Status: In Progress

Falling Into Place

Chapter 22

I couldn't help, but notice the eerie tension in the house. I wondered where my mother was. I hadn't heard the door open again, but then again my music was loud. I was listening to Soldiers by Otherwise. I almost went downstairs, then I heard a loud bang over my music. I knew it was the door.

I looked at my computer wondering if I should apologize to my mom. I quickly shook my head. "No, she hid the letter from me never told me about him. Just let me think he was dead.
I think it might be better if I wait till I'm calmer." I mumbled to myself. There was a rock thrown at my window.

I looked out and saw Derrick. I smirked. By my bed there's a nightstand. Bythe nightstand was a metal baseball bat like the one from my car earlier. I grabbed it, as I heard another ping, from a rock hitting my window again. The bat was sturdy in my hands and at the bottom it had JDH in a cursive script on the bottom my initials. I racked my brain trying to remember where the bat came from,but to no avail.

I locked my computer so in-case my mom came up into my room and hid the letter in my pants pocket, which was covered by my jacket. I found some gloves and put them on. I grabbed the bat again and slowly opened my door. I could hear the TV going. I carefully snuck downstairs and went out the back door connected to the kitchen.

I looked at Derrick, from around the bushes, who didn't know about the back door. I gripped the bat hard, I didn't trust him at all especially after what he did to my friend. He didn't know I was out here, but if I hadn't known what he was capable of I probably would still be in his trap. He looked like he was ready to throw another rock at my window.

I hadn't seen him since I dealt with him, and I certainly didn't want to see him now. I knew I had to take care of him once or for all if I was going to get him to leave me alone. I whistled loudly. He looked over towards the bushes where I was.

I wasn't prepared for the damage to his face. It was horrible. He looked almost like a zombie out of a movie. He had two black eyes, and half the skin on his face didn't match his skin tone. and his nose was broken. I could see I did meager damage to his jaw and left arm. His left arm was in a sling and his jaw looked like it had nearly been crushed. His breathing was ragged, but I couldn't tell if it was from the cold or me. Looking at his jaw again I figured it had to be from both.

I bit my lip. I hadn't realized all the damage I did, but it was even to the damage done to Summer emotionally and physically. Maybe it was even worse. I couldn't tell, I didn't want to get near him at all.

I gathered my courage and stepped out of the bushes. "What do you want Derrick?" He looked at me and when he saw the bat his eyes went wide. Like he remembered the revenge, which he couldn't have because he had been drunk. He clearly wasn't drunk now, but his eyes showed fear.

If he had been describing me he probably would've said something like a wolf hunting it's prey. I could feel the fierceness on my face and in my eyes. "Get away from my house and friends." The voice that was speaking was mine, but it was more like a growl. It came from my clenched teeth.

He understood I wasn't playing with him. He must've figured out my unspoken threat, I wasn't kidding around, if he came back I would use this bat and he might not be so lucky next time. He started running. He looked back once and I made a show of twirling the bat. He turned around and put on a burst of speed.

I thought of Summer and my eyes were fiercer. I spit on the ground where Derrick had been standing. "Dick."

I went back to my room, putting the bat down, my thoughts turned back to Summer.

I'm not psychic or anything, but I was worried.Call it what you want, intuition, or best friends wo,rry,but I had a feeling something bad had happened. I had a feeling that I was about to learn about something bad had happened.