Cherish Forever

Number Ten

"I can't believe Slughorn gave us that much homework! I won't be able to finish it all for tomorrow!" Ron complained while the four friends (Piper, Harry, Hermione, and Ron) all made their way to DADA class.

"Oh, Ron! It's just a 2 feet long essay on Amortentia. If you had been paying attention in class, you wouldn't have any trouble," Hermione scowled.

Piper and Harry rolled their eyes and exchanged winks as they led the way into the classroom and into their seats in the back. The rest of the class, including the Slytherins, filed in, chattering quietly. Piper looked around the room, in search of Lucius. She spotted him sitting in a chair along the side, eyeing numerous people. He caught Piper's eye and smiled somewhat arrogantly at her.

"Silence!" Professor Snape's voice boomed around the classroom from the door. The students obeyed. Snape pointed his wand at the blackboard and words instantly appeared in the form of a note, "copy this note and read page 85 from your textbook once you're done," Snape turned his eyes to Draco, "Mr. Malfoy, I would like to have a word with you after class about your chastisement."

Piper's and many other's eyes glanced at Draco to see him glare at them, making them turn away. When he looked at Piper, she smirked, which made in turn made Malfoy's face turn red from anger.

By this point, many people had noticed Lucius and were chatting softly to eachother. Piper leaned over towards the others so she could hear the others better.

"Why is he here?" Harry questioned.

"He's apparently going to be 'making sure Hogwarts is operating smoothly'. He came and introduced himself to Neville and I at breakfast," Piper added after seeing the others' confused faces.

"I bet he's as arrogant as Draco. What happened?" Ron glared at Lucius in disgust.

"It was really quite amusing. Draco was being his cocky self and then he," Piper pointed to Lucius, "came and-," she was cut off by a shadow cast over her. She looked overhead to see a head of long blonde hair, who else but Lucius Malfoy. Piper tried her best to put a polite smile on her face though she was mentally stabbing him multiple times with sporks.

"Miss... Austin, I believe? Are you doing your work?"

Piper took this cue to turn slowly back towards her desk, not wanting to get on the bad side of him. Who knows what he could do to me. "Yes, I am. Sir," she added just to be polite.

"Good," Lucius continued his walk around the room.

Piper glanced to Ron who was sitting beside her and rolled her eyes. She silently continued copying the note, only to hear Snape dismiss everyone. Piper inwardly groaned, grabbed her paper and other supplies, and stood up with the rest to walk out. She looked around the room to find her friends, but didn't see them. They must have gone to lunch without me. She walked silently to the door.

"Austin," Snape's voice called to her, and she turned to acknowledge him, "How are you feeling? How's your head?"

"Fine... I just get minor headaches sometimes."

Snape looked at her with what looked like sincere sympathy, but Piper wasn't sure, "Did you get your note done?"

"Almost. Just had a few lines left," Piper's eyes looked nervously to Lucius, as he was giving her odd looks.

"You may stay and finish. I trust you won't do anything stupid."

Piper looked to Snape, surprised, "Alright," she walked back to her desk and continued writing. Lucius and Snape were talking quietly to eachother while walking out the door, probably to the Great Hall for lunch.

Being in the DADA classroom alone was creeping Piper out, so she hurriedly finished her note and rushed to lunch. When she got to the Great Hall, she found Harry, Hermione, Neville, and Ron sitting at the Gryffindor table. She walked up beside Neville, sat down and grabbed a plate for food, "Thanks for leaving me," she said sarcastically.

Ron's face lit up, "That's what we forgot!"

Piper feigned being hurt by placing her hand over her heart, "I'm hurt, Ronald! I thought you loved me!" she pretended to start crying, but couldn't help start laughing with the others.

"So where were you?" Hermione asked when the laughter had died down.

"I just had to finish that note," Piper glanced down at her wristwatch to see it was time for their next class, "Oh, come on guys. It's time for Transfigurations!" The five friends stood up and filed out of the Great Hall to the common room to grab their things.

"Do you think Mr. Malfoy is going to be there too?" Harry queried.

"I'm not quite sure. To be quite honest, I think he's here on more than just Ministry business," Piper answered.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked, though Piper didn't get to answer as they were getting late for class.