Status: In Progress

Falling Into Place

Chapter 18

The words that changed my whole life were simply, "Your dad sent you this letter." Yea, yea I know what your thinking, How could those six words change your whole life? Well for one I thought he was dead. That's what my mom let me think. She didn't even try to correct me when I first thought that, and two I didn't know he knew he had a kid!

I was so wrapped up in my thoughts I was even more surprised when my mom shoved the letter into my unresponsive hand. I felt like someone took my world and turned it upside down. I looked at the letter then back at my mom just now noticing the bloodshot eyes.

I heard a voice that sounded numb and angry, "How long have you had this letter, Mom?" I vaguely realized it was my voice. I continued to look at her waiting for her slow response. "I.....I've had it for a night." She answered like a scared child.

The angry, impatient voice, that was mine though it didn't sound like it replied, "One whole night and you didn't tell me?!" Then it suddenly clciked into place for me. "The car was a bribe! To soften me up so I wouldn't be so hard on you." It felt as if that was a million days ago instead of just this morning.

I looked at her shocked and betrayed. "You had this letter the whole night and didn't tell me. What else have you kept from me, mom.She flinched at the accusation in my voice. I didn't wait for her answer.

I walked inside slamming the door, leaving her out there, stomping my boots against the floor snow coming off them in waves. Apparently at some point in this confirmation it had started to snow. I hadn't noticed it and I doubt she had either, but right now I was too mad to care.

I went up to my room, leaving the snow to turn to water on the kitchen floor on purpose. I slammed the door there too. and with shaking hands I opened the letter from my dad, a man i didn't know.