‹ Prequel: A Burden

An Acceptance

No Hope for Myself

“Frodo has passed beyond my sight,” Gandalf commented. “The Darkness is deepening.”

“If Sauron had the Ring, we would know it,” Raina said testily.

“It’s only a matter of time,” Gandalf replied dejectedly.

“Do not give up hope!” Legolas reminded.

The entire council was watching them now. Nothing out of the usual. Raina’s family seemed to draw the attention at things like this.

“He has suffered defeat, yes. But behind the walls of Mordor, our enemy is regrouping.”

“Ten thousand orcs stand now between Frodo and Mount Doom,” Gandalf announced listlessly. “I’ve sent him to his death.”

Raina stared at the wizard with wide eyes, her mouth hanging open slightly.

“No,” Aragorn called strongly. “There’s still hope for Frodo. He needs time, and safe passage across the Plains of Gorgoroth.”

The new king turned to the rest of us, a small grin in his eye. “We can give him that.”

Raina grinned back at him, a fire lit within her once more.

“How?” Èomer asked from outside their little world.

“Draw out Sauron’s armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather out full strength and march to the Black Gate.”

“We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms!” Èomer reminded them as if they were children.

Raina answered this time. “Not for ourselves,” she called to everyone in her confident tone. “But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron’s Eye fixed upon us.”

“Keep him blind to all else that moves,” Aragorn finished, knowing he and the rest of the Fellowship present were all on the same page.

“A diversion,” Legolas clarified for all the other who were still confused.

Gimli grinned, looking at his friends. “Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?”

Raina laughed with the rest of her family.

**

Raina made her way back to the infirmary as soon as the council was over.

She pushed the oaken doors open quietly, not wanting to disturb Faramir, who was the only other person resting there. Raina figured it must be only for royalty, which made her blush slightly.

She moved over to her bed’s side gracefully. To Faramir, who actually was awake, her feet seemed to nearly float along the stone floor. She bent over and took something in her hand, which ended up being her necklace. She wrapped it around her neck and closed the clasp, a sigh of release escaping her lips. She then set to combing her hair with her fingers and braiding it to the back, readying herself for the day. On the bed next to hers, her sword, twin blades, and assortment of daggers and knives lay sorted and straight, ready to be used. Earlier, Faramir had glanced at them while he was alone, and he was impressed that the girl knew how to use all of them in battle.

She slid the sword into its place at her side before turning to the blades. With a grin she lifted them, giving them a few swings around her sides before swinging them up and behind her, into their ties under her cloak. After that, she placed all her daggers and knives in their secret places (Faramir politely –yet reluctantly- looked away when she lifted her skirt to strap two to her thigh).

Then she lifted a mirror to check her appearance before turning to leave, but something caught her eye behind her in the mirror. She set it down and turned slowly, her eyes on Faramir the entire time.

Her breath caught in her throat, seeing him like this: his emotions unguarded, right there for her to see. Her own eyes swam with affection and love as they stared at each other.

After a long moment, Faramir stood slowly, welcoming Raina to him without words.

She flew into his arms, resting her head on his chest. Neither needed to speak to ruin the moment.

But soon enough, Raina knew she needed to go.

“The sun is setting on this day,” she whispered into Faramir’s chest. “We must buy him some time. We ride out today.”

Faramir stared into her eyes in shock. “You cannot win! It is impossible!”

Raina nodded. “We know. But Frodo is close… so close. I still hold hope for Middle Earth. But I have saved no hope for myself.”

Faramir shook his head. “You can’t say that… I…”

Raina freed herself from his arms, shaking her head sadly. “I need to do this… Please, don’t make it harder for us.”

Her figure swept out of the room before her sobs broke free.
♠ ♠ ♠
My higest thanks go out to meanmrmustard and Ice Cat for their comments. I love you guys!(: