Ready When You Are

Hey Brittany, Where is Your Engagement Ring

“Okay, your turn.”

“Hm,” Emerson brought her hand to her chin, then pointed up and said, “would you rather eat a handful of grass or have the entire bottom of your foot sun burned?”

I smirked at her. “Where did you come up with that? How would even go about sun burning the bottom of your foot?”

“I dunno, but that would suck wouldn’t it? Like you couldn’t walk.” Em laughed.

I smiled and shook my head. “Probably the grass, cause it’s only a handful right?”

Em nodded and snorted at me. “Still though, you have no idea what’s touched that grass.”

“Still,” I shook my head, “That would only last few seconds. If I sun burned the bottom of my foot, I couldn’t walk for days.”

“I see your logic, Kenley. Smart.” Em said as she shuffled through some records.

It was a Wednesday night and the store was next to empty. There were a few people walking outside, but besides that, it was just Em and me. Playing ‘Would You Rather’ seemed like a fun way to blow the time by.

All of a sudden, the door chimed open and two boys walked in. One of them had short hair and was wearing a plaid shirt and jeans with vans and the other boy was wearing a white v-neck and had a interesting beard. They smiled at Em and came over to us.

“Hey there Emerson.” The bearded boy said.

Em rolled her eyes and ran to hug them. “You guys didn’t tell me you were coming!’

“Well, surprise!” the one in the plaid shirt said.

I stood there awkwardly. As the boy yesterday was, these guys were really hot. Why were there so many well-dressed, attractive men in Tempe?

“Oh!” Em clapped her hands and turned to me, “Guys, this is my new friend Kenley. She just moved here and I gave her a job! This is John, and this is Kennedy.”

“Kennedy and Kenley?” John said. “This is going to be confusing.”

I laughed. “You can call me whatever you want, I don’t mind.”

“Well how about I call you my girlfriend, then?” Kennedy said, putting his arm around me as Em rolled her eyes and flicked it off.

“Sorry boys,” Em shrugged. “My beautiful gem of a friend here is taken. Looks like you’re stuck with me, Ken.”

Kennedy groaned and laughed as Em gave him a little love-tap on the shoulder. He whispered something in her ear as they laughed. I didn’t think Em had a boyfriend, but they seemed like they were going out.

I leaned into John. “Are they like… a thing?”

John rolled his eyes and laughed. “Used to be. And should be.”

I nodded and bit my lip. They would be a cute couple. And then Em wouldn’t have to leave me alone in the shop while she went to go check out the delivery boy down the street.

“Well down to business,” John clapped his hands to get their attention, “I’m having a party at my house tomorrow. You should come. I’m sure the guys would love to meet Em’s new best friend.”

“Finally made a friend whose a girl, eh?” Kennedy joked, earning another hit on the arm.

I laughed to myself. “Sure, I’ll be there.”

“Come on, Ken.” John said, grabbing Kenny’s arm, “We gotta pick up Garrett. Peace ladies.”

The boys walked out of the store and I looked over at Em to exchange a laugh.

“Sorry about them,” she sighed, “I’ve know them forever. Pat, their band’s drummer, and Tim, their manager, live next door to me. They’re like my brothers.”

“Kennedy is definitely not your brother.” I laughed. It was my turn to be hit by Emerson.

“I guess we had a thing,” Em said, looking at the ceiling, “but it was back in like junior high. It didn’t work out, and we’re just good friends now.”

“Uh huh.” I said plainly.

Em rolled her eyes once more and grabbed her coat and bag.

“Fifteen minutes to closing. Let’s just go.”

I grabbed my phone quickly. “Oh, Brendan dropped me off this morning. I’ll have to call-”

Em shook her head and grabbed my hand as I hastily got my bag and we locked up the shop, turned off the lights, and put the cash box in the backroom.

“I’ll give you a ride, Ken. No worries.”

A sigh of relief ran over me. “Thanks so much. Brendan is probably busy with band stuff.”

“Too busy to come and get his girlfriend?” Em questioned as we walked over to a black jeep. She beeped it open and I slid in the passenger seat.

“Well, yeah.” Brendan was a busy guy. He didn’t have time to stop and worry about me. It was completely understandable.

Em rolled her eyes for about the dozenth time that night and I gave her directions to my apartment.

“That’s not too far from Gare’s house.” She noted to herself as she turned onto the main road.

“So,” Em said, “tell me about Brendan and yourself.”

I bit my lip. “We met in high school at one of his lacrosse games,” Ems snorted and I went on, “and he asked me out a few weeks later. It’s been simple after that. He got into music last year, and has had a band ever since. So he put college on hold and went for this whole scene. And I’m kind of just along for the ride.”

“Well did you want to come here?” Em questioned, turning onto my street as she sipped whatever was in the Mcdonald’s cup.

I wasn’t sure how to answer that. I had to come here, my boyfriend was moving and if I wanted to stay with him, it was more than necessary. So yes, I guess I did want to. Even though part of me did want to stay home. But I would have moved eventually. Moving with Brendan now just seemed… simpler.

“Uh… yeah.” I nodded, as if I was trying to convince myself.

Em eyed me and pulled into the complex’s driveway. I grabbed my bag and opened the door.

“Do you want me to pick you up tomorrow for John’s?” Em stuck her head out the window and smiled.

I nodded. “Thanks Em!”

She saluted me as I ran up the stairs to my apartment. There was a weird feeling filling my stomach. One that hadn’t ever been there before.

It felt as if I was going back to a place where I had to change. Like Em’s car and Brendan and I’s apartment were located in two different states.

Like back down the stairs felt like fresh air. And behind the door felt like there was a pressure on my stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
kind of a filler. but she met John and Kenny, which is always a good time.
have I told you Em is my favorite character I've ever written? She is like my ideal best friend ok.
comments?