Status: In Progress

Falling Into Place

Chapter 8

I unlocked my new car and Derrick opened the door for me. I climbed in and put the key in the ignition, feeling the engine purr. I took a few minutes to savor the feel of this moment, the seat under me, the sound of the engine, my first real car, and all that it means.

I nearly jumped up and down in the car except I was afraid I'd hurt it, and THAT was the last thing I wanted to do. No more riding the bus!!!!! YEA WHO! Derrick looked at me like I was crazy, which hey who knows? Maybe, I am crazy. Then again he didn't know what I was thinking.

I gave him a stern look. He shrugged climbing into the back. I saw him put on his seat belt, mine was already on. As soon as I heard the click I waved to my mom, and took off driving the speed limit, but all I wanted was for school to be over so, I could drive all though town in my new car.

We met Summer at Henning. To tell you the truth, I was eager to hear her opinion of my new car. But when we got there, I noticed she had rings under her eyes, there was glass on her sleeve, and she looked like she got no sleep at all. She was extremely pale and it worried me. To be honest, I was more then worried, and little surprised she didn't tell me no and just walk. Then, again she knows that I'm always there if she needs me, and she could tell me anything, or she should know that. Plus, she hates walking and even I know that, but I thought she hated the bus worse. Derrick was silent, but even he could see I was worried.

I bit my bottom lip trying to decide if I should ask her what went on, but by the time we got close to school, and the coffee shop I still hadn't said anything. The only noise in the car their was was the radio turned down in the background. To break the silence, I asked if anyone wanted a coffee on me. Derrick immediately said no, but he seemed distracted. Only later would I know why.

Actually, it wasn't him I was paying attention too. It was Summer, and something seemed off to me. I just couldn't place my finger on it. Maybe, she was more quiet then normal? I eventually gave up on trying to guess what it was. I just waited for her answer patiently, all my excitement gone replaced with concern for my best friend.