Cherish Forever

Number Two

"...I have a few announcements to make. Firstly, as always, the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds. Also, as you may know, we lost another Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Our new teacher will be... Severus Snape!" Dumbledore announced.

The whole Great Hall erupted in commotion. Everybody knew how much Snape has wanted that job, and now he has it. Piper heard Ron whisper something along the lines of, "Is he out of his bloody mind?" to Harry and Hermione. They both nodded in agreement and continued listening.

Personally, Piper was proud of what he has finally accomplished. One question popped into her mind, though, and by the way everyone's face was, they had the same question: Who was going to take over Snape's job.

As if Dumbledore could read everybody's mind, he answered all of their questions, "I'm sure you all want to know who is going to be the new Potions teacher. Well, I would like to introduce to you, an old friend of mine, the new Potions teacher... Professor Horace Slughorn!" Piper could have sworn she saw Dumbledore wink at Harry, and vise versa. Ron, and Hermione and her shot questioning looks at Harry, and he just mouthed, "Tell you later," at them.

Professor Slughorn stood up from his seat and slightly bowed, gleaming at the students. He was quite a pudgy wizard, Piper thought to herself. He was losing his hair and didn't look that intimidating. He waved at the students and sat down once again.

"Now without further a due, let the feast... BEGIN!" Dumbledore finished and instantly all four house tables filled up with food. Everybody immediately began filling up their plates with a large variety of food that was set up.

"So what's up with Dumbledore, you and Slughorn, Harry?" Piper inquired as she started on the plate of potatoes, steak and vegetables that were in front of her.

"Yeah," Ron and Hermione said simultaneously. They looked at eachother, blushed, and looked at the ground. Piper just rolled her eyes at her friends and paid attention to what Harry was saying. Ron and Hermione stopped being childish and also paid attention

"Well, when Dumbledore came to pick me up from the Dursley's to bring me to Ron's house, we took a detour so Dumbledore could persuade Slughorn to start teaching again-"

"Again?" Ron interrupted, but Piper and Hermione sent him glares, which made him shut up.

"Yes, I'll get to that, Ron. Anyways, when we got there, the door was wide open and everything inside was everywhere. He even had writing in blood on the wall. We found him sitting in the middle of it all. He told us that he just wanted it to look like Death Eaters had come around. But, of course, he didn't have the Dark Mark to go with it all. Anyways, Slughorn thrives on being connected and people who are connected to anyone well known in the wizarding world. When Dumbledore asked him if he would teach again, Slughorn refused. So somehow, I got him to take the job. Turns out, that man taught my mother!"

Throughout Harry's story, Piper, Ron, and Hermione would throw in words, along the lines of "Yeah" or just a simple nod of their head. By the time Harry was done, dessert was on the table and everyone was finishing up.

"Well, I guess it's time to get going, then?" Hermione broke the small silence that had taken over while everyone ate their dessert.

"Yeah, I guess we should. Come on guys. GRYFFINDOR FIRST YEARS, FOLLOW HERMIONE AND I!" Ron shouted out to the Gryffindor first years, who looked quite intimidated by Ron's height and big voice. Hermione gently slapped his arm for scaring the little ones and led the first years toward the common room with Ron.

Piper and Harry walked steadily behind the large group up the moving staircase. A few new girls looked petrified at the sight of the stairs, so Piper quietly comforted them and all was well.

"So, do you think Ron will get enough guts to ask Hermione out?" Harry asked, making conversation. Piper was surprised he was talking at all. He was still pretty shaken up about the whole Sirius thing.

"Oh, I don't know about that," Piper laughed, making her long, blonde hair bounce on her back and Harry smiled a little bit. "So... is Harry fancying anyone this year?"

"Not...at...the moment," Harry responded, even though Piper could see him blush. "What about you? See anyone you actually might like?"

Piper blushed too as she said, "Me neither. None of these guys... meet up to my expectations, you know?" Harry nodded in understanding.

They got to the Common Room and everyone either stayed there, or went up to their dormitories to get ready for bed. Piper decided she would stay in the Common Room for a little bit and then go up to bed. The four friends sat in front of the fireplace and talked about their summer. Harry talked about his dreadful summer with the Dursley's, Hermione's life in her Muggle world, Piper's family, and Ron's... life. They did that until Hermione and Piper decided to go to bed. They both went up the dormitory and changed. Piper fell asleep on her top bunk, falling into dreams of that terrible day once again.