta hard to look at.” Kate reached up, snatching the phone away from Kendall’s hand.

“James,” she said cautiously. She could almost hear his smirk.

“Poodle,” he replied, with a chuckle. Kate grimaced, shaking her head.

“Who else knows that we’re back together?”

“Besides me? You know, only Carlos and Logan.”

“That’s all of you,” she said through gritted teeth.

“I suppose it is. Well I’m going to go, I have another call, but enjoy yourselves, kids.” The dial tone echoed in Kate’s ear. She snapped the phone shut, handing it back to Kendall.

“We aren’t very sneaky,” he sighed, brushing some hair away from Kate’s face. She gave a half smile, reaching for his hand.

“Nope, we certainly aren’t making the FBI or CIA anytime soon,” she teased, the sarcasm seeping through the words. He wrapped his arms around her, and she snuggled into his chest.

“I wish we could just stay like this forever,” Kendall whispered, his words muted against Kate’s russet curls.

“I do too,” she mumbled against the soft maroon fleece. Their eyes met, holding each other a bit tighter. The gentle wind grazed their faces, neither wanting to be the first to breakaway.

“Reality beckons,” Kendall admitted sadly, and Kate nodded slowly. He kissed her forehead and they broke apart, aside from their hands, and made their way up the secluded beach, back to the crowded city.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awh, this is honestly a sweet chapter. I think I like it, what do you guys think about the imagery?

So, the guys know. What's going to happen?

Also, you should check out my Contest :D

Anyway, all of you are still reading, thanks. I love you<3

xxxo, Sara