‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Reunited

“Hey, beautiful. How was your day?” The words rolled off Kendall’s lips as he picked her up from her waitress shift, and Kate could feel the awfulness of the day slowly seeping away. She gave a slight shrug, not knowing quite how she felt. His emerald eyes flashed with concern, and he immediately wrapped his arms around her, surrounding her with warmth.

“Thank you,” she murmured as he pulled away and started the car. As they merged with the traffic, his eyes flickered to where she sat; her legs pulled up on the seat, her chin resting on her knees. The blue numbers of the dashboard on the clock illuminated her features, casting shadows on her wistful expression. How she was comfortable he couldn’t fathom, the seatbelt looked like it was choking her.

“For what?”

“For just being here, and not giving up on me. And for loving me.” She didn’t meet his eyes, instead, she watched the buildings and people on the sidewalk blur past in streaks of rainbow colors. He didn’t push it, just allowed the soft humming of the radio to fill the vehicle. There was a comfortable silence as he reached across the center console, tangling his fingers with hers.

He pulled into his apartment’s parking garage, and as the hissing of the engine died down, he turned to her. He still held her hand, and she looked at him curiously, wondering why they weren’t heading to the lobby. He gave her a lopsided smile, a piece of his golden locks caressed his eyelid. Kate looked down at her lap, gnawing lightly on her plush bottom lip.

“Do you wanna talk about it, before we meet the guys and mayhem ensues?” he asked gently, taking on a light tone for her sake. She glanced up at him through thick ebony eyelashes, her internal debate plastered on her features. She shook her head, then slowly changed to nodding, her dark locks shadowing half her face.

“A kid was hitting on me at the high school. It was just stupid adolescent stuff, but it bothered me. I want so badly to get through to him with the literature, but he won’t knock off the stupid games in front of his friends,” she mumbled. Kendall raised a caterpillar eyebrow, tilting his head to the side.

“Do you want me to kick his ass? He was hitting on my girlfriend,” he suggested, an almost hopeful note in his voice. Kate’s mouth dropped, and she smacked him on the arm playfully.

“You will do no such thing, because we’re both mature adults,” she said sternly, holding her gaze with his. He laughed, bringing her hand to his lips, kissing it softly.

“Okay, whatever makes you happy. Are you gonna be okay?” His jade eyes smoldered into her tawny ones, and she gave a small grin. It was reassuring to her that he cared so much.

“I’ll be fine. I can handle it,” she assured him, and he leaned over the center console, placing his lips gently on hers.

“C’mon, we should get up there before the guys come looking for us,” Kendall said grudgingly, breaking the kiss. Kate pouted; giving her eyes a slight roll.

“They wouldn’t do that.”

“Yes they would. They’ve missed you. Carlos wouldn’t talk to me for a week, and all of them called me an idiot.” Kate tried to hide the giggles that gushed from her now-beaming lips.

“You kinda were,” she laughed, crinkling her nose, and his eyes widened at her, feigning hurt. Then, she saw a mischievous glint go through his eyes, and she squeaked, jumping out of the car. He chased her all the way through the lobby and to the elevator, and people were staring after them. As she set her first foot into the elevator, she hit her palm against her head, realizing she’d trapped herself.

“Now I got you,” Kendall said, trying to act menacingly. It only made Kate chuckle, though.

“I’m not afraid of you,” she snickered as the shining metal doors closed, and their ascent began. He pulled her close, his arms around her waist. She watched him, an eyebrow raised, waiting for his response. He kissed her forehead lightly, resting his cheek against the top of her head.

“You’re right, I love you too much to be scary.”

“Nah, you’re just a wuss,” she teased, and he started tickling her sides. She shrieked, hysterical laughs bursting out of her mouth.

“Take it back,” He demanded, his hands grazing her stomach.

“N-never,” she stammered between giggles, and he shrugged.

“Have it your way.” The elevator door dinged and burst open, and he threw her over his shoulder, running to the apartment. The door opened, and three sets of bemused brown eyes stared at them. Kendall set Kate down, and she landed on the plush beige carpet with a thud. She rubbed her lower back, glaring up at Kendall, who just grinned.

“Kate!” Carlos screamed, finally processing what was going on. James and Logan echoed his cry, all three of them helping her to her feet and locking her in a tight embrace.

“We missed you so much,” Logan said.

“Even I missed you, Poodle,” James admitted.

“Guys, I missed you too, but I can’t breathe,” she choked out, and they all mumbled versions of ‘oops’ and released her. She smiled up at all of them.

“It’s so nice to see you, Kate,” Carlos said, and Kate nodded.

“Why didn’t any of you call me? Or text me? You know, you missed my birthday,” she said, her voice wavering slightly. A wounded look flashed through her watery golden eyes, and the boys looked at their feet, remorseful.

“Kate, we’re so sorry,” Carlos said sincerely, meeting her eyes with pleading chocolate ones.

“It was just weird for us, too,” James mumbled, scuffing his toe against the floor.

“We didn’t know what to do. We love you, but we love Kendall too, and we were stuck,” Logan whispered apologetically. Kate nodded, offering a half smile.

“Well, it’s over now. How about you make it up to me by putting in a movie and ordering some pizza?” Their eyes all shot up, and grins made their way across the boys’ faces.

“Sounds fair,” James said casually, then rushed the phone.

“Same drink as always?” Carlos asked, looking over his shoulder as he ran to the adjoined kitchen.

“I’ll go find a movie!” Logan scrambled to the box, and Kate watched the three, holding back a chuckle. She felt a set of arms wrap around her from behind as everyone else evaporated.

“They really do love you,” Kendall murmured in her ear, resting his chin on her shoulder. Kate nodded, taking his hand and finding their spot on the loveseat. As the lights were dimmed and pizza devoured, it felt as if no time had passed. Kate wore a smile the whole time, knowing that it would always be like this. No matter what happened or how many weeks went by, they would always be able to get back to this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this chapter a lot better than the last one. What do you think?

So, she's reunited with the guys! And it was totally okay! Haha.

Thank you for all the support so far, you guys rock.

xxxo, Sara