Status: Complete - spin-offs a possibility

The Crumbling Pyramid

Two

“Hey, you finally got it fixed.”

Gerard was standing on his doorstep as Ray got out of his car, pulled out his guitar and locked the car. He pocketed the keys and walked up to the house.

“Yeah, and not a week too soon.”

“Right. I’ve got your amp; you might want to take that home next time.”

“Sorry about that, I’ll take it today.”

“It’s fine, I just don’t want Frank or Mikey to steal it.”

They walked over to Gerard’s open garage, which his parents had allowed him and his brother to convert into a practice space for their very-much-garage band. Frank and Mikey were already there with their instruments. Gerard looked over Ray as Ray set down his guitar to start unpacking it.

“Dude, you still look like shit. But you’re better than Mikey.”

“Well yeah, they kind of went after him more than me,” Ray reasoned.

“And I still think you’re both stupid for trying to fight them.”

“He called you a fuckin’ fag,” Mikey growled.

“Just let them. Getting pounded isn’t going to fix anything, Mikes. Besides, I don’t give a shit what they think about me,” Gerard said, slapping his little brother on the back.

“I do,” Mikey mumbled.

“Can we play some music instead of pissing about assholes like Andrew?” Frank suggested, and that was the end of that conversation.

-

Gerard and Mikey’s mom brought them all sandwiches and water when they took a break from playing. They were all really sweaty and tired, especially Frank, who had a habit of dancing around while he played. But it had been a good run-through of all their music, even if it was blazingly hot for an August afternoon and they were all exhausted by the end of the run.

“Fuck yeah we’re awesome,” Gerard said, holding his sandwich triangle up, toasting the cloud above their heads.

“If by ‘we’ you mean myself, Frank, and Ray, then yeah, we’re awesome,” Mikey said coolly, drinking his water.

“Why aren’t I awesome?” Gerard asked indignantly.

“Because you still think Hellboy is better than Batman,” Mikey replied, sticking his tongue out at his older brother.

“Oh not this again,” Frank moaned, shutting his eyes and shaking his head.

“Fuck yeah I do! Hellboy’s way better than Batman.”

“Batman’s better and you know it. That’s why you’re not cool. Even Frank agrees.”

“Don’t drag me into this, Mikey!”

Frank!

“I think you’re awesome, Gerard,” Ray muttered, turning a delicate shade of crimson, but no one seemed to have heard this except Mikey. The moment of silence that followed was only broken when Mikey made a fake cough.

“So… school in a week… fuck.”

“Yeah,” Gerard said, now downcast, as he finished the last of his sandwich and went for another triangle. “I hope I can graduate – I have no clue what my credit situation is.”

“I thought you made up that math class you failed in summer school?” Frank asked, raising an eyebrow at his friend.

“I did, but… I dunno if it’ll be enough. And if I’ll get accepted into the art school I want. I still need to finish those damn applications.”

“Me too,” said Ray. “Some of these places want loads and loads of paperwork. It’s ridiculous.”

“Plus I’ll have to keep up my grades if I want to audition this year for the musical.” Everyone looked at Gerard, who just sat there in his normal disposition. “What? I’ve wanted to for ages, and I figure this is my last year, so I should just do it.”

“You… on stage… singing and dancing…” Mikey said, slowly starting to laugh as he formed a mental image of Gerard in a leotard belting out the lyrics to some opera.

“Gerard, no offense, but… you can’t dance,” Ray said a bit shyly.

“You’re never gonna make it in,” Frank added bluntly, finishing off his water.

“I don’t wanna make it, I just wanna see what happens,” said Gerard, still in his state of composure. “You don’t know until you try, right?”

“Right,” Ray agreed. “What show is it?”

Grease, I think.”

“Who’s gonna play Sandy?” Mikey asked. “And Danny?” Even as a self-proclaimed “badass,” Mikey had seen that movie many, many times.

“Not me, that’s for sure,” Gerard answered. “But Sandy’s easy – that’ll be Anette Baker, she’s the best damn thespian in the school.”

Mikey’s jaw tightened. “Baker?” He looked at Ray. “Isn’t she that preppy slut from the movie theater?”

Ray rolled his eyes. “Would you give her a rest, Mikey? She helped us, you dumbass. And yes, that’s her.”

“Anette Baker? Blonde, pretty, blue eyes, right?” Frank asked. The other three nodded. Frank shrugged. “Okay. I know her.”

“How?” Mikey asked, momentarily fearing that she had slept with Frank or something.

“I kissed her in kindergarten,” Frank said off-handedly. “And I’ve had quite a few classes with her. She’s pretty smart, but I think she’s got problems reading or something.”

Of course Frank would say something like that. He was the only straight-A out of all of them, the only one who knew how to make shit blow up without lighting it on fire. Of course he would notice if someone had reading problems.

“Great, so we’ll have something to look forward to,” Gerard said a bit sarcastically. “Frank and Anette’s rekindled romance.”

“I don’t think she’d let me kiss her now, but hey, it was kindergarten.”

“Whatever, has anyone gotten their classes for first semester yet?” Mikey asked, desperate for a change in topic.

“Nope – I don’t think we get them until school starts,” said Ray, standing to go put his glass and plate in the kitchen.

“Great,” Mikey said, disappointed. “I want to find out when I have gym. I have to take it this year or else.”

“I thought Mom got you out of that,” Gerard said, shocked and disapproving. “Like, got you a doctor’s note or whatever.”

“She tried. They said it’s required and there’s no way out of the class. I talked to the teacher though and she might let me sit some stuff out if I can’t breathe.”

“Oh yes, let’s let education kill my little brother,” Gerard muttered, and he stood and followed Ray into the house.

Frank stood too. “Personally, I don’t think this year will be that bad,” he stated, and he too walked inside.

Mikey sighed, alone. “And I think it’s going to fucking suck.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you JustALittleGirl for the comment! ::arms:

I'm thinking two chapters a day? Sounds nice xD

~Icamane