Cherish Forever

Number Eight

Snapes's Point Of View

Snape sat at the long table where all of the other professors sat, his face holding a sneer. He glanced carelessly around the room until his eyes fell upon a girl sitting at the Gryffindor table. Who is that? He thought to himself. Is that- is it Piper Austin? My, she sure has matured since last term.

Snape's gaze met hers, and Snape thought he could see a hint of a smile come across her face before they both averted her gaze. This is going to be a very interesting term.

Dumbledore announced to the school that Severus would be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Snape couldn't help but smirk as he waved his hand in acknowledgment. Dumbledore then told everyone that their new Potions would be Professor Slughorn. Snape grimaced. He remembered Slughorn from his school years. Slughorn was never really fond of him...

***

Later on the next day, Snape strided into the DADA classroom, his robes billowing behind him. He could feel everyone's stares burning holes into him. The Gryffindors sent cold glares towards him, while the Slytherins looked smug.

"I am here to teach you about Defense Against the Darks Arts. You must not take this subject lightly, for have a great knowledge of it will end up saving your life someday, if not sometime soon. But, I am surprised however that this class managed to scrap by with a passing mark in this subject," Snape said, as he glared at the students, "We are going to practicing non-verbal spells, which gives you an advantage because in a duel, your opponent will not know how to defend himself. Or herself," He droned on, as he stared at the females in the room, "Now, I will be needing a volunteer, to do a demonstration. Any takers?" Snape asked, amused.

He glanced at Austin and saw she was giving Potter a look that clearly said 'I told you so'. "Ah, Miss Austin. Come forward." Snape told her. He grew impatient when she didn't move, so he barked out, "Now!" At this, she stood up and cautiously walked to the front. Snape found it amusing how she looked as if she muttering under her breath, something along the lines of 'suck-up'. "Now, Miss Austin, draw your wand and I want you to disarm me, and disarm me only. I will use a non-verbal spell to block your attack. Ready?"

Once Piper nodded, she took out her wand and cried out, "EXPELLIARMUS!" Almost as soon as she yelled it, Snape thought hard on the counter curse and Austin was thrown backwards off her feet into Malfoy's lap. Both Snape and Malfoy smirked as Piper picked herself up and rubbed her back.

"Gee, Austin, I know I'm gorgeous, but you don't have to throw yourself at me," Malfoy smirk grew bigger, if that was even possible. Snape could faintly hear her mutter something that sounded like 'Go soak your head'.

Snape tried his hardest to keep his chuckle inside, "Sorry about that, Miss Austin. I guess you were just caught off guard. But, you and Mister Malfoy do make a good couple," He said, amused, earning himself a glare from Piper. "Now, I will try to disarm you and I want you to try the non-verbal spell. Ready?" Austin answered with another nod and Snape readied himself.

"EXPELLIARMUS" He cried, and he could see Piper's face contorted with concentration. Snape could feel his body thrown backwards as well. He crashed into the wall. He looked up at Austin with a look of pure shock. How could she have done that so well on the first try? Austin is surely very talented.

Snape tried to say something, but nothing came out of his mouth. When Piper turned towards her peers excitedly, the Gryffindors exploded into cheers and applauding. They stopped due to Snape glaring menacingly at them. "Class dismissed," he finally announced, not taking his eyes off Austin.

As soon as he said those two words, everyone scrambled out of their seats and out the door. Snape took the time to sit down at his desk and rubbed his temples, trying to rid himself of a building headache.

No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get the image of Piper Austin with a huge grin on her face out of his mind...

***

That night, Snape was doing his nightly rounds around the castle. He knew there was Prefects and Head Girls/Boys to do them, but he didn't think any of them were even worthy enough to be Prefects.

He glanced out of one of the windows looking onto the Lake, and he could've sworn he could see the outline of a person through the dark standing there with a wand raised. Well, curiosity killed the cat. Snape decided to check it out. He ran to the Entrance Doors and ran down to the Lake. Draco Malfoy was standing there laughing with his wand raised towards the lake.

"Malfoy, what in the world are you do-" He stopped mid-sentence when he heard splashing from the Lake. He looked just in time to see the top of a head go under. "Malfoy, who is that?"

Malfoy ignored him and continued laughing. Snape dove into the water.

He opened his eyes and he could see a girl floating downwards. He swam down towards her and realized it was Piper. She hit her head on a rock and blood seeped into the water, making it hard to see. He swam towards where he thought she was and wrapped his arms around her. He dragged her body to the surface. Her beautiful body, he thought. He dragged her onto solid ground and turned to see Malfoy standing there shocked that a professor had caught him.

"Detention all month, Malfoy!" Snape called to him as Malfoy ran inside the castle. Snape turned back to Austin, seeing her eyes open slightly. "Austin! Austin! Piper!" He called as she fell unconscious. He picked her up bridal style and sprinted to the Hospital Wing.

Madame Pomfrey came out her office immediately when she heard Snape calling her name and gasped as she saw who was in his arms, "What happened, Severus?"

Snape laid Piper in one of the beds and sped through the story as Madame Pomfrey cleaned and bandaged her head. After he was done, he looked down at Austin's sleeping body. She looked so peaceful, as if nothing in the world could hurt her, "Once she wakes up tell her to come to my office," he told Madame Pomfrey, "It's about her detention."

When Madame Pomfrey left to her office, he looked around to make sure nobody saw him, and leaned down and kissed Piper's forehead gently, as not to wake her. He swiftly left the room and informed Dumbledore of what had happened.

He retired to his room feeling exhausted. He sat down at his desk. He didn't know when Piper would wake up, so decided he would catch up on some marking. He brought out his papers from the Hufflepuffs and started marking.

He was halfway through them when he heard a knock on the door. He tried to sound as normal (in an 'I'm-not-interested' voice) as he could as he told whoever it was that they could come in. He glanced up and saw that it was Austin.

"Evening Professor. Madame Pomfrey said you wanted to talk to me?" Piper asked, uncertain.

"Yes, Austin, I did. It's about your detention this Friday night. You will come to my office and help me organize the textbooks onto their proper shelves. Friday at 8:00. Is that clear?"

Austin nodded, and went to get up, but something caught on the chair and forced her back into the seat. Snape heard her groan and laid her head back, her eyes closed.

"Are you alright, Austin?" Snape asked.

"Pardon, Professor?" Piper asked, apologetically.

Snape sighed, "I asked you if you were alright, Austin. You whacked your head pretty hard on that rock, though it seems Madame Pomfrey fixed the cut," Snape asked, sounding genuinely concerned, making Austin look slightly take aback.

"Yes, Professor. I'm fine. I just have a massive headache. And, I just wanted to say thanks, for saving me back in the lake..." Piper trailed off.

Snape got up at the same time as Piper and led her to the door, his hand on her lower back. "Do you need me to walk you back? In case of Malfoy..?"

Austin stopped him and shook her head, "Thanks, Professor, but I'm fine. Really," She said as Snape gave her a look to say, 'This coming from a girl who I just rescued from drowning in a lake?'

She started to walk away, but Snape stopped her by grabbing her wrist, "Sweet dreams, Piper."

Austin stared at him unbelievingly, so he added, "But, I still expect that homework tomorrow," his sneer returned, along with his lazy tone, but he never let go of her hand.

"Of course, Professor. I wouldn't expect anything less," Piper smiled at him and turned around and made her way back to the dorm.

Once she was out of sight, Snape sighed and returned back to his work, her face never leaving his mind...