Cherish Forever

Number Three

Piper woke up to find herself restless in her bed. She had that terrible dream once again and she found herself almost in tears. Every time she thought about it, it made chills run up and down her spine. She saw it every time she closed her eyes. But, something always nagged her at the back of her mind, something she had never shared with anyone before. If she hadn't persuaded James to go down with her, to break the rules, which was something he never did, just to have a little fun with her, he would still be alive right now and he would be here, enjoying Hogwarts with her. But, she always pushed that thought away because she knew she couldn't think like that. It had been fate, and no one could deny it.

Piper carefully crawled out of her top bunk, so as not to wake Hermione, and crept down the stairs to the common room, where she knew the fire was still blazing. She had always found comfort in the blazing fire, just watching all of her troubles disappear into the flames. When she got to the common room, she saw Harry, just sitting on the couch, staring into the abyss.

"Harry," she started, but words failed her when Harry turned around, with tears streaming down his face. He blushed and quickly wiped away his tears, but Piper sat down beside and leaned into him and put a comforting arm around his shoulder and whispered, "Just let it all out, Harry. There is nothing wrong with that." And with these words and her arms around him, it was her silent promise to him that he had nothing to fear. And with that, he broke down completely, letting himself go.

After what seemed like ages, Harry finally lifted his head up to face Piper. She knew how much he hated people seeing him cry, so this must be torture for him.

"Piper, please don't say anything about this, okay? I just... he... he's dead... And we were supposed to start a new life together..." Harry trailed off. Piper only hugged him tighter.

"I promise I won't say anything, Harry, don't worry. Your secret is safe with me." Piper replied, reassuringly.

"We'd better get to bed. We have double DADA in the morning." Harry groaned, as he started to get up and make his way towards the stairs.

"Oh, joy. Just what we need to start off the day, eh? Which reminds me, I have got to go find Mojo, so maybe she can work that voodoo that she does on Snape." Piper replied while they both laughed at her horrible joke.

"Yeah, maybe..good-night Pi-pi-pi...Piper," Harry yawned as he made his way up to the boy's dorms.

Piper gave a soft laugh to herself. She couldn't wait until morning, because even though she said Snape's name with disgust and hate, she couldn't help but feel that little spark flicker inside her.

Next Day

Piper was the first to wake up and have a shower. The benefits of being an insomniac. There is always hot water in the showers. Just as she finished dressing, the others started to wake up. Everyone muttered their 'hello's as they passed. She gave Hermione a quick hug and she returned it, even though she was still half asleep. Piper did her hair, letting it flow way down past her shoulders in its curliness. She loved it. It was long, very blonde, soft and curly. She never had to do a thing to it. Not even brush it. Today was no exception.

As she made her way downstairs, she saw that all the boys were sitting, waiting in the common room for girls. They all looked disheveled, with their hair messy, theirs shirts un-tucked and their ties un-done.

"Well, aren't we a sharp looking bunch?" Piper laughed as she made her way towards the couch. The guys acknowledged her grunts, which she was used to. These were definitely not morning people.

"Well, if anyone cares, I am off to go look for Mojo. I'll meet you all at breakfast!" Without even waiting for a reply, Piper vanished beyond the portrait and out into the hall, in search of the mysterious Mojo.

Mojo's real name was Jyn Lin, but since she practiced voodoo, Piper called her Mojo. Mojo was in Slytherin but was nothing like them. Just because voodoo is sometimes evil, does not make you an evil person! Piper had met Mojo the very first day of school and ever since then, the two had been attached at the hip, even when they were put in separate houses. Harry, Ron and Hermione were also her best friends, since she was the out-cast of Slytherin. Mojo was a beautiful Korean girl, with hazel eyes and short, spiked jet black hair and she liked to adorn her uniform with crazy accessories. She was definitely one of a kind and Piper loved her for it.

Piper knew that Mojo would be up, because she is always found doing her morning ritual in the Room of Requirement, which was where Piper went to find her. As she stepped into the room, Mojo pounced on her and the two of them hugged like long-lost sisters. Piper was so happy. It was great to see Mojo again.

"I haven't seen you all summer! How was Korea?" Piper asked curiously as the two weaved their way in and out of the passing students to get to the Great Hall.

"It was amazing. There were some many things to see and I learned so much more about my culture and religion." Mojo replied proudly. She was very proud of who she was and where she came from.

"I'm glad to hear it." Piper replied happily as the two sat themselves down at the Gryffindor table beside the now fully awake Harry, Ron and Hermione, who were all munching on bits of toast. Choruses of 'Mojo!' were heard all over the Gryffindor table. Everyone had already gotten their time tables the day before, they were all dreading double DADA with Snape and the Slytherins. Snape, Piper could handle but the Slytherins really got on her nerves.

"Well, I am actually looking forward to Potions after lunch. We have a new teacher and he might not be so bad." Hermione piped up as everyone was finishing up breakfast. Everyone nodded in agreement. Potions was indeed looking more enjoyable. It was a different teacher and instead of working with the Slytherins, they were working with the Ravenclaws.

"Alright, let's head up to DADA." Ron said, as he ushered everyone to their doom.

"Come on guys, it's not that bad. Even though it is Snape, DADA has always been fun." Harry said, as he tried to brighten everyone's moods.

"Yeah, but he might do demonstrations, and do you really want to be in the way of a spell that he fires at you? How long do think he has been waiting for a chance to do this?" Piper moaned, thinking about all of the times she aggravated him, that were now coming back to haunt her. Damn, she thought to herself. I knew I should have been a suck-up.

Everyone took their seats as they waited on Snape to grace them all with his presence and begin the lesson. Sure enough, Snape came into the room, black robes billowing behind him, with a scowl on his face. He walked to the front of the room, not after shutting all the windows and blinds, and faced the class.

"I am here to teach you about Defense Against the Darks Arts. You must not take this subject lightly, for have a great knowledge of it will end up saving your life someday, if not sometime soon. But, I am surprised however that this class managed to scrap by with a passing mark in this subject." Snape said, as he glared at the students. Every Gryffindor gave him, a cold, hard glare in return, but the Slytherins just smiled, looking smug. They knew that they would have no troubles in this class anymore, thanks to Snape.

"We are going to be practicing non-verbal spells, which gives you an advantage because in a duel, your opponent will not know how to defend himself. Or herself." He droned on, as he stared at the females in the room. "Now, I will be needing a volunteer, to do a demonstration. Any takers?" Snape asked, apparently amused. Piper shot Harry a look saying, "I told you so."

"Ah, Miss Austin. Come forward." Snape told her. When Piper didn't make any move to make her way towards the front, Snape barked out, "Now!" Piper grabbed her wand and made her way cautiously down the stairs, down to the front of the room to face Snape. He put a smirk on his face.

"Now, Miss Austin, draw your wand and I want you to disarm me, and disarm me only. I will use a non-verbal spell to block your attack. Ready?" Snape asked, in that familiar lazy tone. Piper nodded, uncertain.

"Expelliarmus!" She cried, putting everything she had into the disarming spell, for she desperately wanted to knock Snape flat on his...

Before she knew it, her spell was sent flying back at her with such force; she was knocked into the desks behind her, landing right on Draco Malfoy's lap.

"Gee, Austin, I know I'm gorgeous, but you don't have to throw yourself at me." Malfoy smirked as Piper pulled herself of his lap and her way back to the front.

"Go soak your head," She muttered rubbing her back. Yeah, there was definitely going to be a bruise there. She turned to face Snape once again, who was trying to suppress a laugh, while Piper just glared at him.

"Sorry about that, Miss Austin. I guess you were just caught of guard. But, you and Mister Malfoy do make a good couple." He said, amused, while the Slytherins laughed and the Gryffindor glared at him, loathing him all the more.

"Now, I will try to disarm you and I want you to try the non-verbal spell. Ready?" he asked, yet again and yet again, Piper nodded her head, only this time she wanted to really knock Snape flat on his ass.

"Expelliarmus!" Snape cried and Piper concentrated and screamed in her mind the blocking spell, then she closed her eyes, waiting for the spell to hit her. But, it never did. She, reluctantly, opened her eyes to see Snape, flat on his ass, on the ground against the wall, with a lock of pure shock on his face. He opened his mouth but no words came out. I can't believe I just did a non-verbal spell! Even Hermione can't do that! Piper thought excitedly. She turned to face her fellow Gryffindors, who burst out with loud cheers and clapping. But, as immediately as they had started, they had stopped, because Snape gave them a menacing glare.

"Class dismissed." He said, roughly, without ever taking his eyes off Piper. Everyone scrambled to get their things and get out, but Piper trotted up the stairs, basking in her glory. Even though her face didn't show it, she was still in shock over the whole ordeal. Maybe she wasn't as useless as she thought...

"Piper, that was bloody wicked!" Ron cried, as soon as you were out of ear-shot of the classroom.

"Did you see the look on Snape's face? Priceless!" Harry joked as the made their way to their next class.

"How did you did you do that, Piper? That is very advanced magic!" Hermione questioned, her eyes wide.

"I don't...I don't really know..." Piper stuttered, "It just happened."

"Well, I hope you do it again, because that was bloody wicked!" Ron said, yet again.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here, Miss Austin, I really did enjoy having you on my lap. Let's do it again sometime, shall we?" Came a cold, mocking voice from behind them...