Status: running strong as long as I get feedback that you like it.

Lose Track of Reason to Believe in Nothing

You're Safe from the Weight of the World

And that was the extent of it. Melanie’s mouth had to have been open wide enough to catch flies, but before she could think of a comeback, Alex had already left the room through the door Melanie had entered, making sure to slam it on the way out.

Melanie shrugged, pretending she was a lot less hurt than she actually was. Completely dumbfounded, she was thankful to see another familiar face. This time, a friendly one.

And who else would it be but Zachary Merrick?

“Well, well, who do we have here?”

“Well,” The brunette replied, plopping down on the chair with her legs across her friend’s lap, “Last time I checked, the name’s Melanie Fischer. But based on Alex’s reaction, you never know..”

Rian snorted, “Seriously. You’d think you kicked his puppy or something.”

“Don’t listen to Alex,” Zack chimed in. “You rock the whole pale thing. Though we should really do that whole summer thing again, I’m pretty sure if you get any paler you’ll glow in the dark.”

“Yeah,” Melanie agreed. Although she initially wasn’t happpy to be back on the subject of the summer she had tried so hard to forget, once they got into it, she realized what good memories it brought back.

“You mean Mel and Alex should do the whole summer thing” Jack quipped, raising his eyebrows with each word. Even when it didn’t make sense.

Melanie blushed, bringing some of that long lost summer color back into her cheeks. Soon, she erupted into a giggle fit.

“Well well well, missy,” Jack started. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you’ve been drinking”

“Well I guess you do know better. Or you don’t? I don’t know. Oh fuck it. Yes I have,” she plopped her head against the arm of the chair, sighing contently.

*

The rest of the night went by in a blur of jokes and obscenity, as per usual. The boys began to pack up, so Melanie finally groaned and sat up. She tried to text her friend, but to no avail.
Finally, she pulled out her phone, and successfully dialed Kelly’s number on around the third or fourth try.

Ring… ring… ring… please don’t leave me here with them please I don’t want a repeat of camp I want to go home Kelly please this has been enough excitement for Melanie ring…ring…ring… this isn’t funny ring…ring…ring “Kelly I swear to god I’ll hunt you down and shove this phone up—“

“Melanie?”

“Kelly? Where are you?

“Approximately two hours away. Why? What’s up?”

“What’s up? What’s UP?!?!?!” Melanie screamed, but soon lowered her voice once she saw the looks she was getting from the boys. “What’s up is that I have no ride home” and if I pull this shit again, these guys are going to think I’m stalking them

“Really? Because you seemed to be having fun backstage.”

“Wait you were there too?... Kelly Marie Parker, did you leave with a band guy?”

After some giggles from the other side, the line went dead.

Fucking Kelly,” Melanie cursed under her breath, but apparently not quietly enough.

Soon enough, her plans for walking home were foiled, as she found herself sandwiched between Alex and Jack in the backseat of Rian’s car.

Looking back and forth between Jack and Alex, Melanie turned to the Alex, “I’m sorry, am I cockblocking you?”

Jack gave her a high five, and Melanie gave herself an imaginary pat on the back for finally having a comeback. But if looks could kill, Melanie would be dead. Cause of death: Alex’s glare.

“You sure you don’t want to grab some food with us?” Rian asked

“No it’s okay,” Melanie yawned. “I’m exhausted.”

“Okay no problem. So let’s go over it one more time…”

“…Reservation for Melanie Fischer. Room 507. I know, I know, I know.” Although Melanie insisted she was a big girl, the boys had insisted on setting up her reservation for her. Since it was unlikely they’d be back until the wee hours of the morning, she decided it was better anyway. All the less likely she’d lock herself out with nowhere to sleep if everything was already set up for her.

Melanie hopped out of the car once it pulled to a stop and grabbed a bag Jack had thrown together for her, consisting of a tee shirt and a pair of shorts to sleep in. She exchanged quick goodbyes with the boys, but that night was the last show on the tour that they were opening for, so they’d be in town for a little while.

She made her way to the front desk, feeling extraordinarily out of place in the lavish lobby.
“Melanie Fischer?” The lady at the front desk asked, checking her ID.

“That’s me.”

The woman handed her a room key, along with an unmarked envelope.

“Someone left a note for you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the lovely comments and messages on tumblr. yay! :]

I love writing this so much and I know exactly where I'm going with it and ahh. So excited. Goodbye writer's block!

Comment pwease?

- Nicole