Right Where We Belong

Annie

My mind was working a million miles a minute as I walked along without saying a word. Something was wrong. Something was seriously wrong as hell. A man had faced a creature make of darkness and fire and gone down into an abyss of darkness. I had seen it, but I didn't want to believe it was real. But if it wasn't real, what was it? My imagination wasn't that good. It left me with an option that I didn't want to face at all. I just had to find something else that could make sense.

Looking round me, all but one of them seemed so weary. It was as if they were longing to just lie down and sleep for days. I wouldn't object. It would give me an excuse to keep going on my own. I didn't trust me. The only problem would be the pretty boy. I had a feeling he wouldn't be willing to just let me run off while the others slept. I shot him a withering look that was met by confusion as his eyes swept my way. I didn't allow myself to grin in reply until I had looked away and felt his eyes move on to something else.

Light began to emerge before us and I joined in a collective sigh of relief. I had been in the dark for long enough. I lifted my head to the sky as the rocky roof gave way to a clear blue sky. It was bright, but I forced my eyes to remain open even as they watered against the bright light of the sky. I took a deep breath and lowered my head so I could look around me feeling a hint of guilt at the grief so evident around me. They were upset. I was happy. Maybe now was time to sneak away.

Unfortunately, I had been right.

It was the blonde bastard who stopped me.

Even as I had started to move away, he grabbed my arm. I spun and gave him a dark glare. "This place is dangerous," he murmured. "You should not be alone." Was that supposed to mean something to me?

The scowl replaced any hint of a smile that might have remained on my face and erased all the embarrassment I felt. "You know what. You guys have your fun or whatever it is here and I have my responsibilities elsewhere. Now let me go or I can kick your ass."

His confusion was clear and that just annoyed me that much more. I brought my foot up and slammed it down on what should have been his instep. I instead found his knee behind mine a moment before I was falling and landed hard on my back. The wind flew from my lungs and my ears started ringing. I could hear voices around me as the others spoke. Only one voice clearly made it through the haze.

"Leave them a moment!" It ordered. "Give them a rest!"

God who cared? Couldn't he lower his voice? It reverberated around my mind. If I wasn't busy groaning, I would have been growling. I just wanted it to stop. I finally managed to push myself up and glare at the whole spectrum of them. "Really?" I snapped. "Really? Will you all just shut up! Unless you would like to sleep outside of hell's door, I would advise, you get your asses up right now and leave."

I rubbed my head grateful for the silence before I looked up and saw more confusion. "What? You guys seem so convinced that this is all a game why are you sticking around and mourning another character."

Fury quickly replaced the face of one of the dark haired man. He pushed through two of the people in front of him until he was standing over me. "Don't you da-" I was cut off as he did exactly what I told him not to, pulling me up by my wrists and shaking me.

"Think you this is a game!" he snapped in fury. "A man just gave his life and you dare to jest!"

I shoved him away, my scowl darkening. "Who cares what I do think?" I snapped in return. "Touch me again and I swear to God it will be the last thing that you do." I stepped away and turned my eyes towards the other men in the party who stood staring silently at me and their companion. "Well?" I snapped. "Are you guys coming or not?"