Right Where We Belong

Annie

"Are you ready?" Aragorn asked holding his sword in front of him.

I glared at the ranger and picked up my sword from where it lay on the ground. I had been training with Aragorn every day for the last few days and it was taking its toll. He was a hard taskmaster, but I refused to back down. I faced him again and readied myself for the next assault. I lasted a little longer this time as I did each time. I still ended up with Aragorn's sword at my neck and my own on the ground.

"Good," Aragorn nodded approvingly as he sheathed his sword.

"Says the man who has yet to fall on his backside," I growled.

Aragorn held his hand out to me. I glared at it a moment before accepting it and gaining his aid in regaining my feet. "You are improving greatly Annie," Aragorn assured me as I brushed dirt off my legs. "But you push yourself harder than you must. Why?"

"Because I must," I growled. Silence stretched between us hard and awkward. I broke it first though. "I know that I could never beat you in a fist fight even if you keep training me. But could I beat Boromir?"

Aragorn looked at me curiously. "Why would you ask that? You do not need to fight him."

"Answer the question," I snapped.

Aragorn stared at me sternly and I scowled back at him. It was a question if either of us would yield. We were both strong personalities. We were both leaders. It produced many clashes of wills. It didn't help my pride that he was a better fighter. I almost wanted to return to the other world. At least there I didn't feel incompetent. But my pride could never be wounded enough to make me go back there. There would have to be another reason first.

"It would be an interesting battle." It wasn't Aragorn who answered this time. Instead I found my answer from one of the natives. I turned and gave the tall blonde (what was it with all these damn blondes!) a hard look even as I nodded. That was a good enough answer for me.

"Haldir right?" I asked arching my eyebrow in question. He arched his own in reply clearly curious as to what I could possibly have to say to him. "You owe me a fight one of these days. Why don't you hunt me down when you're man enough to go through with it." The look of shock on his face was almost as good as seeing it on Pretty Boy's. I turned on my heel after giving Aragorn a mock salute and started to walk back towards the camp.

As soon as I was away from the men, I was thinking about Jamie and Boromir. It would be so much easier just to kill Boromir and have done with it. Or challenge him to a duel. I could manage that I had no doubt. The only problem was Jamie. Jamie would never forgive me if I did something to "her warrior". And I couldn't have that. My sister meant far too much to me. I was just going to have to find another way to deal with Boromir (which is a weird name in the first place. It would figure that Jamie would choose a guy with a name like that).

I was just going to make sure Boromir knew who and what he was dealing with. I was going to take pleasure in that even if I did lose. I knew it already. Of course I had this feeling I wouldn't lose. The man just didn't seem like the type who could bring himself to hit a woman for any reason. That worked to my advantage. With that thought, I was steering my thoughts towards where I might find Boromir. Of course, there was just one slight setback. That took place in the form of pretty boy. He stepped in front of me blocking my passage. I glared up at him with all my might knowing that I could muster up a pretty decent death glare. "Get out of my way," I growled.

"I would like to speak with you Annieā€¦if you have the time." Pretty boy asked with his usual calm, cool look. God the man made me sick! Men are not supposed to look that pretty or be that unaffected by glares and taunts!

"I do not have the time," I said shoving at his chest. He was barely rocked by it and that annoyed me even more. Stupid elf. Stupid pretty boy elf. He was intentionally trying to distract me from my task. Being around him frequently infuriated me. One of these days I was going to have to do something about it. Apparently that day was today.

"But I believe you do have time. Aragorn is through with your lessons for the day is he not?" Pretty boy pointed out. My eyes narrowed. He was in for it now.

He was so calm and unperturbed by me. The jerk. Why was he not withering under the glare? "Look, just because I'm done with lessons doesn't mean that I don't have something to do. And currently, you're standing in the way of my goal."

Legolas chuckled softly. "Sometimes, one must be distracted from their goal before they can truly find what they are looking for."

"I don't need your elven mumbo-jumbo okay! Get the hell out of my way!" I yelled. People all around froze and stared at me. It was embarrassing though I couldn't admit that. I refused to let myself to ever turn red or to admit defeat. I turned my back stiffly and walked away with pride. I could deal with Boromir later.

As I walked away, I could hear his laughter ringing after me.

Bastard.