Status: In Progress

Falling Into Place

Chapter 17.

When we got home the house was dead quiet. It startled me because this was something I'd never heard in my life. The air seemed to hang with gloom and death ,but in my heart I knew no one died. I was on crutches now so when I looked at the floor all the clothes, broken bottles, and discarded boxes became a new challenge in my life. Jack began to clear a path, his head was low and it was like he'd lost his voice. My dad pushed me out of the door way sending me to meet the floor. All at once Jack turned and pushed him into the table that held a lamp that we'd had since we moved here, I was born here. Toppling the lamp over my dad rushed to his feet now eye to eye with Jack.

"Don't treat her that way! I've had it!" he screamed at dad.

"Don't you raise your voice to me you sorry son of a bitch!" my dad screamed back at Jack, his hands snaked around his throat as he held him off the ground.

I held my breath and watched them. Jack tried to claw himself free my father's hands. Seconds felt like years. Tears clouded his eyes from lack of air. Finally dad threw him in the corner to lay there and choke in breaths of sweet oxygen. I pulled myself near my brother as shards of glass met my hands and good leg. Touching his shoulder, I saw him tense and slap my hand away. He was shaken up badly. That's the sole reason I didn't take offense of this. When he got this way touching him was out of question. Still, it was habit for me to touch his shoulder.

"Worthless pieces of trash. You two are good for nothing, if the government didn't give me a check for you Jack you'd be gone. You and your mother both," my dad went on mumbling as he took a beer from the fridge.

"Please," I whispered, "don't talk about him like that daddy."

"You shut up! I don't want to hear anything from you," he shouted harshly at me, throwing a glass just over my head.

It shattered against the wall behind Jack, I saw small shards land on him. Going silent, I began to cry. Jack pulled me near him on the ground as I got close. He breathed calmly and stroked my hair. I closed my eyes, just praying that we'd be okay.

Sometimes I'd say this was a dream. I was the daughter of a wealthy family that owned a big house. My brother was going to collage and I was in a private school. My father was a doctor and my mother owned a business that produced phones or something. But they'd sent me away to some other world or I'd fallen through some sort of mirror where everything the opposite. Now, I'm stranded here in this hell. Sooner or later we're forced to wake up and face reality. I guess now it's my turn.