‹ Prequel: A Burden

An Acceptance

Home is Behind

Raina leaned over the outer wall, watching the horses all run out. Silent tears fell down her cheeks and into the dirt far below her, but she refused to tear her gaze from the Men until they had ridden all the way to Osgiliath, and she couldn’t bear to watch any longer.

She turned around and slid back against the wall, trying to find something –anything- to listen to rather than the shots of constant arrows a few miles away.

Inside the Hall of the Stewards, Pippin was singing. Most likely for the Steward, who Raina cursed for several minutes in her mind.

“‘Home is behind… The world, ahead.’”

Next to him, Raina could hear the loud munching of Denethor eating his grand breakfast, while his only remaining son was giving his life up. A life that could have been so happy… Raina wiped her tears away angrily.

“‘And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow… to the edge of night.’”

Raina sniffled, a few more tears running their tracks down her face.

“‘Until the stars are all alight.’”

“‘Mist and shadow. Cloud and shade. All shall fade. All shall… fade.’”

She curled over, wishing that she weren’t so alone. In the distance, she could hear Pippin’s small sniffle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the shortness, guys.. probably should have put this with the last chapter. Poor planning on my part ):