‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Surprises

“Do I have to?” Kendall asked hesitantly, looking down at the strip of black silk Kate was holding in front of him. It had been nearly a week since she had reunited with her boys, and she was grinning madly up at him.

“Absolutely. I told you, it’s a surprise,” she said matter-of-factly, waving the smooth material.

“Can’t I just shut my eyes really tight?” he inquired hopefully, and Kate giggled, raising her eyebrows.

“What do you think?” His face fell, and he groaned, snatching the cloth from her hands.

“For heaven’s sake, it’s my 22nd birthday, mind you, and here I am, taking orders,” he mumbled as she knotted the black strip. She grabbed his hand, leading him carefully to the car. Once they were buckled in, the humming of the engine started. Kate pulled out of the parking garage, turning on to the streets. The darkness was creeping up on the city, which was illuminated by the billboards and tall buildings, not that Kendall could see it.

“Did we just take a left?” he asked, whipping his head around in vain. Kate rolled her golden eyes, checking the intersection before proceeding.

“Just relax and let me surprise you,” she teased, biting down her smile as she noticed his bottom lip jutting out in a dramatic pout. His arms were crossed over his soft flannel shirt, and he was tapping his fingers against the center console.

“Can I at least have a hint?”

“No. Give it up, Schmidt, I’m not one to give in so easily.” She brushed a coffee-ground curl away from her face, pulling into a driveway.

“Are we here already?” His head perked up, sandy hair protruding from under the blindfold. As Kate turned the car off, she chuckled, tracing his jawbone with her fingertip.

“You’ve exceeded your questions for the night; really the rest of the year.” She opened the door, then walked around to help Kendall. She linked her arm with his, and he cautiously followed her up the jagged stone paved path. When they reached the small building, Kate saw three familiar faces smirking from the front window, trying to cover their laughter. With her free hand, she held a finger to her lip, and they nodded, opening the door for her.

“Happy birthday, love,” she whispered, giving Kendall a quick peck on the lips before ripping the silky material off of his jade eyes. He blinked a few times, adjusting to the light.

“Happy birthday!” everyone chorused, and Kendall looked around in awe. They were in his parents’ living room, which was adorned streamers, balloons, and banners. His wide eyes fell upon his parents, brothers, friends, and family. Naturally, Carlos, Logan, and James were front and center, and Jesse and Jay stood off to a side, grinning. There was a table set aside with drinks and food, and another graced with beautifully wrapped boxes and colored envelopes.

“What did you do?” he asked softly, gazing down to Kate, whose arm was securely around him. She opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off.

“Don’t let her tell you she didn’t do anything. The girl planned the entire thing with your mom,” Carlos said, grinning at Kate, who was scowling back.

“Thank you,” he whispered, kissing the top of her head. Then, he walked over to where his mom stood, engulfing her in an embrace.

“Thanks, Mom. I love you,” he murmured, kissing her cheek softly. Then, he returned to the front of the room, beaming at all of his loved ones.

“So, let’s get this party started!” James cheered, turning on the stereo. People were dancing, eating, and mingling around. Kendall had no idea how they had managed to pull this off, right under his nose. Every time his eyes met Kate’s, he knew he was blessed.

“Dude, it’s your party bro, come dance!” his brother, Kevin cheered, pulling him up from the soft, mocha textile couch, away from Kate, and into a conga line. He looked at her, making sure she was okay, but she was laughing hysterically as they marched around. With her blessing, he went crazy with his friends and brothers, trailing around the whole first floor of the house.

When it was done, he searched for Kate around the kitchen and living room. He spotted her cascading curls next to his parents. He stood back, watching as his dad told a joke, which most likely wasn’t all that funny. Yet, Kate crinkled her nose, tossing her head back as she giggled. He watched the way she smiled as his mom pulled her into a hug. She really was something special.

“Sorry, guys, mind if I steal her away for a minute?” he asked as he strolled over. His parents grinned up at him as he joined the circle, draping his arm around Kate’s scrawny shoulder. She looked up at him, her eyes a sparkling gold, her smile melting his heart.

“Go right ahead,” his mom said sweetly, giving Kendall a peck on the cheek and Kate another hug. She started to walk away, but turned, waiting for her husband.

“Just make sure to bring her back,” his dad directed, patting Kendall’s shoulder, then giving Kate a warm half-hug.

“I don’t know, it is my birthday,” he teased, leading to his dad’s deep laugh. Kendall steered Kate towards the kitchen and after that, the back door. As soon as they stepped into the cool November air, it was quieter. Although the laughing and music was still audible, it was more muted under the endless starry sky.

“Thank you, for all of this,” he said, leading her down the path through the garden. She nuzzled her head against his shoulder, snaking her thin arm around his waist.

“You already said that,” she pointed out. They came to a stop at a stone bench and sat down. Kate closed her eyes, cuddling closer and taking in his scent. Kendall rested his cheek on the top of her curls, the smell of her citrus shampoo filling his nostrils.

“They really love you, you know,” he said after awhile, turning his gaze to the crescent moon. Kate looked up at him under her long eyelashes, the moonlight reflecting off of her hazel irises.

“I love them too. They’re like family,” she whispered, giving a small smile.

“I might love you too,” he said after another small pause. He saw her nose wrinkle up as she tried not to smile.

“Really? What a coincidence, cause I maybe love you,” she teased. He pulled her closer, and the quick motion almost sent both of them tumbling over. Kate let out a shriek, which eventually turned to steady laughter. Kendall joined in, his grin filling his whole face.

“Look, a shooting star. You should make a wish,” Kate said, nudging him with her elbow. He pondered it for a moment, watching the white tail of the falling star streak across the midnight blue sky.

“I don’t know. I’m pretty lucky as is. Asking for any more may be selfish.” He grabbed Kate’s hand and kissed it as the words left his mouth, and she felt the rose color flush over her cheekbones.

“Oh yeah?” she asked, her eyes following the ants making their way to the sparkling dewy green grass.

“Well, I have a great family, great friends, a great job, an amazing girlfriend who happens to just maybe love me,” he shot her a teasing glance, and she shoved him playfully. He responded by wrapping his strong arms around her, pulling her onto his lap. The just sat completely still, the ruckus from the party drifting to their ears. None of it mattered though, as green eyes met gold ones.

“You are kinda lucky,” she agreed, her arms tangling around his neck, twisting pieces of tawny hair between her fingers. He gave a lopsided grin, brushing a stray strand of near black hair away from her face.

“You’re my every wish come true, Katherine Hope Williams.” Her eyes misted over a bit, and he cradled her face with one warm, callused hand, pressing his lips to hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry It took a bit to get out. Not sure when I'll update next, but hopefully soon.

We finally had interaction with his parents! It was mentioned before, in Promise Me This, if anyone remembers, but now we actually see it, and I use see lightly, seeing as it's more of a reading-in-your-head thing.

Sorry, I'm rambling again.

xxxo, Sara