‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Teenage Dream

“So, what I want you to do, is write down your opinion of the code of chivalry, and what aspects are good or bad, and why,” Ms. Medina said enthusiastically, her silver eyes shining. Kate sat at her spot in the back, observing. She was so happy she was assisting someone so passionate about teaching. “If you have any questions, just ask Miss Williams or myself.” The students bent over their desks, staring intently at blank sheets of loose leaf.

“You’re absolutely beaming. I’ll take it things worked themselves out?” Ms. Medina whispered, walking over to Kate.

“Yeah. I’m doing well now,” she admitted quietly, running a hand through her long chocolate curls. Ms. Medina smiled, her wise eyes soaring over the teenagers.

“Why don’t you go help Austin?” she suggested, and Kate smiled and complied. Austin Redding was an average 16-year-old. He wasn’t particularly great in English, but tried to cover it with a ‘who-gives-a-damn’ attitude. Ms. Medina had been trying to get through to him since the year started, with little success, since his posse was ever-present.

“How are you doing, Austin?” she asked softly, standing beside the old, graffiti ridden desk. Austin’s small amber eyes fell upon her face, and his thin lips formed a smirk. He flipped his copper hair out of his eyes.

“Better, now that you’re here,” he said smoothly, leaning back against the stiff maroon chair. Kate tried to take a deep breath, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

“I meant on the paper, Austin,” she said levelly.

“Sure you did,” he said, winking at her. Her mouth fell open, and her golden eyes widened. She knew high school students were hormonal, but this was ridiculous.

“Austin, I’d really appreciate if you would knock that off,” she said sternly, raising a dark eyebrow as she awaited his response.

“I’m sorry, I was just giving you a preview my paper. That whole chivalry sh-crap,” he retorted, and Kate dug her nails in to her palm, counting to ten. She then moved on to the girl next to him, Leigha, who was enamored with the concept. As she turned her back, she heard Austin whispering something to his friends about her.

She felt her blood boiling, and by the time the bell rang and the students raced towards the door like a heard of cattle, all she wanted to do was scream. Sure, she was well high school guys were jerks, but she figured they wouldn’t be hitting on her. Guys hadn’t even hit on her when she was in high school. As for the boys talking about her physical attributes, she thought that ended with her teen-years. She ran her hands through her tousled locks, trying to relax.

“Are you okay, Kate?” Ms. Medina asked, tucking a bronze strand of hair behind her ear. Kate snapped out of her daze, blinking her golden eyes a few times.

“Yeah, just shocked, I guess.”

“Well, what happened?”

“Austin was making completely inappropriate comments towards me.” She chewed down on her lip. Admitting it made her feel embarrassed.

“Well, what do you want to do about it?” Ms. Medina’s voice was soft, and Kate allowed a sigh to gush out of her lips.

“He’s just a kid. Half the things they say are like that, anyway. If it happens again, I’ll do something.”

“Just remember, Kate. You’re a strong, powerful woman. You don’t have to deal with crap like that. Especially in your class.”

Kate sat alone, letting the words sink in. She was once again so thankful that she had been assigned to assist Ms. Medina. She composed herself as the next bell rang, and the empty seats were once again full of gossiping students. A small smile played on her lips, remembering her own high school life. Back when everything was so easy, but it seemed like the weight of the world was on her shoulders.

Kate shook her head, letting memory-lane fade away. She needed to focus on today, and what lay ahead of her. There were so many things in the past that she wished she could change. However, focusing on that took away time from living, and that was the really important thing. Living life, instead of spending it afraid.

As she looked at the bright eyes and faces of the teenagers, she remembered why this all meant so much to her. She was given a chance to tell them about great stories, but it wasn’t just that. For an hour every day, she had a chance to let them forget about all of the teenage angst and drama, and become lost in the words and plots. And that was truly worth it.

***


“Kate, not to ruin your dreams, or anything, but there’s three tables waiting for service, and there’s only one of me,” Cole teased, walking past her in the diner. She rolled her eyes, looking up at the ginger haired boy.

“I’ll get the table. You could’ve asked nicely,” she snapped, and Cole widened his eyes, looking at her curiously.

“You know, you’re really crabby when you’re single. It’s a miracle you had a boyfriend at all,” he mumbled, and Kate shot him a look.

“For your information, Kendall and I got back together. I just didn’t go around telling people, because I don’t need them nosing around in my relationship,” she retorted, grabbing her notepad from her apron.

“Well, congrats. But then what’s your issue?”

“I just had a rough day at work.”

“Well, since your shift just started here, I’m assuming you mean the teacher’s assistant thing. What happened? What are you feeling?” As he gazed intently at her with his ocean eyes that seemed to reach into her soul, she knew he’d make a good psychologist. Not that she’d ever tell him that, he had an ego as it was.

“A student made some suggestive comments directed at me,” she mumbled, getting ready to head to the booth in the corner where a small family had taken post.

“I told you, it’s the whole hot teacher thing.” Before he had time to react, she reached in her apron, and chucked a small handful of change at him. It jingled to the floor, and she pasted a smile on her face, continuing to the corner. It became less fake however, when she heard Cole’s muted profanities as he scooped pennies and dimes off of the black and white tiled floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, I know I haven't updated in awhile, and I know this was kinda short.
In all honestly, I don't like this chapter, I just couldn't get into writing it.
The next one will be better, I promise. Thanks for sticking with me(:

xxxo, Sara