Right Where We Belong

Thea

I knew that I couldn't possibly look the same as I had when I had been brought to…wherever I was. My hair had been washed and brushed so that it was almost silky. Why Theodred had lowered himself to help me with that task, I still couldn't understand. After all, it was an intimate thing and even I could feel the tension between us. I couldn't deny that I had enjoyed it though. There had been a kind of pleasure to it that, if I was honest with myself, I wouldn't have minded experiencing again.

I had dressed on my own though. The gown was long and brown. It was actually a darker shade than my own hair and made of a fine material that I had never felt before. The belt around my waist was silver, a gift from Theodred's cousin, Éomer. One that had been meant for a later date. I doubted that the man would mind though. It was more likely his sister would be be upset if she knew about this.

I called out to Theodred as I sat on my bed and smoothed out my skirt. I had seen the healing wound on my shoulder. I was going to scar and I would probably always have trouble with my arm. I couldn't change that fact, but it didn't scare me. Actually I hadn't felt anything when I had seen the healing wound at all. Especially not after the speech that Theodred had given me. I was starting to think of the promise of the scar as a show of honor rather than a terrible deformity. The scar began at my shoulder blade and worked up along my shoulder and up onto my neck. It would be visible unless I wore a turtleneck with sleeves. Here, as far as I could tell, there weren't any turtlenecks.

I was actually very glad about that.

When Theodred came in the room, he stopped dead when he saw me. "M-my lady," he finally managed with a small bow. "You look lovely. I do believe that my men were mistaken when they named you our savior. You must truly be a spirit from beyond the sea."

My face flushed bright red. I was wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but I had an idea and it had me looking down at my bare feet. I couldn't tell him I wasn't that though. Part of me simply didn't want to, especially since I doubted that they believed me. "I wouldn't go that far, but I know how to accept a compliment." I granted unable to stop smiling. I don't remember having ever felt this...well...giddy before. And the biggest part was that I didn't mind feeling giddy at all.

"Come," Theodred said reaching out for my hand. "The men are waiting." I reached out, managing to hold back a grimace more than usually as I stood. It was frightening and exciting all at once. To get to meet the people that I had "saved". That I had become a symbol for.

I still had trouble believing that one.

It was the first time for me to see any of the structure beyond where I had been living and when I had been moved. The area was, in a word, beautiful. It was unlike anything that I had ever seen. The architecture was old-fashioned in my mind, but at the same time, it was different than all others that I had seen or imagined. I loved it. The easiness of my movements that I had forced became natural and easy as a quiet whisper of noise began growing louder and I relaxed and tensed at the same time.

A hush fell over the room as Theodred entered with me on his arm. "Rohirrim, Riders of the Eastmark, I present to your-our champion and spirit, Lady Thea." The noise that swelled all at once, washed over me like a wave. Usually it would have been terrifying, but instead…I found it exhilarating. Even without my sisters near me. Even as surrounded by strangers as I was...

I felt like I was home.