Status: In Progress

Falling Into Place

Chapter 16

I saw Summer looking at me. I knew there was pain and regret in my eyes. I don't like seeing my best friend like this. It tore my heart; especially since I knew this was my fault. I knew Jack was there but he was so quiet; it was like he wasn't. I saw Summer nod to my apology; though from her eyes I knew she thought I had no reason to apologize.

"His karma bit him in the ass." I said kinda gloomy.

She asked trying to be funny, "Why did you bit his ass?

I replied slightly laughing, "Girly, you know I'm not that sick!

I heard her dad call her and I nearly flinched; as it was I think I grimaced. His voice sounded loveless. She didn't see my grimace because her head was turned.

She sighed saying, "I need to go."

I looked at her and said, "Summer, if you need anything, I'm here for you."

She said, "Okay, Jess." I cleared my throat, and she looked at me.

"Summer, I'm serious."

She replied, "I know." as her bother wheeled her away.

She looked over her shoulder and I knew there was worry on my face. I did what I could at school, but from the sound of her dad's voice her home life wasn't good.

I sighed knowing there was nothing I could do. I drove myself home slowly thinking about how crappy this day was.

I opened my car door and my mom walked outside to meet me. I looked at her noting the envelope in her hand. Then I looked up at her face and noticed how messed up her hair was and the cigarette in her mouth.

Smoking was a bad habit she had kicked along time ago, but sometimes when she got extremely stressed she forgot and smoked one.

"Mom, I thought you got rid of all your packs." I said gesturing to the one in her mouth. She looked at me and handing me the envelope she said the words that would change my whole life.