Long Hot Summer

Two

Jillian’s POV

I wasn’t expecting to hear from Patrick ever again. He was a gorgeous, rich, and an extremely charming NHL player. He could get any girl he wanted; I had no doubt of that. Why would he be interested in me? That’s what I kept asking myself and I’d basically pushed him into the back of my mind for the past couple of days, almost forgetting all about the upcoming Canada Day festivities. So, you can imagine my surprise when I received a phone call late last night and the caller ID flashed “Patrick Sharp.”

“Hello?” I answered hesitantly.

“Jillian? It’s Patrick. I hope it’s not too late to be calling you.”

“Hi Patrick. No worries, I was just putting away some laundry. What’s up?”

He cleared his throat, like he was nervous. “ Well, I remember you saying you didn’t have any plans for Canada Day and I was hoping you might still be interested in hanging out with me.”

I didn’t say anything for a few seconds. I was kind of shocked that Patrick still wanted to spend Canada Day with me, and I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea. We’d only just met and I thought it might be awkward to be around his family on a holiday.

“Jillian?” I heard him say. “Are you still there?”

“Sorry, yes I am. Are you sure your family won’t mind? Did you ask them? I don’t want to intrude on your family holiday.”

“Yes I did and they’re cool with it. It’s going to be my parents, my brother and his family, and a few of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. You’ll blend in just fine.”

I bit my lip, trying to decide if I should accept or decline. I wanted to say yes, but I was still hesitant to be around Patrick’s family. I didn’t even know him that well and I didn’t want his family to get any ideas about us. There was no us, nor did I think there ever would be. I wasn’t interested in being another notch on an NHL player’s bedpost. I wasn’t that type of girl, and I had no idea what kind of intentions Patrick had towards me, but I was sure he didn’t just want to shoot the breeze with me. But, I guess there wasn’t any harm in spending Canada Day with him. It wasn’t like I had anything better to do anyway.

“I guess I could hang out with you for a little bit. What time?”

“I was thinking I could pick you up around noon because my parents are having a barbeque at their place at one. Does that work for you?”

“Yeah, that should be fine. Do you want me to text you my address?”

“That would be great.”

“Should I bring anything for the barbeque?”

“Don’t worry about it. We’ll have plenty of food.”

“OK. Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“I’m looking forward to it. Goodnight, Jillian.”

“Goodnight, Patrick.”

I ended the call and I felt like pinching myself. Was this really happening? Was I really spending Canada Day with Patrick Sharp and his family? I seemed as though I was, and even though Patrick said I didn’t need to bring anything, I was going to do it anyway. My mom had always told me to never come to someone’s house empty handed. Now I just needed to decide what I was going to wear.

~*~*~

I decided to wear a yellow halter sundress. I liked to think of it as casual chic and I thought it would be appropriate for the day. I also wore a pink head wrap, leaving my hair long straight trusses down. I did my makeup like I would any other day, light and natural, applying a bit of lip gloss for some added color. Patrick was going to here soon and I could feel myself starting to get nervous. Even though I had no intention of getting my hopes up of anything happening between Patrick and I, I still found him incredibly attractive, and what girl wouldn’t feel a little giddy over someone like Patrick taking an interest in them?

I was putting the finishing touches on my makeup when I heard a knock on my door. I gave myself a final once over in the mirror before grabbing the container of chocolate chip cookies I’d baked late last night and heading to the door.

I opened the door to find Patrick wearing a blue plaid shirt, a pair of dark gray shorts, and a heartbreaker grin on his face. He looked hot, and he smelled good too. Shooter was at his feet.

“Hey. I hope you don’t mind. My parents wanted me to bring Shooter along, so he’s going to be in the car with us. You look beautiful, by the way,” he said.

“Thank you. Of course I don’t mind. Shooter and I go way back,” I said, bending down to pat Shooter’s head. He wagged his tail excitedly in response. “I made some chocolate chip cookies. I hope no one’s allergic.”

“I told you that you didn’t have to bring anything,” he said, walking towards the parking lot.

“I know, but you should know that I don’t always do what I’m told.”

“Duly noted,” he said, opening the passenger door for me.

“Thank you,” I said, situating myself in the car.

Patrick let Shooter in the backseat, but we hadn’t even pulled out of the parking lot before Shooter had found his way into the passenger seat, on my lap, attacking my face with kisses.

“Shooter! Lay off the lady. You’re getting farther than I have,” Patrick said, with a quick grin in my direction.

“I don’t mind,” I said, scratching behind Shooter’s ears. He cocked his head to the side in pleasure, trying to push his right ear closer to my hand. “He’s a good boy. Just a little overexcited, but that’s the MO of a puppy.”

We had a short drive to Patrick parents’ house, which we spent casually chatting. There weren’t really any awkward or uncomfortable moments of silence, which often happen on a first date. Not that this was a date. I’m not really sure what it was, but it was nice not to feel any pressure. I didn’t have any expectations, and I didn’t think Patrick did either.

We pulled up to a ranch-style home on a cul-de-sac street. It has a bay window in the front and several flowers planted along the path to the front door. It seemed like a very warm and inviting home.

“Did you grow up here?” I asked.

“Yep. Well, we moved here when I was about two, but I really don’t have any memories of our first house. This is where all the memories are.”

I smiled. “It’s a really nice house. I’m sure you have a lot of great memories growing up here.”

“I do. My parents sacrificed quite a bit to help with my hockey as a kid. I owe them a lot. My brother played for a while too, but didn’t have the passion I have for the game. He’s married with a kid and has a good job in Calgary now, and it looks like they’re already here.”

I looked around and noticed there were two cars parked in the driveway and three more parked along the street. Patrick found a spot across from his parents’ house and parked the car. We got out, Patrick took Shooter’s leash, and we headed to the door. Patrick rang the doorbell, and it wasn’t even a minute before the door opened and a middle aged woman with light brown hair greeted us with a smile.

“Patrick! I’m so glad you made it. You’re one of the last ones here,” she said, pulling him into a hug.

“Sorry, mom. You know me. I like to be fashionably late. Mom, this is my friend Jillian, Jillian, this is my mom, Ruth Ann.”

Ruth Ann gave me a warm smile and shook my hand. “It’s nice to meet you, Jillian. We’re happy to welcome you into our home. Patrick said you didn’t have anywhere to go, and we couldn’t have you spending Canada Day by yourself.”

I returned her smile. “Thank you, Mrs. Sharp. I really appreciate you allowing me to share the holiday with your family. I made some chocolate chip cookies,” I said, handing her the container.

“Please, call me Ruth Ann, dear, and it’s our pleasure. Thank you for making the cookies. I’m sure they’re delicious. Come on in. You too, Shooter,” she said, bending down to greet him.

We walked inside the modest, but still spacious living room. No one was there.

“Everyone is in the backyard,” Ruth Ann said, as though she was reading my mind. “Why don’t you two get something to drink from the kitchen and head out there.”

Patrick put his arm around her shoulder and kissed the top of her head. “You always know how to take care of me, mom.”

“I’ve been doing it a long time. It’s hard habit to break,” she said, winking at me. I smiled and followed them into the kitchen.

After grabbing drinks, Patrick and I headed to the backyard, where I was introduced to Patrick’s dad, Ian, who was manning the grill. He was just as nice and as Patrick’s mom and also insisted I call him by his first name. I met Patrick’s brother Chris, his wife Lindsay, and their one year old daughter, Madison. She was absolutely adorable, with dark brown curls and bright blue eyes. All of Patrick’s family made me feel welcome and they didn’t show any indication that Patrick bringing a girl for a family gathering was something out of the ordinary, which made me wonder whether Patrick was more of a womanizer than he let on. I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind.

We had a really great lunch before heading a few blocks away to watch the local Canada Day parade. Patrick sat next to me in a lawn chair and put his arm around my chair and leaned in close.

“Are you having fun?” he asked, his face dangerously close to mine.

I looked over at him and nodded, still unsure why a guy like him was the least bit interested in me. “I am. I know I was a little hesitant to spend the day with you and your family, but I’m glad I did. Your family has been really kind to me. Thanks for inviting me.”

He gave me a warm smile. “I hope you’ve had fun with me, and Shooter too, of course.”

I looked down to where Shooter was resting by our feet. “Shooter and I are buddies, so we always have fun,” I teased.

“I see how it is. You’re using me for my dog,” he said, shaking his head.

I grinned at him. “I’ve had a good time with you too, Patrick. You’re far too charming for your own good though.”

“You don’t know the half of it,” he whispered in my ear before grinning and turning his attention back to the parade.

Once the parade was over, we headed back to his parents’ house to spend the rest of the time hanging out until we had to head to the lake for the fireworks display. I watched as Patrick pushed his niece in her little swing in the backyard while he chatted with his brother. I was sitting on the deck with Ruth Ann and Lindsay.

“You know, Jillian, I’m not sure how familiar you are with Patrick, but I just want you to know that he rarely brings home girls like this.”

I was a little taken aback by Ruth Ann’s confession. “Oh really? Well I suppose that’s reassuring,” I said with a nervous laugh.

“It’s true though. I’ve been with Chris for almost six years now, and I’ve only met maybe two girls Patrick’s dated. He’s a good guy,” Lindsay assured me with a smile.

“I just thought you should know dear,” Ruth Ann said, patting my arm. “My son seems quite enamored with you.”

I wasn’t sure what to say to that. Obviously Patrick hadn’t mentioned to his family that we’d just met a couple of days ago. So, I just smiled and pretended like what she said didn’t have an effect on me.

A few hours later we were headed to the lake for the fireworks.

~*~*~

Patrick’s POV

I was happy Jillian had stuck around all day. I felt a little bad thrusting her in with my family so soon after meeting her, but I didn’t know how else to get her to see me again, and I definitely wanted to get to know her better. She seemed to fit in well with my family though, and she didn’t appear uncomfortable, which made me breathe a sigh of relief.

We went with my family to the fireworks, but I had other plans when we got there. I was going to take Jillian back to the pier where we’d first met to watch the fireworks. As we were walking, I took her hand and started leading her away from where my family had decided to sit.

She gave me a confused look. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see,” was all I said.

“But what about your family?”

“They’ll be fine. Don’t worry about it.”

I had a blanket folded under my arm and I still held Jillian’s hand as we made our way to the pier. She still seemed confused, but I saw a look of understanding cross her face when she saw the pier. I set down the blanket in a spot that hadn’t yet been occupied and plopped down, bringing her down with me.

“I thought we should watch them from where we first met,” I told her, with a slight shrug of my shoulders.

She graced me with a breathtaking smile. She was truly gorgeous. “That’s a sweet and romantic gesture, considering this is kind of our first date, don’t you think?”

I thought about that for a second. “Isn’t dating supposed to be about romance and all that? Speaking of which, do you want this to be a date?” I asked hopefully.

She bit her lip. “I don’t know, Patrick. This is all so crazy. I like you and your family is amazing, but we literally just met and I don’t know if it’s smart to get involved with someone like you. You’re going to be going back to Chicago before long, and I…”

She was cut off by the beginning of the fireworks and we both had our attention on the sky. But that didn’t stop me from thinking about what she said. What did someone like me mean, exactly? I understood her being hesitant to jump into a relationship with me because of my career, but I still didn’t see the harm in giving it a shot.

I looked over at her as the fireworks were going off and she looked so pretty. She was so natural and unassuming in how beautiful she really was. I felt like having someone like her in my life would be good for me and so different from what I was used to. Jillian must’ve of felt me staring at her because she glanced over at me, and instead of feeling embarrassed, I felt the overpowering desire to kiss her, something I’d been dying to do all day long. I looked down at her full lips and knew I couldn’t deny myself the pleasure of tasting them. I put my hand behind her neck to bring her close to me before capturing her lips in sweet and gentle kiss. She seemed surprised by my actions but didn’t pull away. In fact, she soon became more aggressive, putting her arms around my shoulders and pulled me even closer to her body.

The kiss could’ve lasted one minute or one hour and I wouldn’t have known the difference. It was incredible and so was Jillian. I was aware of the fact that the fireworks display was quickly approaching its grand finale because the fireworks were coming faster and there were more and more booms filling my ears, but I could barely hear them. I was more focused on Jillian and our kiss. When the fireworks display was clearly over, I finally pulled away. Jillian gave me a sheepish grin. I wasn’t embarrassed at all. I lightly caressed her cheek with my thumb.

“Jillian?”

“Hmm?” she answered, appearing to be in some sort of a daze. I couldn’t help but grin, knowing I had done that to her.

“I want to finish our conversation from earlier. I want you to know that I like you, and I agree, this is crazy, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting to see where this,” I said, gesturing my hand in between us, “might take us. It’s going to be a long, hot summer here in Thunder Bay, Jillian, and I’d love to spend the rest of my time here, getting to know you more, if you’re interested.”

“I like you too, Patrick, but I obviously have some apprehension about getting involved with you, but I have to admit that kiss has definitely gone in your favor,” she said with a grin. “But in all seriousness. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to give us a shot. I love your family and Shooter, and you’re not too bad either.”

“Gee thanks.”

“I’m teasing. You’re honestly perfect, Patrick. I don’t know why you’re even interested in someone like me.”

“I’m far from perfect, and you’re incredible, Jillian. I know I don’t know you that well, but from what I can tell, you’re a beautiful, intelligent, passionate, and kind-hearted person, and I’m sure there’s so much more to you that I’ve yet to discover.”

“I’ve said it before and I say it again, you’re smooth, Patrick Sharp,” she said with a smile.

“I hope that’s one of my charming qualities,” I grinned.

“Possibly.”

“So, are you willing to give this a go?”

She shocked me by answering with a quick, but firm kiss. “If it means I’ll get to do that more often, yes.”

“You can do that as often as you’d like,” I said, pulling her close to me.

As I said, the summers in Thunder Bay are notorious for being long and hot, but I had a feeling I was going to enjoy the rest of the summer here until it was time to return to Chicago. I had no idea what would happen between Jillian and I when that time came, but I looking forward to spending more time with beautiful woman beside me.