Cherish Forever

Number Fourteen

Snape's P.O.V.

Snape placed his green and silver mask over his face and tied it around the back of his head. Once he had that done, he examined himself in the tall mirror on his dormitory door. He was pleased with his outfit, although he would rather not have to wear it at all.

He was wearing a long green dress robe with silver trimming, perfectly representing his House colours. He had carefully combed his sleek, black hair so not a single hair was sticking up. Despite the Hogwarts students' thoughts toward him, he was hygienic and washed his hair at least every other day.

Glancing at his bedside clock, he realized it was about time he should head down to the Great Hall. He stashed his wand inside his robe, just in case, and started downstairs.

When he got to the Great Hall, there were already some students there, along with all the teachers. The room was decorated the way you would expect a Halloween dance to be. There were orange and black streamers dangling from the roof, the stars were shining through the ceiling. The lights were dimmed, the tables cleared away. The Hogwarts ghosts were floating around, reveling in their favourite holiday.

Snape began circling the room, making sure no trouble was caused. He noticed Lucius making his way over to him. He wore a simple silver mask, with a long, green robe.

"Severus, good to see you came," Lucius greeted him.

"I didn't really have a choice, did I?" Snape saw his friend's left sleeve rise up a little when he went to move his hair behind his ear. Lucius hastily pulled it back down before anything was seen, "Be a bit more careful about that, Lucius. We cannot afford you put back in Azkaban. Piper Austin is already suspicious of you."

Lucius simply glared at Severus, but his face contorted into one of curiosity, "Severus, it sounds like you fancy this girl."

Snape gave him an incredulous stare, "What in Merlin's name are you talking about?"

"Being incredibly nice to her? Saving her from the lake? Managing to bring her into every conversation?" Lucius raised his eyebrow and crossed his arms across his chest, waiting for an explanation. His face held that famous Malfoy smirk.

The truth was, Snape did not have an explanation. He was not sure why he was being exceptionally nice to Piper. Something had changed since last term, and he could not quite put a finger on it.

Luckily, McGonagall came to Snape's aid, "Lucius! Great job on planning this ball! It's-"

Snape did not hear the rest, as he was taking the chance and continued walking around the Hall. His eyes found the fiery red hair that he knew belonged to the youngest Weasley boy. He knew wherever Weasley was, Piper would not be far behind. He scanned the Hall, searching for that long, golden blonde har on the head of the tall Gryffindor, wearing the emerald green dress hie had seen her pick out only days ago.

Sure enough, he saw someone descending the staircase, and he knew exactly who it was the second he layed eyes on her.

Oh Merlin, is that Piper Austin?