‹ Prequel: A Burden

An Acceptance

The White Tree

It was only a few hours later when the Fellowship were speaking with Théoden in the Hall.

“There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool… but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring,” Gandalf said, and a few glanced were thrown at the two Hobbits sitting silently in the corner.

Raina stood between Aragorn and Legolas as they all watched Gandalf to make a decision. At first, she could feel the confused stares on the back of her head from the Hobbits. They were wondering what had happened since they had been with the Fellowship. Back then, there was a distinct line between the Shire-folk and everyone else; the naïve and the experienced. Now that Raina was considered helpful with decisions like this, she had crossed the line drawn before.

“We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith,” Gandalf continued to explain to Théoden, while the Fellowship stood patiently, waiting.

“His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing: he knows the heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed; there is courage still, strength enough perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle-Earth uniting under one banner.”

“He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a King return to the throne of men. If the Beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war.”

All gazes were torn from Gandalf to Théoden. With a sinking feeling, Raina figured that the king of Rohan would make yet another bad decision. And she did not have enough energy to have to help fix it for him, again.

“Tell me… why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours?” he asked slowly. Raina growled in the back of her throat.

“Well seeing as you refused our advice in calling them to aid you, you can not blame them for not doing what they did not know of,” she started defiantly. “And even if they did, you will die if you do not unite. Or did you not learn that last time?”

Théoden king’s face turned red with indignation. “Now you see here, woman-”

Aragorn cleared his throat, interrupting him. “I wouldn’t argue with her, seeing as it was us who saved you from you and your people’s doom only a few days ago. Had we not been there, you would not be here today.”

Aragorn made his point very clear. Théoden needed to listen to us, because if he had last time, they would not have had so many casualties in the battle.

“I will go,” Aragorn announced.

“No!” Gandalf said, turning his attention from the girl and the king.

“They must be warned!”

“And they will be. You must come to Minas Tirith by another road,” Gandalf said. All of the Fellowship’s attention turned to him for instructions on what they were doing next.

"Follow the river and look to the black ships.” Gandalf turned away from Aragorn to face Raina and then his glance flickered over the hobbits.

"Understand this: things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith. And I won’t be going alone.”

His gaze rested on Pippin, who looked up to meet his gaze and nodded uncertainly.

The wizard then turned to Raina. “You as well. Ride out later today at the latest, or ride with us. It matters not. Get to Minas Tirith before noon the day after tomorrow. It is three days ride.”

Raina frowned, but nodded. She knew she was in danger here. Sauron had seen her, and besides that, she was definitely getting on the royalty’s nerves. It was best for her to get out of there. But for the first time on this journey, she would not be with Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli. It was a strange thought to think about.