‹ Prequel: A Burden

An Acceptance

An Ending

It is the year four of the Fourth Age. This is the attempted accounts of Raina, daughter of Gondor, Rivendell, and the Shire from here on out.

Today, the day I start this journal, is the day that I shall see my family again. The day the remaining of the Fellowship shall be reunited. The remaining here are riding out to the Grey Havens, where we will be biding farewell to Gandalf the White. He is to sail with the remaining Bearers of the Rings of Power. It will be the final gathering of the Fellowship.

It has been five years and a month to the day that Gandalf came to the doorstep of Bag End to tell us of our journey, and nearly four years since the Time of Peace has started, or rather, the War of the Ring has ended. It has been nearly that long since the Return of the King, and yet I have not aged a day since I met Legolas in Rivendell. I do not know if it is because I finally accepted my heritage or because they accepted me. Perhaps both. But I have a horrible feeling that Legolas was right, all those years ago. It will end up just being him, Gimli, and I left. Maybe in the distant future, there will be a new evil rising, and we will be at the battle front together once more. Who knows? But alas, I fear I will not be able to stand this immortal life for that long. I have heard of Elves dying of grief; I wonder, is it possible for an Elf to die of boredom of this world?

But no matter, I should not be thinking of that yet. I am still only a girl of twenty six! I would have many years left even if I were mortal.

But I can not help feeling trapped here. Perhaps it is it atmosphere. I do not understand how anyone bears this awful city: always confined by walls and stone, having to search for just the right spot to see any green grass. I am sitting here, in a maternity dress finer than any other in Middle Earth, in the comforts of Aragorn’s finest living quarters, but I miss the wild. I miss the year I spent traveling with my friends. I miss the freedom we had, even though we were fighting with our lives for the freedom I have now.

I can hear the soft cries of Lani in the room next to ours, and I pray the nanny will comfort her, for I need to save my strength for the long ride to the Grey Havens later. My left hand rests instinctively on my rounded belly, for the babe is the reason I must ride- instead of walk, like my friends- to the Shore. I grin to myself, for I know what others do not.

You see, Sam Gamgee and I have a bet of sorts going, to see who can name their son after Frodo first. We have both had daughters named after loved ones, but no sons just yet (Lani is derived from Legolas). And Lord Elrond, who has the gift of foresight, has told me in letters that I will be winning this bet. So little Frodo-lad will be on the way in a little over three months.

There is so much to say! About how happy I am to see the Fellowship together once more, but how sad I am that it will be the last time we do. Tears still mist my eyes over as I see the scene of the Hobbits jumping on Frodo’s bed, Legolas and Gandalf watching from the side and Strider and I at Frodo’s side, with Sam at the foot of the bed, all of us trying to speak at once. That was the last time I saw Frodo and Sam, save Aragorn’s crowing. Merry and Pippin have taken it upon themselves to visit us in Minas Tirith often, and stayed a particularly long time after. I think that Pippin is still attached to this place, although it’s been years since he worked or fought here.

But as for Frodo and Sam… I believe that they are more in love with the Shire than the rest of us. The familiarity, the simplicity, and the lack of worries. It’s exactly what they need to heal.

As for myself, the Shire was not saved for me. I fear I will never return to my first home again. I have changed too much, and my childhood home will not recognize me and shall treat me as a stranger. Thus, I shan’t return. That part of my life is over, and I am ready for my new life with Faramir and my family.

I must be going, for we shall be leaving soon. Finally, leaving this place! From the Grey Havens we shall all be splitting up. I will be going to Ithilien with Legolas and my family to start rebuilding Faramir’s piece of Gondor.


Raina closed her leather bound book and set it in the ever-growing pile of items that will be going with her to Ithilien. She turned her head to the side, hearing the familiar tired footsteps coming from the hall, then the creak of the doors as it opened. Faramir walked in and over to Raina, kissing the top of her head.

“The others will be setting out to leave soon,” he told her.

Raina rose, having to balance herself on her husband so she didn’t stumble.

He placed his arms around her and drew her in. “You don’t have to go, you know. You probably shouldn’t, in fact, in case something happens with little Frodo…” he murmured in into her hear, rubbing her swollen belly.

Raina laughed, “You just want me all to yourself,” she whispered back, kissing his neck.

“Of course I do! Who wouldn’t?” he smiled, but Raina could see the weariness in his eyes.

“You are too worried,” she breathed, looking up into his eyes in concern. “What is wrong? Besides last minute arrangements.”

Faramir sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed, taking Raina’s hand in his. Raina sat next to him, shivers still running up her spine at his touch, even after four years.

“It is just thinking about the whole Fellowship being ‘reunited.’”

Realization hit Raina. “Everyone but Boromir.”

A small spasm of pain quickly slashed across Faramir’s unguarded face.

“I miss him. I wish he were here.”

Raina sighed sadly, resting her head under Faramir’s chin, where she could hear his heart beat easily.

“So do I. He was a great man. He comforted me when no one else could find the strength to. I wish he could have been here to be my brother.”

Since there was nothing else to say on the matter, Faramir rose, helping his wife up as well, as he led her through the stone halls and out to the stables, where Legolas was already waiting.

Raina turned to face Faramir. “You will take care of Hamson, will you not? You know he hates traveling without a rider…”

Faramir sighed scornfully in a mocking way. “Who knew a Wolf of Isengard would need so much attention?”

She laughed in a carefree way, which had seemed to hard not too long ago. “He is just special,” she said defensively.

Special. Like some others we know around here,” Legolas laughed from behind her. Raina spun around (and would have landed on her rear had Legolas not caught her) to glare playfully at the Elf.

“Take good care of her, you hear?” Faramir’s tone was light as he smiled at Legolas, but his eyes said that he was dead serious.

“Of course,” Legolas agreed sincerely. “Nothing less than my full care for my little sister.”

Raina smiled up at him, and moved back over to Faramir.

“See you in a few weeks,” she said, kissing him softly on the lips.

Before she could break away, he placed his warm hand on her cheek, and pulled her in for a sweet kiss, one that left her wanting more when he did break away. She had to resist the urge to pull him back and kissing him with all she had when he stepped away.

“I must be going, I have a meeting to attend and I’m already late. See you in a few weeks, Raina. Be safe!”

Raina smiled, waving goodbye to her love as he walked back to the Hall of Minas Tirith.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, my dear friends. And here the death and depression starts. You're in for a rough final five chapters, my lovelies(: