Status: A work in progress

True Bliss

Chapter 4: Angels in Disguise

The mayor was giving a speech in front of his office building on the top stairs. As it neared its end, the press, who were sitting in chairs below, started asking questions.

“Mayor!” a female said from near the front. “What are your plans for the future? How will you handle the problems you did not address in your speech?”

“Well,” he said, “I am working on them one at a time. I assure you that I do have ideas to help deal with these problems, but I am unable to share them at this time.”

Jackson and Michayla were in the back of the crowd.

“I believe it's time,” Michayla said. “Let's go show him that ghosts do exist.”

Jackson nodded and smiled at her. They slowly made their way up to the front.

“What are your plans on reducing crime rate?” someone asked.

“Well, as I promised before I have an idea-”

“How good are your promises?” Jackson asked, his voice amplifying so all could hear him.

Everyone turned to face him and Michayla.

The mayor's jaw dropped as he stared at both of them.

“Do you recognize us?” Jackson asked. “Do you remember who we are? More importantly, do you remember what you did to us? How did such a criminal like yourself become mayor?”

Everyone started talking amongst themselves.

Jackson stood up next to him, extending his hand toward Michayla. She took it and they both stood together.

The mayor just stared on, not saying a word.

“Why are you so speechless?” Jackson asked, his voice continuing to be amplified. “You see folks, your mayor is not telling you the truth. He has no plans to reduce crime rate. He couldn't care less. It's all about the shady deals he makes to keep criminals on the streets. It's how he makes a profit.”

“Do you have any proof to back up your claims?” someone in the crowd asked.

“Why it's simple! Just look at him! Ever since he laid eyes upon us, he's been speechless. If he was not guilty, he would be able to defend himself right now.”

“What did he ever do to you?” the same person asked again.

Michayla grabbed Jackson's arm and shook her head.

Jackson smiled and nodded at her. “Don't worry, I wont tell them.”

“I think this has gone a little too far,” Michayla said. “If they get curious they could easily discover the truth.”

“The truth? They will have a hard time proving the truth. Don't worry about it. I won't tell them anything.”

“I have had enough of this!” the mayor said finally. “Arrest these two!”

Jackson and Michayla looked around at the police who were standing off to the side. They both came at them.

“I think we should run now,” Jackson said.

“I think you may be right for once," Michayla agreed.

They quickly ran off into the streets.

“Whatever you do, don't come back until you find them!” the mayor yelled.

“I don't think those two chasing us are going to go back for a while,” Jackson said to Michayla.

She laughed. “Me neither. So do you think we should come back to see the mayor again?”

“Most definitely,” Jackson replied. “We have to have more visits like that again.”

They ran into an abandoned alley.

“You ready for this?” Jackson questioned.

“You sure this will work?” Michayla asked. “We have only ever done this in heaven.”

“Only one way to find out!”

Michayla and Jackson embraced, wrapping their wings around each other. When they unwrapped their wings, they found themselves on top of a building.

“Welcome to the top of the Sears tower,” Jackson said. “Hopefully no one spots us up here.”

“How long do you want to wait up here?” Michayla asked.

“I was thinking until nightfall. Then we can pay our old friend a visit again,” Jackson told her. “In the meantime, we can either sit here and wait or go fly around and have some fun.”

Michayla laughed. “What happened to being observant?”

“I suppose you are right. There will be time for fun later. Let's help out some people while we wait in the meantime. We can meet back here at sunset.”

“I bet you any money that I help more people than you,” Michayla challenged.

Jackson laughed. “Bring it on, Michayla. You'll soon be disappointed.”

“No, my dear. It will be you who will be disappointed,” Michayla said.

They hugged each other and with a kiss they both quickly departed.

Jackson walked along the streets quickly and quietly, keeping a special eye out for those in need.

He noticed most people seemed to be off in a huge hurry, going on with their busy lives. If only they could understand that they should slow down and take an extra look at things again...

Suddenly a women in front of him who was caring a suitcase tripped and fell. The suitcase opened and everything fell out.

She cursed and quickly tried to stuff it all back in.

“Let me help you,” Jackson said, kneeling down next to her. He helped her pick her stuff up.

They quickly picked everything up and the women stood. “Um, thanks,” she said as she quickly hurried off.

Jackson smiled, not caring that she barely acknowledged him. At least he did something other than walk by.

On the far side of town, Michayla had already helped out several people. She pulled someone back from the road as a car was driving by at dangerous speeds. She also prevented someone from falling over flat on their face.

As she walked along feeling pleased that she was helping people, she noticed an old lady struggling to cross the street. She immediately ran over to her.

“Let me help you,” Michayla said, grabbing her hand.

They both slowly walked across the street together. They ignored the impatient people in the cars and slowly walked together to the other side.

When they reached the other side, the old lady had tears in her eyes. “Bless your heart. Thank you so much.”

“Anytime,” Michayla replied.

“You truly are an angel in disguise,” she said.

Michayla could not help but smile when she said that. She gave the old lady a hug and they went their separate ways.

Jackson found himself in a more secluded part of town. It was nearly sunset and he knew he would be meeting up with Michayla back at the tower soon.

As he walked along the street, a strange emotion came over him. He suddenly realized where he was and where he was heading.

He saw Michayla in the distance. They both spotted each other and slowly walked toward one another.

When they met up, they both looked down. They immediately felt a wave of emotion as tears streamed down their faces.

They embraced each other for a long time.

“Would you like to finish it out?” Jackson asked.

“Sure,” Michayla said.

They both started walking arm in arm toward Michayla's old house.

“Wonder who lives in it now...” Jackson said.

“We'll soon find out, won't we,” Michayla told him.

They headed toward a rather average sized house on the corner of the street. It was in better shape than it was a year ago.

“Someone painted it,” Michayla said. “Looks lovely.”

They went up to the window and peered inside. They noticed two young people sitting on the couch watching T.V. They seemed to be talking more than watching whatever was on.

“I can tell they really love each other,” Jackson said.

Michayla nodded. “Indeed. I am glad they found the house. Hopefully, they live a long happy life together.”

They lingered there for a moment, watching the two play around and laugh and have a wonderful time. Eventually they turned off the T.V. and they slowly ascended the stairs with each other in their arms.

“I think it's time for us to go,” Jackson said. “I believe the mayor is long overdue a visit.”

“Yes, I think so as well,” Michayla said.

Jackson and Michayla embraced and wrapped their wings around each other.

The mayor's office was empty.

“He'll be back soon,” Jackson said, noticing the fresh cup of coffee on his desk.

“Well, let's take a look around.”

Jackson nodded his head and they headed toward his desk. They found a newspaper dated January 13th, 2001. The headline read “Couple Murdered in the Streets.”

“Someones got a guilty conscience,” Michayla said.

“Wouldn't you if you saw the two people you killed walk up to you in broad daylight and tell a whole crowd that you are a criminal?”

“Good point,” Michayla said. “I hear footsteps. I think the mayor is coming.”

Jackson sat in the mayors' chair, Michayla went over to the corner, out of sight.

They smiled at each other, waiting for the door to open.