‹ Prequel: A Burden

An Acceptance

Life is Beautiful

Hundreds of silent people stood atop Minas Tirith, watching a single soul. Gandalf stood in front of them all, facing the crowd.

He lifted an object for all to see: the crown of Gondor, before pacing it on King Elessar’s head. Or better known to his loved ones -- Aragorn.

“Now come the days of the King,” Gandalf announced to everyone. “May they be blessed.”

Aragorn stood to address the crowd, standing regally in his kingly outfit.

“This day does not belong to one man but to all! Let us together rebuild this world… that we may share in the days of peace.”

Everyone in the crowd applauded politely, but they were all excited and ready for the time of peace.

“Et Eärello endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn’ Ambar-metta,” he sang, although the only ones who could understand were the Elves, who were standing in a group behind Legolas, Raina, Faramir, and Èowyn. (Out of the Great Sea to Middle-Earth I am come. In this place I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.)

Aragorn set out into the crowd of people, greeting familiar faces, until he came to Raina’s group.

There, he stopped and looked at Raina and Legolas, emotions swimming in his eyes.

Emotionally, Raina threw her arms around his neck (after letting go of Faramir’s hand) and kissed his cheek, not saying a word.

He then turned to Legolas, who rested their arms on each other’s shoulders in a brotherly embrace.

Aragorn nodded to Raina and Legolas. “Hannon le.” (Thank you)

Raina smiled through her misty eyes before Aragorn turned to Arwen. They kissed, and the crowd applauded enthusiastically. Raina smiled and melted back into Faramir, winding her fingers around his.

Finally, with Arwen at his side, Aragorn came upon the four Hobbits. They bowed awkwardly, and Raina could tell Merry and Pippin were getting a kick out of this.

Aragorn smiled. “My friends! You bow to no one.

Raina gasped, a single tear tailing down her cheek as Aragorn bowed before her lifelong friends.

Following his lead, everyone in Minas Tirith was soon bowing to the four of them, Raina included. She glanced up and saw the four looking at her, Merry and Pippin grinning enthusiastically. It took everything in her to suppress her giggles.

**

Raina stood outside the walls of Minas Tirith, tears falling down her face.

She had changed into her war clothes after the wedding. She knew full well that there was no need, but she was more comfortable in them, and she had yet to get a seamstress to sew her an Elfish dress. Imagine that, she thought to herself. A seamstress, sewing for me!

Faramir had promised that she would be royalty in Gondor, because even though Aragorn was King, he had insisted that Faramir was still Steward, and even Prince of Ithilien. Such a strange prospect, in Raina’s opinion.

Before her stood her four friends, the ones she had known her entire life. They were dressed in the finest outfits for the occasion, and their ponies carried riches beyond what Bilbo had ever brought back.

And it was time for her to say goodbye. For she would not be returning with them back to their home. Gondor was her home now, for they were already planning a grand wedding for her and Faramir. She was soon to be a daughter of Gondor.

The four Hobbits seemed ready, and were waiting to bid her goodbye. She smiled at them all.

“A year ago, would you have imagined us here, now? Like this?” she asked softly, looking them all over. They had all grown up so much, herself included. So much had changed.

They all shook their heads, lost in their own thoughts.

Raina stepped forward and hugged Sam goodbye first, then Merry, then Pippin.

Lastly, she kissed Frodo’s cheeks and hugged him tightly. She couldn’t believe that right after she had gotten him back, they were separating again. She leaned forward, her forehead touching his.

“Be safe.”

“You too, sister.”

She gave him a sad smile before standing up once more.

But their paths were splitting. They had both changed, and this was the way it was meant to be. But Raina had a sinking feeling that this would be one of the last times she ever saw Frodo in this life.

“Come back to the Shire to visit!” Pippin said through tears.

Raina smiled sadly at him, her own tears spilling. She had thought about that for quite a long time.

“Oh, my dear Pippin,” she said softly. “I fear I will never return to the Shire. This is my home now.”

The Hobbits looked at her sadly, but they understood. She had grown out of the Shire. It was never meant to be for her to belong there, and all those good and wonderful things had to come to an end someday. For her, it had.

They rode off into the distance on their ponies slowly. Before they were out of sight, Frodo turned around and waved goodbye to his sister with a sad smile on his face.

Raina blinked back tears as Faramir came out of the gates and wrapped his arm around her. Behind him, Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn all lined up around her, all waving with her to the Hobbits.

I may have lost a brother to this war, she thought sadly, a little smile on her face. But I have gained three more.

Home is behind,
The world, ahead

And there are many paths to tread

Through shadow,
To the edge of night.

Until the stars are all alight

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade.

All shall fade.

All
Shall
Fade.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, the Return of the King has finally come to a close. But don't leave me yet! There's still a quite long epilogue to come(: