‹ Prequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete.

After All This Time

Introductions

“Kendall, are you being one hundred percent serious?” Kate asked, her golden eyes boring into his jade ones. His grin increased, a small dimple etching it’s way onto his cheek.

“Of course I am. I mean, we’re playing in Maine, I figured it might be nice for you to go back for a weekend,” he explained, giving his shoulders a shrug. She threw her arms around him, her face a mix of various emotions he had yet to decipher.

“You’re really great, you know that?” she whispered, pecking his lips. He brushed some crazed curls away from her ecstatic face, sharing her joy.

“Go pack, okay? I have to go do the same.”

“What about work? I have to call and let Dean know I won’t be able to take the morning shift on Saturday,” she realized, her mind already turning into a frenzied ‘to-do’ list.

“I’ve taken care of it all. The only thing you have to do is get on a plane with me and the guys tomorrow night.” She paused, looking at him incredulously.

“Thank you.” He nodded, pulling her close and pressing their lips together gently.

“Now go pack,” he whispered as they pulled apart, and she rolled her eyes, but sprinted down the hallway to her room nonetheless. Kendall chuckled to himself, heading to the worn oak door.

“I love you,” Kate called, hearing the familiar creaky hinge opening.

“I love you too, Kate,” he called back, closing the door softly behind him.

***


“We really have to go,” Kendall said, leaning against the same door frame less than twenty-four hours later. Kate stood looking at her suitcase, her eyes pressed close as her lips moved silently. Kendall knew the air whisking out of them was her list of what had been packed.

“What am I forgetting?” she mumbled, her head whipping around the small living room. Kendall sighed, rubbing the back of his neck as his eyes shot to the black and white clock hanging on the wall. They had to leave in less than a minute.

“You have everything, Kate, I promise. But if we don’t leave, like, now, the plane’s gonna leave without us.”

“Okay, okay, I get it. Let’s go,” she said finally, picking up her suitcase. It rolled behind them, clanking down the stairs, but she could hardly hear it over the beating of her heart. In a few hours, she would be back in a place where so much of her life had unfolded. She didn’t know whether or not it was still ‘home’ to her. When they arrived at the terminal, the others were already there, watching anxiously.

“You’re late,” Carlos accused, rushing over and grabbing Kate’s bag. He then sprinted over to get it checked in, along with Kendall’s things. Kate and Kendall rushed after them, going through security and all of the routines.

Before they could board, James set off the metal detector twice, Carlos ran into a security guard, and Logan almost lost his ticket. Kate was amazed they even made it onto the plane afterward. She held Kendall’s hand tightly as he wove through the crowd. Her jaw dropped as they entered the first class cabin.

“I didn’t have to sit here,” she objected, but Kendall just smiled.

“It’s really because we all wanted to sit together, and James is too much of a diva to fly coach,” he joked semi-quietly. Carlos and Logan laughed, but an audible protest escaped James’ lips.

“I’m not a diva. I just figure, why get kicked in the back the whole way?”

“Fair enough,” Kate said, giving him a half hug. They piled into a row, Kendall at the window, Kate beside him and Carlos next to her. Logan and James sat behind them, and by the time they were taking off, Kate heard the muted snoring surrounding her.

Kendall’s blond head was against the window, his eyelids closed, his steady breathing filling Kate’s ears. It made her smile, seeing how peaceful he looked. Carlos was nearly falling into the aisle, his slightly parted lips emitting soft snores. Logan was near identical to Kendall, only his lips moved as he muttered to himself. Somehow, she knew the others would give him hell if they found out what his subconscious was saying. James sat alone, his headphones securely in his ears, his eyes looking at the rounded top of the plane.

As soon as she was able, Kate carefully got up, trying not to wake anyone. She nearly fell on top of Carlos, but luckily, the crisis was averted. Finally, she plopped down in the empty aisle seat next to James. His eyes shot up, and he tugged at one of the chords, a white ear bud falling to his lap.

“So, we haven’t talked in awhile,” Kate stated quietly. An amused grin lit up James’ face as he waited for her to go on. “So, who’s the girl?”

“What makes you think there’s a girl?” he shot back quickly, his sharp tone making Logan stir. Kate raised her eyebrows, silently scolding him. He mumbled an apology under his breath.

“Well, you’ve been attached to your phone 24/7, you haven’t shot me any insults since I got here, and you’re blushing considerably right now.” She wore a smug expression as the tan boy turned a crimson color.

“I met her a few months ago. I like her, Kate,” he admitted, wringing his hands together. Kate smiled sympathetically, her hand landing on his shoulder.

“Go after her. I mean, you’re James freaking Maslow.” He let out a small laugh, shaking his head.

“Everyone thinks I’m this huge ladies man, but Kate, this girl scares me to death.”
“Well, I like her already.”

“Kate, I’m being serious.”

“So am I. Look, James, if you like her, let her know. You’ll regret it, if you miss your chance. When we get back, bring her flowers, or something. Just a small gesture.”

“Thanks, Kate,” he whispered, ruffling her curls. She glared as she ran her fingers through them, trying her best to lay them flat. A silence filled the air, broken only by the whir of the engine and the others’ loud breathing.

“I’m scared, James,” Kate murmured, so softly she almost thought he didn’t hear.

“Why?” he whispered back, his hazel eyes flickering over her face.

“Because, I don’t know what to think anymore. This is my hometown, but I don’t know if it’s still home. There are so many memories wrapped up in it, things that I’ve been able to avoid since I left.”

“Well, we’re going to be here for you. Just remember, you’ll always have a home with us.” Kate smiled, twisting the ends of her hair between her thumb and index finger. They sat a few more moments before she climbed back next to Kendall, allowing her own eyelids to droop shut.

***


“Well, that’s the house I grew up in,” Kate said, pointing at the structure. It was a two-story house, build of red and brown bricks; there was a garden parallel to the pathway, which lead up to a beautiful porch, complete with a swing. He could see, hear, and smell the steely sea right behind it. Kendall watched as Kate drove past, not bothering to turn her head. He knew she wasn’t ready to deal with that yet. As the ride continued, she pointed out the school, parks, and places she used to hang out, but they never slowed down.

“Where are we going?” Kendall asked from the passenger seat of the rental car. Kate smiled, her hands gripping the wheel tightly as they passed through the streets of Kennebunkport, the town of Kate’s childhood. She gnawed on her lip, watching the road intently.

“There are people I think you should meet,” she said over the wind gushing in the rolled down windows. Kendall didn’t understand until they pulled to the curb beside a fenced in area. The black metal gate was curved and eerie, but matched the spiked fence to a ‘T’. They passed along rows of raised stones, flowers lying beside them. Kate had a bouquet of her own clenched tightly in her fingers as they strolled through the brown grass.

“Kate, is this…?” Kendall never finished, for Kate stopped suddenly. Before her were two marble tombstones, engraved with two names: Audrey Maria Williams and Ethan Michael Williams. Kate set the flowers between the two, clearing her throat. Kendall reached for her hand, squeezing it gently.

“Mom, Dad, I know I haven’t visited in awhile, and I’m so sorry. I wasn’t okay for awhile, but I am now. Jesse’s doing great, he’s married, and gonna be a dad. You’d be so proud, and you’d love Jay, she’s amazing. But um, there’s someone here with me I’d like you to meet.

“His name is Kendall. He’s really great, you know, so don’t be worried. Dad, Jesse’s done enough scaring for both of you.” Kendall watched Kate’s eyes gloss over, and knew she was rambling. She only rambled like that when she was really nervous.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t meet you a different way, but I love your daughter. I’ll take care of her, I promise.” Kendall’s voice rang out clear, and Kate looked up at him, giving a weak smile. He wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close.

“I miss you guys so much. But I love you, and I know you’re here with me. Always.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, we have a sweet moment between James and Kate, and we have a touching moment there at the end. What are your thoughts on it?

I'm not quite sure when I can get the next chapter out, I have a kinda busy weekend ahead of me. But I'll do my best, Kay? Cause you guys rock(:

xxxo, Sara