Status: Complete - spin-offs a possibility

The Crumbling Pyramid

Thirteen

Mikey Way has logged on.

Mikey Way: Hey Frank, you on?

Frank Iero: Yeup.

Ray Toro: Me too.

Mikey Way: Great. How much shit did you guys get in?

Ray Toro: None. You know my mom hates Morrison, and she said it was stupid 'cuz I didn't do anything anyways.

Frank Iero: Lucky bastard. My parents are so mad. Especially that I was fighting.

Ray Toro: How are you online then?

Frank Iero: I snuck out of the house when they left for work and grabbed a computer at the Starbucks down the street.

Ray Toro: What about you Mikey?

Mikey Way: Mom's kinda mad since I broke that asshole's nose, but I'm only grounded until Sunday. I'm on Gerard's computer right now 'cuz she took mine.

Frank Iero: That lucky bastard didn't even get in trouble with the office.

Mikey Way: Yeah. He told mom what really happened, so I think that's why I'm not grounded for life.

Frank Iero: At least your mom is reasonable. My parents believed every word from Morrison and not me.

Ray Toro: Sucks man.

Frank Iero: Yeah. You heard from Anette yet?

Ray Toro: No, but did you see how mad her mom was when she came and got her?

Mikey Way: She was actually kinda scary.

Frank Iero: Yeah. I hope Anette's not like, dead or something.

Ray Toro: Well, I saw her mom leave for work about an hour ago, so I might go over and see how she is.

Mikey Way: Creeper.

Ray Toro: Fuck you man. No, actually, fuck Andrew. This is all his fault.

Frank Iero: Do you guys know how hard it is to get mayo out of your hair, let alone your clothes? I think I went though half a bottle of shampoo trying to get that shit out.

Mikey Way: That sucks. So I guess this means you won't be at band practice?

Frank Iero: Not at all man. Probably not for a while, even. They didn't say when I can go out again.

Ray Toro: Can't you just sneak out? I could pick you up.

Frank Iero: My dad threatened to lock my windows if he caught me sneaking out, so unless we have practice at night or when they're at work, I'm not gonna risk him taking everything I own.

Mikey Way: Damn, you should live with me.

Frank Iero: I wish.

Mikey Way: ...hey guys, I've been thinking a lot today.

Ray Toro: Yeah Mikey?

Frank Iero: Did it hurt?

Mikey Way: Frank, you're such an asshole. No, well, maybe. I think I have a problem.

Ray Toro: ...genius, Mikey. Did you just realize you almost got expelled?

Mikey Way: Not that, it's a different problem.

Frank Iero: Shit, my time's up. I'll try and sneak out again tomorrow, but no promises.

Ray Toro: Don't risk it. Bye.

Frank Iero: Thanks, Mommie Toro.

Mikey Way: Bye Frank.

Frank Iero has logged off.

Ray Toro: Okay Mikey, what's wrong?

Mikey Way: Well, I was thinking a lot last night cuz I couldn't sleep, and I got to thinking about Anette.

Ray Toro: What about her?

Mikey Way: I can't figure out why I hate her.

Ray Toro: That's not a problem, that's good.

Mikey Way: That's not half of it. I mean, I should hate her. She's a prep, right?

Ray Toro: Well... sure. I guess.

Mikey Way: What?

Ray Toro: Nothing. Go on.

Mikey Way: Alright. But Ray, don't tell Frank or Gerard, okay? Especially not Frank, he'll never fucking leave me alone about it.

Ray Toro: Whatever man.

Mikey Way: I started thinking about everything that's happened this year, you know?

Ray Toro: Yeah.

Mikey Way: And I thought about everything I've done, and she's done, and I think I like her.

Ray Toro: ...dude.

Mikey Way: Yeah. I mean... fuck. I don't know if I do or not, but I think I do. I mean, why else would I break Andrew's nose?

Ray Toro: Because he's the world's biggest douche bag?

Mikey Way: Of course, but you remember that night at the theater? And I hit him?

Ray Toro: Yeah, my fucking ribs still hurt sometimes.

Mikey Way: I went after him cuz he had said something about Gerard, and I just kinda went crazy. And I think that's what happened in the lunchroom yesterday. I saw him trying to hurt her, and I snapped.

Ray Toro: We all did.

Mikey Way: I guess. And like, during Grease? You know that drive in scene? Where she and Gerard had to make out?

Ray Toro: Yeah. God damn never have I wanted more to trade places with someone in my life.

Mikey Way: Gross man, I don't want to hear your sick fantasies you have about my brother, 'kay?

Ray Toro: Sorry. Go on.

Mikey Way: Fuck you man, you just got the worst image of you and him in my head.

Ray Toro: Care to share?

Mikey Way: No. Not at all. I'm going to burn my brain instead.

Ray Toro: lmfao

Mikey Way: Anyways, every time I saw them, I got kinda pissy, like I was a jealous little fuck or something.

Ray Toro: Well, she was making out with your brother.

Mikey Way: That's what I told myself at the time. But I think what it really was was it made me mad seeing Gerard's hands all over her.

Ray Toro: Okay dude, this is a problem.

Mikey Way: I fucking told you it was. I'm not even supposed to like her.

Ray Toro: Why not? She's nice, and she's pretty for a girl.

Mikey Way: It's not just that. Yeah, she is, but she's also some popular chick, and I'm well... you know.

Ray Toro: We all are. But that's not really your problem.

Mikey Way: What is then, O Great Wise Decepticon?

Ray Toro: You forget that there's this guy named Chase Skyridge who kind of owns her.

Mikey Way: He doesn't own her.

Ray Toro: They're dating and they're fucking, that's pretty close.

Mikey Way: ...oh god they fuck?

Ray Toro: Duh dude. That's like the only reason Chase dates people.

Mikey Way: Alright, so she has a boyfriend and she's popular. That's already two reasons I shouldn’t like her. And number three is I'm pretty sure she doesn't like me.

Ray Toro: Well, you know, maybe if you weren't such an asshole to her all the time she'd like you more.

Mikey Way: But... Ray, this is fucked up.

Ray Toro: Yes, it is. But you know, you can like her still. There's no rule against that.

Mikey Way: I guess.

Ray Toro: Do you even know why you like her?

Mikey Way: ...not at all. That's why it's confusing.

Ray Toro: Alright, well, I'm going to finish my application I'm working on, and you figure out if you like her or not.

Mikey Way: Fine :P

Ray Toro: I'll ttyl.

Ray Toro has logged off


Ray closed his internet window and sighed. It wasn't like he needed another problem to deal with, but here it was. He could already see it - Mikey asking him to set him up with Anette, Ray playing messenger, Ray being that relationship bridge that he always was. Maybe this time he could get Mikey to convince Gerard to hang out with Ray more, because that would be really nice. He hardly ever got any time that was just him and Gerard, alone, doing god knows what...

Ray snapped himself out of his daydream and checked his list for everything he needed to include in the current application he was working on. The School of Music for this college wanted an audition tape, so Ray got his guitar and the recording program on his laptop ready to go. It didn't say thing about whether they wanted original compositions or not, so he recorded quite a bit of music, some of it the songs that the band had been working on, and some that were Ray's personal favorites. He played through some Metallica and Iron Maiden and an original song that Gerard had dubbed, “Our Lady of Sorrows,” and then stopped the recording. After editing it and making sure it was as good as possible, Ray saved the recording and checked off that portion of his list. God, everyone wanted so much crap just to get into a stupid school.

Afterwards, he went downstairs to grab some lunch. His mom would be at work for a while, and she hadn't said anything about not being able to leave, so he slid his shoes on and walked down the block to Anette's house. There was a car outside it that he didn't recognize, and he wondered who could be here. So he just walked up to the front door and knocked on it, hoping that her mom hadn't gotten a new car or that it was Chase's.

Instead, a college-aged woman opened the door. She was wearing sweats and a long sleeve shirt, and had jet black hair, but her eyes were the same shade as Anette's. "Can I help you?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, um, is Anette home?" Ray asked, looking at the floor now.

"She's not allowed to see anyone. She's in trouble," the woman said, narrowing her blue eyes at him.

"Oh. Okay," Ray said, and he turned around.

The door shut, but not before he heard Anette call, "Noel, who was it?" Out the front window, Anette was staring at Ray, a look of misery on her face. She pointed up to the second level and to the left, like she was trying to tell him something. Ray just nodded and walked around to the front left corner, careful not to be seen by Noel. Anette had left the front window, so he couldn't see any more directions. He just stood at the foot of the tree, waiting for something to happen.

Soon enough, Anette's head poked out one of the windows on the second floor. "Ray? What are you doing?" she hissed.

"What's going on, Anette?" Ray asked, trying to keep his voice low.

Anette disappeared, but was back in a moment. "I can't talk Ray. Come back in an hour, and there'll be a note on the ground right below this window," she said before closing the window again. Ray sighed and started walking back towards his house.

An hour later, he came back as sneakily as he could, and did indeed find a note below her window. He stuffed it in his pocket and walked back home to read it in privacy. The note was a little wet from lying in the slushy snow, and some of the ink had run because of it, but he could still read it.

"Ray,

Sorry about that. My sister is pretty much house sitting me.

I'm grounded for goodness knows how long. The only thing that didn't get taken away was theatre, though I'm not sure why. So you won't be able to call me or anything.

I'm so, so sorry I got you and Frank and Mikey in trouble. This is so stupid, if I just hadn't
-" here the words had washed away "-things would be okay. But no, I just had to go being an idiot. Will you please tell them I'm sorry for what happened?

I'm not sure what's going to happen when we get back to school, but you guys should probably
-" Here, he thought it either said "keep away from" or "kill anyone for", but he was pretty sure it was the first one. "-me. I've already messed you lives up enough.

I hope you didn't get into too much trouble and that Mikey and Frank didn't either. That would be terrible.

All respect and love,

Anette
"

Ray read the note a few times, getting a little more concerned for her each time. It sounded like things were going bad for her too, but she was being silly. It wasn't really her fault they were all in trouble, and they certainly weren't going to stay away from her. At least, not Ray, and by the sound of it, Mikey wasn't going to either. He wanted to write her back, but wasn't sure how he would get the note to her. He pictured her house, the window that she had leaned out of (which he assumed lead to her room) and the tree that was right next to it.

The tree. Of course. He would just wait until night and he thought Anette's mom and sister were asleep, climb up the tree, and deliver his note to her. Hopefully he could just push it under the window or something.

The rest of the day, he prepared what he was going to do. He picked out dark clothes and good shoes to climb in, wrote her a reply, and then spent the rest of the time being anxious. He didn't even touch a video game, and scarcely his guitar. When his mom came home and cooked a dinner of amazing burritos, he hardly talked during the meal. He just let him mom unload his worries onto him like everyone else did.

Finally around ten, he thought he might creep over and try. He climbed out his window and started down the block, patting his pocket every few steps to make sure the letter was still there. There was a dim light up in Anette's room, and light in another part of the house. Someone besides her was still awake. He waited about twenty minutes for the light to go out, but it never did. Finally, he decided that because the light was on the other side of the house than the tree, he would be okay to climb it.

It was a lot harder climbing a tree as quietly as you could than Ray had imagined, and it didn't help that he hadn't climbed a tree in ages. He nearly fell twice, losing his footing and slipping on the icy tree, and it was cold as fuck, but he kept going until he reached even with Anette's window.

The branch he was studying went pretty close to her window, but it would be dangerous getting onto it. Slowly, he pulled out the letter and started inching across the branch to her window. Feet... inches... centimeters, and he was there, just at the end of he bend in the branch, about two feet from Anette's window. But then he slipped and had to clutch the branch, losing the letter in the process. He watched it flutter to the ground, and he groaned.

"God damn it," he muttered, not moving from his position on the tree.

"Ray? What are you doing?"

He looked up sharply, almost falling again, and saw Anette looking out her window, wearing nothing but a silky nightdress.

"I was, uh..." He regained himself, mentally cursing the fallen note. "I was trying to deliver my note."

"So you climbed my tree."

"Um, yeah, that's about right," he said, shivering a little.

Anette sighed sadly and said, "You shouldn't be here."

"I know."

"You're freezing."

"Yeup."

"If you're quieter than quiet, you can come in," she said, opening the window as wide as it would go, shivering violently when a blast of cold air flew though the room.

"Through the window? You've got to be kidding me," Ray hissed, gritting his teeth.

"If Chase can do it, so can you," she said, holding out a pale hand to him. "Just grab the ledge with your hands and pull yourself in."

"Okay," he said, and did what she said. She gripped his forearms and helped him in and he scrambled inside, getting tree bark and slush on her carpet. He stood, panting. "Sorry for the mess," he whispered.

"I'll clean it later," she said, closing the window and walking over to lock only one of doors in her walls. "The other one is the bathroom and Terrence's room," she explained, grabbing a pair of sweatpants and pulling them on as she went.

Ray studied the room. It was large and open, with white carpet and light blue walls. She had a huge bed and even a couch in her room, and a bare desk that looked like it used to be home to a computer.

"You said you had a note?" she asked, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"I accidentally dropped it right before you opened the window," he said, picking some bark out of his curly hair. "I'll have to get it before I leave."

"Okay," she said, shaking.

"Anette... um, well, you look kinda terrible," Ray said, trying not to be mean. But it was true - she had no makeup on, not even a trace of her usual pink lipstick, her hair was a bit unkempt, and the sexy-purple-nightdress-and-sweats combination was definitely the weirdest thing she'd ever worn, not to mention she looked a bit sickly.

"I feel terrible," she muttered, putting her head in her hands. "I'm in so much trouble. Even Noel is mad at me."

"Yeah, I kinda got that when she answered the door."

"Mmmhmm." She paused and wiped at her eyes. "So, what did your note say?"

"Just that I'm sorry you're in trouble, but you're being silly. We're not going to stop hanging out with you, and this really wasn't your fault. I'm not in trouble, Mikey kinda is, and Frank... well, he's in a shitton of it, but I'm sure his parents won't be too hard on him," he said optimistically.

"You should though," Anette said. "Stop being around me, anyways. You're ending up on the receiving end of a lot of bad things."

"We always have been," Ray replied. "It's nothing new."

She was silent as she tried to fight more tears. "God, I'm probably not ever going to be able to hang out with Dawn again, or Chase," she finally said, mostly to herself.

"If they're really your friends, it shouldn't matter at all what you did or who does or doesn't like you," Ray said firmly.

Anette smiled at him weakly, but froze when she heard footsteps downstairs. "Ray, go. Go now," she said fearfully, and she helped Ray scramble out her window and back onto the tree. He jumped the last few feet, getting slush in his shoes, grabbed the soaking wet note, and ran as fast as he could down the block, hoping neither he nor Anette would get in trouble for this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Love times a million to Leisha, Taylor and Kayleigh ::arms:

I dunno why, but I'm rather attached to this chapter.