Cherish Forever

Number Seven

Piper woke up some-what well rested the next day. She had been rescued at about 2:00 a.m., so she was completely zonked. She looked over at the clock on the wall to find that she had missed breakfast, lunch and dinner. Piper's stomach gave a large growl, to indicate that it was time for her to get some food. She slowly stepped out of the hospital bed, her headache still going strong, and got dressed in a simple pair of jeans and a black tank-top. She gathered her things and made up the bed, because she knew Madame Pomfrey had better things to do then make beds.

"Dear?" Speak of the devil. "Professor Snape asked that when you woke up, you could go see him in his office, I believe to discuss your detention," Madame Pomfrey told her.

Piper took on a look of confusion before remembering: the prank. She had forgotten about that after what happened. Piper let out a very audible groan. "I just can't catch a break, can I?" After thanking Madame Pomfrey, Piper made her way down to the dungeons, where she would meet Professor Snape. Come to think of it, she had never been alone in his office with him and he did save her life. That much she remembered, so she would at least say thanks.

Piper walked nervously down to the dungeons, down to Snape's office. The dungeons were creepy at night, so she avoided going down there at night. She quickly found Snape's office door and stood in front of it, waiting. Waiting for what, she wasn't sure, but very finally, very hesitantly, she gave a light knock on the door.

"Come in," Came the familiar 'I'm not interested' voice of Snape. Piper opened the door slowly, and made her way in.

"Evening Professor. Madame Pomfrey said you wanted to talk to me?" Piper asked, uncertain. Something about being around Snape made her feel that way. The way he acted as if he was totally devoid of human emotion, and how nothing seemed to matter. Piper often wondered how he could live like that.

"Yes, Austin, I did. It's about your detention this Friday night. You will come to my office and help me organize the textbooks onto their proper shelves. Friday at 8:00. Is that clear?" he asked, in an almost menacing tone, accompanied by sneer. Piper nodded, and went to get up, not wanting to deal with Snape, but her belt loop got caught in the chair, and her butt was immediately planted back in the seat. She groaned and slumped down in the chair, her head back with her eye closed, trying to collect herself. Today was definitely not her day. She had finally remembered Snape was there, when he said something to snap her back to reality.

"Pardon, Professor?" Piper asked, apologetically.

Snape sighed. "I asked you if you were alright, Austin. You whacked your head pretty hard on that rock, though it seems Madame Pomfrey fixed the cut," Snape asked, sounding genuinely concerned, causing Piper to be taken aback.

She recollected herself and replied, "Yes, Professor. I'm fine. I just have a massive headache. And, I just wanted to say thanks, for saving me back in the lake..." Piper trailed of, shuddering at the thought of that cold water filling her lungs. Snape got up, just as Piper did, and guided her to the door, with his hand on her lower back. Piper thought it was strange, but hey, she wasn't complaining.

"Do you need me to walk you back? In case of Malfoy..?" Snape asked, but Piper stopped him by shaking her head.

"Thanks, Professor, but I'm fine. Really," She said as Snape gave her a look to say, 'This coming from a girl who I just rescued from drowning in a lake?' She started to walk away, when she felt Snape catch her hand, she turned around to face him.

"Sweet dreams, Piper."

Piper stared at him, not believing this. "But, I still expect that homework tomorrow," Snape said, his sneer returning, along with the lazy tone, but, he did not let go of her hand.

"Of course, Professor. I wouldn't expect anything less." Piper smiled at him and turned around and made her way back to the dorm.

She was greeted by all her fellow Gryffindors with hugs and smiles and choruses of 'I hope you feel better, Piper!' Piper had to smile. She was glad to be home. After re-telling the tales of what had happened, Piper excused herself to go upstairs. She had to sleep. She changed and was in the midst of crawling into bed, when the door opened a crack, and Hermione's head popped in.

"Goody! You're not asleep yet. I just wanted to say, that I'm really glad you're okay. Did you know Snape rescued you? It was really, really weird. I would tell you the story, but I will save it for tomorrow. You need your rest." Hermione stated, in a very motherly tone, and hugged Piper, and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Piper smiled to herself, rested her head on her pillow, and tried to fall asleep, but all she could think of was what Snape had said and did. It just wasn't like him. Piper finally drifted of to sleep, looking forward to tomorrow, because Malfoy was going to pay. Oh yes, the shit has definitely hit the fan.